Yamaha DSP-AX630SE - comments ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gotan, Jul 4, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Gotan

Gotan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of replacing my existing Yamaha DSP-595a A/V amp with a shiny new Yamaha - DSP-AX630SE.

Mainly for the additional optical digital input(s) and SVHS inputs, so that I can run all my gear through the AMP and then run one SVHS cable to my projector.

I was just wondering if anyone else had the DSP-AX630SE, if so, what do you think, any comments good or bad - let me know please ...

:)

Many thanks in advance

2. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a RXV-596 before the present RX-V630. In a nutshell, the 630 are much more musical with more warmth, treble less congested and generally much better tonal balance etc... The 596 has more slam factor so more suited for heavy bass but the 630's bass though less "slam & solid", seems more textured. In another word, 630 more for music and 596 more for explosive movies.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Demoed this recently. It was first demo for shop. Chap who demoed it was surprised by musicality of the 630. Compared to what had come b4 he said it was vast improvement. Compared it against the current "music" friendly marantz and found that there was very little in it, slightly more control on marantz but the Yam was better equipped for film and cheaper (went for the Marantz in the end though)

4. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never got the chance to compare the Marantz myself. But my friend keeps telling me to forget about it claiming it can never go as loud as a Yamaha. True or false?

And did you get a chance to hear the AZ1?

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    When demoing Yamaha and marantz obviously used different reference volumes as setting them at the same indicated volume gave a blast from the Yamaha and quietness from the Marantz. The Yamaha may be able to go louder but the Marantz went loud enough for me with a little to spare. What swung it for me was that regardless of the volume the Marantz gave a precise controlled sound, where as the Yamaha seemed to get muddled the higher it went. Lost detail the quieter it went but had a sweet area in between.What really swung it for me was the Bass was so controlled on the Marantz when listening to bass rich music. Where as the yamaha just boomed the bass out. Im sure I could have tweaked both to exploit bells and whistles to make it closer match but I demoed each with minimum intereference (source direct on marantz and plain 2 channel stereo on yam).

By the way I demoed both with my own speakers and DVD player, but in the store demo room which although a reaonable size had a very low ceiling so the bass muddling on the yamaha may have been the result of the environment

I suppose thats a long answer to say TRUE the Yamaha is louder. :clown:

6. Gotan

Gotan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input so far all, I have yet more questions (sorry).

If I do opt for the DSP-AX630SE, I'll but using it to switch audio/video feeds for the following kit.

- Pioneer DVD player (multi region, hence PAL & NTSC)
    - US Import Sony PS2 (NTSC Only)
    - Pace Sky+ digibox

I plan to run all of the above through SVHS to the Amp and then run a SVHS lead from the Amp to my Panasonic PT-AE100E Projector.

My major question is this, does the Yamaha DSP-AX630SE handle NTSC (for R1 DVD playback and my PS2), and also can it switch between passing NTSC & PAL automatically.

Thanks in advance all !

Cheers