1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP AX630 SE Good?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BT52, May 16, 2002.

Tags:
  1. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For £359 this seems to be rather good. Prologic 2, dts, DD-EX.
    Is it any better than the Marantz 5200 (£338)?

Can anyone give me a good reason not to go for it?
    This is my first foray into the world of surround sound. Want to use for DVDs/Sky digital/Music pretty much equal all round.

Am I right in thinking that EX and ES means there is a seperate output for a centre rear? Am I also right in thinking that this extra channel is derived from the others and you need dts-discrete to get a proper centre rear?

Also, would the 702E + Mission 70DS (White) + Mission 70C1 for £239 be a good set of speakers to go with it?

Cheers
    Mark

2. BillyW

BillyW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got one as my first foray into home cinema too. I was having problems with using an external power amp but it's okay now.
    However, this meant I was using it directly to a pair of Dynaudio 60's, Mission M70's and a M7C2 centre. To my ears it is certainly good although admittedly I don't have too much to compare it with, only a couple of friends setups. The DPL2 sounds really good if you watch a lot of normal TV.

You might be able to get one cheaper than that though, I got mine for 289 from empiredirect but I think they may have bumped the price up now.

3. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    youre right about the price jump, i noticed they bumped it up for some reason

4. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless Yamaha have improved dramatically in the last couple of years they are generally not great with stereo music - generally described as inoffensive, Denon is also in my opinion not great either. I did notice a nakamichi in RS for 200 or 300 advertised in HCC magazine (can't remeber which), they are quite good in stereo not sure about AV though

5. BillyW

BillyW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree with you there, don't buy the yamaha to play music on.

6. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    I would agree also - shame as the prologic II music mode is great but not hifi