Yamaha DSP AX63 & Sky+ help...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Shotgun Mick, Feb 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Shotgun Mick

Shotgun Mick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

After some great advice from you fellas on here I have purchased a DSP-AX463 and I am just setting it all up now.

I have connected it via optical cable to my sky+ box (not HD) and changed the settings on my sky menu but the display on the receiver just shows that the two front speakers are on. Is this normal for sky? I was hoping it would come through all the speakers the same as when the xbox/dvd is on i.e 5.1.

I have gone through the instructions and haven't found any solutions (I'm not the most technical person at the best of times!)

Cheers guys,

Mick :thumbsup:

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    You need to have your Sky box on a channel outputting a 5.1 signal...a movie channel perhaps.

3. JoeA3

JoeA3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Unless you have the movie channels, then there's little or no DD5.1 programming on SD Sky+. Even Sky Sports is only in stereo, whereas on SkyHD, its 5.1.

Another strange one I noticed myself, some stuff that's recorded by Sky "Anytime" is recorded in DD5.1, e.g. I noticed LOST is on my Anytime planner in 5.1, but the original Sky1 version of the programme was broadcast in standard stereo.

If you want "surround" sound on stereo sources, you'll need to select Dolby Pro-Logic II or similar on your Amp, so your amp then attempts to create a surround sound effect from 2-channel stereo. It can be effective enough at times, but obviously not as good as the real deal.

4. Shotgun Mick

Shotgun Mick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm that's a bit sneaky.

What about when you press the i button on the remote control and it says DS in the little yellow bar (for example, The Fugitive on Sky1 tonight). I'm guessing that stands for Dolby Surround? If I watch that will it be 5.1 or is that just for the Sky1 HD people?

Thanks again,

Mick

5. JoeA3

JoeA3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I think it's "DD" you have to look for in the Sky banner, i.e. "Dolby Digital". I can't remember what "DS" stands for, perhaps Digital Subtitles?! And you can't even fully rely on what the banner says. Film4 have "DD" in the banner for lots of films, but they are broadcasting stereo anytime I checked it.

And there's a seperate channel number for Sky1HD. Same as there is for Sky Sports, e.g. SS1 is on channel 401, the HD version is on 408 as far as I remember. So, for example, "Super Sunday" on channel 401 will be in Stereo, but the same programme on channel 408 will be in 5.1 High definition.

DD 5.1 requires a lot more bandwidth I believe, hence why Sky probably don't use it for SD viewers, other than on the premium movie channels. It's all a ploy by Sky to make us upgrade....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  6. Shotgun Mick

Shotgun Mick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think DS is Dolby Surround which is turned into the Prologic sound, DD must be the 5.1 as you said Joe.

Ah what a *******, I was hoping to watch 24 on Sky1 with 5.1 sound. Don't fancy upgrading to Sky HD.

7. JoeA3

JoeA3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Have a look through the poxy "Sky Anytime" stuff in your planner, this is stuff that Sky record for you automatically without you asking for it. As I said in my first reply, I noticed that Lost was recorded on there in 5.1 DD - pity the program itself is utter tripe though :D There's loads of other stuff recorded on it too.

I wasn't intending to upgrade to HD for a while either, I'm paying them enough as it is.

And try the Dolby pro-logic II feature on your amp, it works quite well for non 5.1 stuff.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  8. Shotgun Mick

Shotgun Mick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Joe. I've stuck it on Pro Logic on my receiver but looking online, Pro Logic is outdated now in favour of Pro Logic II. It does have Pro Logic II on my receiver but I'm just curious why Yamaha would put Pro Logic as an option is it is now outdated??

9. JoeA3

JoeA3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yeah mine (a new Pioneer) has standard out-dated Pro-logic too (which my manual describes as 4.1 surround sound). Not sure why they include it now to be honest.

10. Shotgun Mick

Shotgun Mick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    One more thing Joe (Columbo style!)

When you are watching tv with ProLogicII enabled if you stick your ears right up to one of the rear speakers (when someone is talking) can you hear a kind of high pitched noise as if they are on helium talking under water???

What the ffffffffff...............

11. JoeA3

JoeA3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yep! You kinda here a squiggly interference type of noise from them, depending on what's on. It's a normal side-effect of Pro-logic II as far as I'm aware!

Still, I think the overall sound from PL II is much better than listening in normal stereo, as I find mine sounds lifeless stereo mode. Perhaps if I had bigger front speakers it wouldn't be an issue.

12. nickymarshall

nickymarshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    DS is Dolby Stereo