1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-AX2 - mains outlet and rs232 questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Lum, Aug 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Lum

Lum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Yamaha DSP-AX2 that I bought from Richer Sounds a few years back (for half price because no-one wanted the black ones :smashin: ) though it's probably a grey import or something.

There is a mains socket on the back, which I beleive is switched, though I have no idea what kind of plug it is. I took a picture and asked at Maplins but no-one could tell. It does not look like a continental one.

Edit: [​IMG]

The entire socket measures roughly 3cm x 2cm

Any idea what standard this is, and what I need to ask for when buying an adaptor. I want to run my Yamaha YST-SW90 subwoofer from it as I am too lazy to get up and switch the thing off at the end of the day.

Also, there is an RS-232 serial connector on the back but I cannot find any information about this. Can you do anything interesting with it? what are the comms parameters and what kind of cable should be used to hook it up? (I'm guessing 9600N81 and a null-modem cable)

Maybe a little off topic, but there is an "input mode" button on the front panel, is there a remote code for this as I often need to force my LaserDiscs to analogue if they're bilingual, and again I'm too lazy to get up :)

2. Lum

Lum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have now found out that this plug is propietry and must be ordered from Yamaha's spares company (0870 990 9474), it costs £9.05

3. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't run the sub from it!

Its only designed for DVD/CD players etc

The sub may draw too much power and it may also degrade the sound from the receiver.

4. Lum

Lum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The socket is rated at 110W the sub is rated at either 100 or 90, can't remember which.

If it causes problems, I have a plan involving a wallcube style power supply (or a spare nokia charger as I have about 7 of them) and a 240V relay, basically turning that outlet into an on/off switch.

Thanks for the warning though :)

That's probably a better plan anyway as my old tape deck (Pioneer CT-W205R) doesn't have a standby mode, hell I may as well just plug my 10-in a line into this arrangement and save the electricity wasted by standby mode.

Edit: now if only there was an auto power on mod for my Tosh 46WH08B

5. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Lum

Lum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That's pretty cool, though I would have to daisy chain power leads in order to make use of it (too many devices), which is a very bad thing I am told.

However, since I've alreay received the Yamaha plug and put some wire and a trailing socket on the end, I may as well continue down the route I'm going. It'll be a fun project anyways.