Yamaha DSP ax 2. or Denon AVC-A10SE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dave20, Mar 1, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    basically i have B&W 603 front speakers and am desperately needing more quality and power, could someone give me advice on which one to buy..

i am looking for an amp which lets me channel the bass through the fronts, due to that fact that i dont have a sub as yet, but soon i will buy a REL.

Thx in advance for your reply

Dave

2. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or also any other amps you could suggest, and where i could get some good deals on buying them??

3. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know an amp that won't channel the bass through the fronts if you declare the L/R as large and the other speakers as small.

So, it's off for an audition then.

4. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answer to the "other amps" question I suggest you decide how much you want to spend and then see if the big Yamaha comes into play because I have seen some stonking deals on that. I'm a Denon fan myself but a lot of people are claiming that the new generation of Yamaha's are sounding a lot smoother than the older ones, more like Denon in fact!

5. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i want to spend max of £1000, hence the choice for the AX2 rather than the AX1..

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Dave,

It all depends on what you want.
    If you prioritise AV performance over music, I have found that the Yamaha lines of amps, like the AX2, are very good indeed. For some reason Yamaha amps have a powerful cinematic quality that other integrateds struggle to match. I wouldn't ever describe Yamaha amps as musical, though, so if you listen to the odd CD or three, then consider Denon A10SE. At the expense of that Yamaha cinematic sound, Denon amps sound more refined, something like the quality of an £400 stereo amp. Of course, if the new "EX" modes don't concern you, you could get an A2 and a 2 channel poweramp (Arcam alpha 9P) for £1000 all in and get the best of both worlds...

Russell

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,058
    Dave Sevenoaks are doing the AX1 at only £1299. Might be worth while waiting to save the extra £300 and going for that,after all the rrp is £2000.

8. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    IIRC, the AVC-A10SE is a good idea since it is 140 watts x 5 but the bonus is the fact that you can upgrade to 7.1 (Dolby 6.1 and dts 6.1) with an external amp later if you wish. Its THX so should run your speakers with ample foundation. I believe that it is sonically excellent for cinema and music. Can't really speak for Yamaha, but they do seem to be "catching up" to Denon sonically.

I have the AVC-A1SE and I wouldn't be without the surround backs or the power anymore (very clean sound and superb bass). When I bought it a couple of months back I auditioned everything I could and I advise you to do the same.

Happy hunting…

Mark B

9. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well. the denon do look extreemly promising. i am after a Amp mainly for home cinema use rather than playings cd's.. but one thing im not sure on is THX.. i am a little new to THX, by having an amp with THX certification, am i likely to gain a lot, without having THX speakers to go with it? is it the same as DTS where only some DVD's have it? sorry for the questions, but £1000 is a lot of money and i dont want to buy something that is likely to go out of date in a years time....

thanks for you hope so far.

dave

10. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This is a quote from the thx website
    [The amplifier must] "Pass many rigorous tests including frequency response, distortion, power output, and stability. Home THX Amplifiers are designed to drive Home THX Speaker Systems to cinema sound levels in home environments without distortion."

The following was lifted from the Denon AVC-A1SE user manual:
    THX is an exclusive set of standards and technologies established by the world-renowned film production company, Lucasfilm Ltd. THX grew from George Lucas’ personal desire to make your experience of the film soundtrack, in both movie theaters and in your home theater, as faithful as possible to what the director intended. Movie soundtracks are mixed in special movie theaters called dubbing stages and are designed to be played back in movie theaters with similar equipment and conditions. The soundtrack created for movie theaters is then transferred directly onto Laserdisc, VHS tape, DVD, etc., and is not changed for playback in a small home theater environment. THX engineers developed patented technologies to accurately translate the sound from the movie theater environment into the home, correcting the tonal and spatial errors that occur. On the AVR-5800, when the Home THX Cinema mode is on, THX processing is automatically added after the Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital or DTS decoder:

Re-Equalization TM
    The tonal balance of a film soundtrack will be excessively bright and harsh when played back over audio equipment in the home because film soundtracks are designed to be played back in large movie theaters using very different professional equipment. Re-Equalization restores the correct tonal balance for watching a movie soundtrack in a small home environment.

Timbre Matching TM
    The human ear changes our perception of a sound depending on the direction from which the sound is coming. In a movie theater, there is an array of surround speakers so that the surround information is all around you. In a home theater, only two speakers located to the side of your head are used. The Timbre Matching feature filters the information going to the surround speakers so that they more closely match the tonal characteristics of the sound coming from the front speakers. This ensures seamless panning between the front and surround speakers.

Adaptive Decorrelation TM
    In a movie theater, a large number of surround speakers help create an enveloping surround sound experience, while in a home theater there are usually only two speakers. This can make the surround speakers sound like headphones that lack spaciousness and envelopment. The surround sounds will also collapse into the closest speaker as you move away from the middle seating position. Adaptive Decorrelation slightly changes one surround channel’s time and phase relationship with respect to the other surround channel. This expands the listening position and creates—with only two speakers—the same spacious surround experience as in a movie theater.

THX Ultra TM
    Before any home theater component can be THX Ultra certified, it must incorporate all the features above and also pass a rigorous series of quality and performance tests. Only then can a product feature the THX Ultra logo, which is your guarantee that the Home Theater products you purchase will give you superb performance for many years to come. THX Ultra requirements cover every aspect of the product including power amplifier performance, pre-amplifier performance and operation, as well as hundreds of other parameters in both the digital and analog domain.

Hope that helps…
    Mark B