1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha Dsp-ai 5.1 Upgrade to 6.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MUD, Mar 7, 2001.

Tags:
  1. MUD

MUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI
    I have yamaha dsp-AI amp is there a upgrade with out upgrading for the next new model is there a hard ware you can get for that centre rear speaker to get 6.1 sound.
    MUD

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Add-on processors are available from ADA (ADA 6.1) and SMART Devices (CS-3Xjr) that will allow pseudo EX playback from your DSP-A1 (much like the RX-V1/DSP-AX1's EX implementation, in fact).

You will need an extra power amplifier and speaker(s) in addition to the processor.

Adam

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The A1 itself is not upgradable though you oculd use an old DPL processor connected to the pre-outs of the rear channels.
    Switch the DPL amp to stereo for 5.1 and to DPL (rears disabled) for pseudo-Ex/Es.

4. MUD

MUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THANK GUYs for your replys. I have A centre B/W speaker could I not use a cheap prologic amp. or does it have to be prosesser and amp and is it worth the bother.
    MUD.

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could use a cheap Pro Logic amp, but the surround channel performance of your system will be compromised. The surrounds will sound like they're being run by a cheap unit, as they will be.

With a higher quality unit like the DSP-A1, I would use an external processor and a decent power amp.

I don't believe there are any significant sonic advantages to an EX system unless your listening room is unusually large or you are unable to listen from the sweet spot. I have all of the hardware necessary to add pseudo-EX my DSP-A1, but having listened to other EX systems, I haven't bothered. Your mileage may vary.

Adam

6. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this hasnt a lot to do with what you are talking about but what is a good asking price for one of these amps 2nd hand?

7. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

About£500?

8. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what so i should offer 500quid to this guy as opposed to the 650 he wants?