1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-A5 Upgrade - Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by /\/\j17, Jul 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. /\/\j17

/\/\j17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    three years ago I bought a Yamaha DSP-A5 from Richer Sounds and took out their SuperCare extended guarantee.

As it comes to an end I have a choice of my money back or a guaranteed 50% trade in on a new amp.

On the grounds I recently upgraded my centre speaker from a B&W CC6 to a B&W LCR6 and haven't gotten around to flogging the old one on eBay I'm tempted in upgrading to a 6.1 amp/reciever.

So what would you suggest.

I don't want to pay too much (on top of the trade in).
    I don't want to add a channel but end up with a worse overall package.
    And I'd miss the DSP-A5's multi-remote with pages of codes for almost everything you need a remote for in the back of the manuel!

Thanks for your suggestions/opinions,

/\/\j17

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Try the Marantz SR 4300 or 5300. My last amp was the A5 and I was amazed at the improvement in stereo and surround sound, My wife even commented on the change. If you watch a lot of TV or Satellite you will love ProLogic 2, of course you are not limited to the Marantz for PLII. I think they were a good 20mm taller than the A5 but I definitely recommend you audition one of these.

If you can afford it go for the 5300 it also has a programmable remote similar to but larger than the A5's. But unfortunately it will not control a Sky Box (unless anyone knows different).