1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-A5 problem - help plz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by adzul, Apr 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. adzul

adzul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Just found your forum whilst looking for any kind of info on my HiFi problems.
    In short the amp cuts out (power off) when playing music or movies or records or tuner - you get the picture.
    Speakers are Eltax Liberty 5+ floorstanders.
    A faint whine can be heard from all the speakers to which output is sent in the 10 - 90 seconds running up to power off.
    I have checked and double checked all the connections a dozen times, I have also had the amp checked for faults (it came back with no faults found - then it worked fine for 6 months then started doing the same trick again)
    I've run out of ideas - has ne1 any suggestions/thoughts
    all ideas gratefully received
    'zul

2. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Can't be much help really, but I have a similar Receiver (Yam RXV496 RDS) so just a couple of thoughts: Check running temperature, is it getting hot? Even when run for a lengthy period, mine doesn't get more than warm. Also, there is an impedence selector on the rear of the amp, it's worth just check that the right selection has been made to match your speakers. However, TBH it sounds like something is screwed up internally, possibly intermittent. I'd send it in to a Yamaha dealer. It is still a good amp when working correctly, must be worth trying to fix it IMO.

Cheers

Croc

3. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Adzull,

Got the same amp and never had a days problem - sorry!

I would suggest you check the wiring of your plug or if plugged into a block connector that the colours match the terminals. Sounds like it may be running in reverse polarity - although most power units can cope with this mistake maybe yours is tempramental !

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers the noo! :thumbsup: