1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-A5 or DSP-AX620???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by saggu1, Jun 26, 2001.

Tags:
  1. saggu1

saggu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could some one tell me if the main difference between the two above amps is just the watts?? :rolleyes:

2. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sonny,

I will have a go, and probably get most of it wrong, but here goes!

The A5 is the outgoing model that the AX620 is replacing. The newer model offers all binding posts on the back for speaker connections, instead of some spring clips which where on the last model. Also the chip set has now been upgraded to the same 32 bit chip set that appears on Yamaha's flagship model the AX1. You may well struggle to find anyone selling the A5 as Yammy don't make it anymore.

The new model AX620 was reviewed in what hi-fi (June 2001 edition) in which it won the group test, worth reading if you are looking at this amp. I am collecting mine tomorrow from John Lewis, where they are price matching it off the web for me at £314.77 (its RRP is £399) from QED-UK.com ;) well worth it at that price. Sorry I can't offer more technical advice on the differences, but hope this helps. :)

Damien

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    binding posts for all speakers,
    newer chipset dvd audio ready
    assignable digital input channels
    on screen set-up (available if connected correctly)
    more wattage RMS available
    looks :)
    i think richers still list the A5 as being available, but i dont think that they have any in stock at the mo, id go for the newer ax620 for futureproofing :)

4. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    any of you lot think i should trade-in my A5 for the AX620? or am i better of saving my pennies till november/december for the AX1 or wot ever model its/if it is replaced with by then ?.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Why would you want to trade it in? Don't just do it because there is a new model around.
    During the past 2 years this amp has been updated from 592 to 595 to 595a to A5 and now to AX620, all with minor changes.
    If you want to upgrade then do it right and by something much better though if you are happy with the A5 then why think about it at all?
    New (Yamaha) models will be out soon, at least wait until then ...

6. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Just to let you all know that my mate found an even cheaper price for the AX620, £299.98 inc delivery from unbeatable.com, so I am off to pick mine up tonight from John Lewis (George Henry Lees in Liverpool) and get them to price match it at this price ;)

TTFN

Damien :)

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the timing couldnt be better :D
    id originally planned to buy the yammy rx520 but @ richers new price for the ax620 im gonna have to snap one ;)

how much are richers delivery charges though? and are the full UK spec?

8. saggu1

saggu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    richersounds are retailing it for £289.95!!!

bargain!! :eek:

9. saggu1

saggu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TORCH

delivery charge is £8.99, so the full wack is around £299.99!! :cool: :eek: :D

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BARGAIN>>>>>>>>>>>>

11. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am becoming more and more doubtfull about Richer Sounds, we looked at getting our amps in the shop, but they didn't have any. Then we got John Lewis to order them for us, and price match off the web. My mate also bought a Tosh DVD player from Richer Sounds to go with his new amp, first one he got last Saturday, he had to take it back by Wednesday as the mechanism was very noisy, so much so that it drowned out the quieter parts in films. Also the instruction manual wasn't in English, GREY IMPORT ALERT!!!!!!!!

So after picking up the amps we went to Richer Sounds, swaped the DVD without to much hassle, and when we pointed out the manual wasn't in English, they went and got an English version from the store room, saying that 'This batch of Tosh DVD players we got came with the wrong manuals...' very dodgy.

The huge manuals that came with the amps are in seven languages, the first of which is English. I wouldn't chance RS for the amps incase they are grey imports aswell. Just my opinion... ;)

Damien,

PS The amps are superb!!! :D

12. saggu1

saggu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    d_a_b

I rang John Lewis at Brent Cross and they said that they would not match the price as the do not stock the amp...only amps in stock were matched..

WEIRD.. :(

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well after much thought on the subject (being payday and all) ive decided to purchase the yamaha rxv520 rds amp
    couple of reasons, my room is quite small and i feel that the 620 would be wasted in it, + im getting quite a good deal on the amp ;)
    and i was never really 100% convinced about the richers offer :(
    also got an email today saying that RS was out of stock on the 620 at the mo

14. Chris N

Chris N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Yamaha DSP AX620, from:
    www.hifistore.co.uk

I was very impressed at the Web service, immediate confirmation E_Mail, then an E_Mail confirming dispatch with a Business Post consignment number.

I also ordered a Yamaha DVD S510, which was out of stock, unlike other suppliers they wouldn't take the order as it was likely to not be in stock till August.

They may be able to offer improved prices to those who contact them.

15. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a note to say that linkonline (don't know there web site, think its just comp name) have got these DVD players in stock at the moment if you are still looking for one, m8 in work has just ordered one today.

Damien ;)

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep gotta love the service from hifistore :D
    great place and highly recommend them to anyone in the market for av/hifi gear

17. saggu1

saggu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got my 620 yesterday with delivery charge waived and 25 squid off the price.....

I have set the amp up so that all LFE is directed to my subwoofer. However, I am still not getting the desired bass...tried moving it around but no BOOM BOOM..

any ideas??

[ 13-07-2001: Message edited by: Meluv DaPunani ]

18. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How did you connect the sub? High (Speaker) or Line Level?
    LFE works only for DD/DTS 5.1 - so I assume you have a DVD connected?

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Meluv, how much did you finally pay for your 620 then & where did you get it from? How did you get then to waive delivery & knock off £25? I am looking to order one of these immediately so am very interested to know!

20. saggu1

saggu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vince

To cut a VERY VERY long story short, Richersounds messed my order up, I rightly kicked up a fuss and they knocked off the delivery charge and the 25 squid off the price...

still not happy with RS service but cant complain...

Reiner:

sorted the bass out!!!..sound the awesome!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: