1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-A5 96K input / DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by PJTX100, Dec 22, 2004.

1. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Anyone out there manage to successfully output 96K from a DVD-A player into the DSP-A5? Pioneer 575 is the player, sounds great through the ext decoder inputs for both 2 channel and 5.1. Was kinda curious to hear how the Yamaha dealt with the 96K as digital. But it just displays PCM 96K for a few secs, then flips to Dolby Digital / silence. Strangely even if I configure the 575 to downsample to 48K it does exactly the same thing. Suppose the D/A conversion needs to happen sometime and the Ext Decoder sound is great, but basically the 96K digital input "aint doing what is says on the tin" ;)
    Cheers...PJ

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    It's not the fault of the player or the DSP-A5.....

The Pioneer will not output DVD-A via it's digital outputs....only the i-Link equipped Pioneers will do this,and the DVD-A is output as an encrypted data stream to a suitably equipped Pioneer receiver with i-Link as well.
    This ensures that the data stream is encrypted up to the point of decoding and playback,and is in line with the DVD-A forums views on digital rights management.

Thats the reason that downsampling will not work either.

Denon have a similar proprietary link with some of their receivers and players,but other than that,all the decoding is done inside other players.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Thanks, that probably explains it.
    Only part I'm unsure of is that I think the 575 does output 96K to the digital co-ax, it says so in the manual (but when has that been definitive? ;) ) but the fact that the DSP-A5 momentarily detects 96K seems convincing. But as you say it must be encrypted hence why it immediately gives it up as a bad job.
    ...PJ

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    It may output upsampled CD at 96kHz,as some other players do,(with varying degrees of success in providing any improvement in sound quality),but it won't be outputting DVD-A.
    What this may mean is if you select 96kHz output,then you may get a momentary detection of a signal,but the player will block output of DVD-A data.
    The Pioneer 757ai and 868AVi both have the i-Link facility,but this will not interface with your Yamaha.