Yamaha DSP-A3090 .. I'm lost! So Many Connections

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Triple-Beast, Sep 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Triple-Beast

Triple-Beast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys! I Googled my receiver name and model and ended up here! I sure hope you guys can help! Here's the story.......................................

My brother handed me down his old stuff when he upgraded, so I now own the Yamaha DSP-A3090 receiver/amp, a Sony DVP-S7000SB DVD player, and I just purchased some good but cheap Home Theatre Speakers... Infinity TSS-450 5.1 system. My TV is the ancient Toshiba CF30D50 31" .

My brother lives far away so he cannot help me get set up.. and I have no idea what I'm doing. I tried to follow the manual, but it's so confusing, and the back of this receiver has a million inputs and outputs.. not to mention the front settings and the remote are a whole ball of confusion too. My TV has an S-Video jack on the back, and my brother says to use this. I connected the S-Video cable to the TV and the Receiver, but there's 9 S-Video jacks on the receiver. I think I got the right one, but not sure. I connected the DVD Player to the receiver using a Fiber-Optics cable that my brother included. He said to do this. My TV remote has a button for Video1, Video2, and TV... but nothing that says S-Video. I put a DVD in the player, switched the front knob to DVD on the receiver, and tried to see if I get a picture at least. NONE!! Just a blue screen. Tried Video1, Video2, and TV on the television remote and get nothing. Tried the TV on channel 4, channel3, and get nothing. How the heck am I suppose to get this thing working? Does anyone know how to tell a jack-ass how to set things up in easily understood terms?

Thank you!

P.S. I didn't vote for him so please don't hold it against me!

2. tjhome

tjhome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Without knowing what the back of the amp looks like for starters the optic cable will only transmit the audio from the dvd thus the blue screen. Check on the back of the amp and find an S-video input that is labelled dvd and connect this to your dvd player with appropriate s-video lead. select dvd and you should get picture, again on normal amps you will have to go through the setup to 'associate ' the optical in port you are using with the dvd video feed to get both video and sound onto your tv.

Thats the basics really, if there is someone out there with a manual they could take you through it in more detail but this might get you started....

3. Triple-Beast

Triple-Beast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you! I'm still working on it! :(

4. Triple-Beast

Triple-Beast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. tjhome

tjhome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    try this.........

Attached Files:

• amp.jpg
      amp.jpg
      Size:
      42.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Triple-Beast

Triple-Beast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help! It works when I use regular connectors between the TV and the Receiver. (By "regular".. I mean the 3 plugs..red(audio), white(audio), yellow(video)) Problem I had was that I connected the receiver to the back of the TV using an S-Video cable because my brother said that the quality is better with S-Video.... and I couldn't get a picture. I don't have me television manual, so I didn't know what to put the setting on to watch a DVD coming in via S-Video. There is a setting on the remote(TV remote) for Video#1, Video#2, and TV . None of these gave me a picture using an S-Video connection. I tried switching channels to 3,4, and even 00. I don't know what the TV has to be on to use the S-Video Jack. Can you tell me the answer to that one?? The TV is an older one... Toshiba CF30D50. Thanks!