Yamaha DSP A2 - LipSync

P

PanikStation

I'm a newbie to this forum. I own a Yamaha DSP A2 and am looking to buy a plasma TV, but what I have heard is that my AV amp should have a audio delay facility to counteract lipsync problems common with plasma displays.
Does anyone know whether the DSP A2 has this feature or would I have to buy a new AV Amp? I couldn't find it in the references.
Would appreciate your help.
Thanks.

I'm not sure whether the A2 has this feature, but I would be suprised if it did as it's a feature that only started appearing on newer amps.
However, even if it doesn't have it I wouldn't rush out and buy a new amp as you may find that you might not even need it.
My amp has this but I don't use it as I don't have any sync problems.
My old Yamaha DSP-A3090 (it was the predecesser to the DSP-A1) didn't have it and was fine with a plasma.

I was told I should connect all my sources to my AV amp and then connect the AV amp to the plasma. The best connection I have is SVIDEO, but my VHS nor my Sky box does not have SVIDEO, how would you suggest connecting these or would you suggest buying new units?

It depends on whether you are after a better picture or ease of use.
If you want the best picture possible from your current equipment you should connect the RGB scart from your Sky box direct to your plasma. Alternatively you could connect all your visual devices to a scart switching unit & then plug the unit into your plasma. The switching unit will automatically send the picture of the last device you switched on to your plasma. This would mean that you have to select which source you want to listen to by selecting it in on your amp.
If you want an easy to use system then you should connect all your devices to your amp, & then amp to plasma using both S-video & composite. This means you have to switch channels on the plasma as well as the source on the amp when you want to go from DVD to Sky.
Alternatively you could buy a seperate convertor to convert all your non s-video sources to s-video, then connect that to your amp.
Hope this makes sense! :rolleyes:

I'm a newbie to this forum. I own a Yamaha DSP A2 and am looking to buy a plasma TV, but what I have heard is that my AV amp should have a audio delay facility to counteract lipsync problems common with plasma displays.
Does anyone know whether the DSP A2 has this feature or would I have to buy a new AV Amp? I couldn't find it in the references.
AFAIK lip-sync is only an issue with progressive scan sources and AFAIK the Yamaha A2 does not have an audio-delay feature.

I was told I should connect all my sources to my AV amp and then connect the AV amp to the plasma. The best connection I have is SVIDEO, but my VHS nor my Sky box does not have SVIDEO, how would you suggest connecting these or would you suggest buying new units?
The lowest common denominator determines what connection you have to use, but then again you could run several cables from the amp to the TV (e.g. composite and S-Video), using different inputs where necessary.
On the other hand a direct connection from source to TV, possibly using RGB, might give you an even better picture.

Alternatively you could purchase a new amp that has video-conversion and audio delay features.

Reiner said:
AFAIK lip-sync is only an issue with progressive scan sources and AFAIK the Yamaha A2 does not have an audio-delay feature.

I use progressive scan on my plasma & it seems fine most of the time. I thought once or twice that there might have been a sync problem but it could have just been my imagination.

Reiner said:
Alternatively you could purchase a new amp that has video-conversion and audio delay features.

Don't bother with a Pioneer AX5-AI for video up conversion... It's pant's (Although the amp is very very good at everything else).

i have also been told about delays with progressive scan BUT i am running a denon 3802 which dosnt support audio delay and i connect my dvd via component to a briteview scaler then to the projector through 8 meters or so of cable and get no lip sync problems at all so it might be a case of try before you buy :smashin:

PanikStation said:
Would appreciate your help.
Thanks.
You can set a transmission delay on each channel of the A2, for each source (It's in the speaker set menu). You can also program reverb and other parameters (read the manual - I know it';s huge, but there's tons of stuff that you never knew the box would do!!)

That said, you should not need to do this unless you have a low cost (or old) progressive scan source. The delay is generally caused by low cost procesors. The high end stuff is super fast as has no appreciable lag compared to sound resolution.

The S-Video switching is fine for most broadcast sources, but I use a component cable from the DVD to my plasma. All the rest, (sky, terrestial, VCR, Playstation) works fine with S-video. However, it's worth using good cables - a set of decent s-Video cables (around £45 each) makes a hoooge difference to picture quality. The same is tru for component cables - the difference between the £30 IXOS offerings and the £120 Chord cable is staggering. Worth trying a few and seeing the difference. (most hifi shops will lend a high end cable if they are goign to get a sale at the end of it!!).

Archey.

No lipsync problem.
It was important the change of central speaker from above old Tv set, to down, at front of the plasma.

GLA1.jpg

the iScan offers fairly advanced audio synching and would also add significantly to PQ.... it will also handle all your audio and video switching and give a single optical / digital output to your amp.

just a thought....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom