1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP A2 - DTS LFE Level

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Family Guy, Mar 9, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't visit this part of the Forums much so please forgive me if this subject has been covered before.

I was setting the levels on my A2 last night using the ULTIMATE PLATINUM DVD. This paticular disc enables you to set levels for all sound formats (DD, DTS, PCM etc) and then compare them against each other.

I set the initial levels to 75db on the Dolby Digital setting, including the LFE channel. I then switched the sound format to DTS and checked again. The main, Centre and rears were spot on but the LFE was some 7db lower.

I've read some reviews on so called budget amps recently and read that these have the some trouble, some up to -10 db.

Luckily for me an all A2 owners, there is a facility to increase/decrease the LFE channel in DD and DTS. My DTS level is now set to +7db and sounds pretty spot on.

My main concern is - what do you do if your amp does not have the facility to increase/decrease the individual sound format LFE's?
    I had a Denon up until recently and am pretty sure this amp didn't have this facility.

Anybody else??

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    My current Denon A1SE and my old 3801 both had their LFE set at 0db adjustable downwards not upwards. Its only accessible when your actually feeding the amp a digital signal (5.1 etc) unlike the Yamahas which you can access via the front panel buttons without a signal being fed to it.

I think the Denons already compensate for the differences between DTS & Dolby Digital. You have to reduce the DTS bass level for DTS CD´s though as far as I can remember.

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,195
    Brian,

I checked before and DTS lfe can be adjusted seperately from DD on the 3801.

As for the A2 glad to see you are getting there.