1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-A1 : My display has gone out.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Skip67, Feb 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have a Yamaha DSP A1 that I bought second hand a couple years ago, and the display has suddenly disappeared...

To be honest, the 'D' in Dolby when it displays Dobly Digital, has always been a bit hit and miss, but recently the whole display kept failing intermitently and now has gone for good.

Does anybody know if this is a cheap/easy problem to fix, or is it something that only a Yamaha engineer is able to do ?

Sods law that I'm looking to move it on an upgrade soon as well....

2. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with my Yamaha RX-330 Stereo receiver. The entire display went out for no reason. Unit still worked but I couldn't see anything. I smacked the left side of the unit and it came back on. Not sure if it was faulty wiring or what, but that blue-collar remedy worked. It's happened 2-3 times, and each time a little whack did it. It's been fine for years now. Old unit, but still works great and sounds great for the gameroom.

3. ninc0

ninc0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own an A1 with the same fault. It is a fault with some of them. It is most likley a dry joint problem. I repaired mine by removing the amp top cover and re-soldering the suspect pins on the back of the display. Mind you its not a job for the faint hearted or someone who has never used a soildering iron before.

Try pushing the display on the amp before you open it up. See if any part light up then. This happened on mine. If you do open it up give us a shout and I will go through what I did on mine. :smashin:

4. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks Ninc. I'll have a look at it tonight when I get home. :smashin:

TPC: Cheers for your technical insight into my problem man..... hahaha

Ingenius.... (Erm, I have to admit I'd already tried that. )

5. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi can I have the information as well please, mines started to loose a few lights as well.

Dave.

6. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19

I tried pushing the display bit still nothing. To be honest, I wouldn't trust myself with a soldering iron so I'll probably get someone to do it. Sounds like it may be a common problem with these amps then ?

Thanks for your help mate. Hopefully it shouldn't cost too much to get it sorted. It's such a pain not being able to see the display though.

7. ninc0

ninc0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand it could seem a little daunting. For anyone who would want to do it themselves here is what I did.

Firstly I removed the screws fixing the main cover to the chassis. Then remove the cover. Then pull off the Main volume and Inout selector knobs.

Tilt the whole amp forward about 45 degrees and you can see through to the rear of the display. There will be 2 rows of pins, one above the other. On mine I could see the bad joints where the pins come through the circuit board, also whilst looking at the bas of the pins gently push on the front of the lcd display from the front of the amp with your fingers and move them up and down the display and press in different areas. I could see the dry joints rising up from the circuit board and identified which ones were dry.

Then it was a case of using a fine/small soildering iron. (due to restricted movement and room) to heat up the bad soilder, remove it using a little solder removal pump and re soilder the joint with a little fresh soilder.

I say a little because if you use too much you are in danger of connecting 2 pins together. Anyway if you do just remove soilder and try again.

It takes time but if you do it slowly and methodicaly it pays off.

If the whole panel has gone out then you need to identify which pins give power to the display and soilder these.

In my case just a few of the lights had gone out and so I soildered the pins accordingly. You can also narrow down which pins are in need of fixing by looking at the rear of the lights which are missing in the front display. The pins will be more or less directly behind that exact part of the display.

Hope this helps. It certainley fixed mine which was out of warranty. :smashin:

8. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Thanks mate will give it a go.

dave.

9. Aric

Aric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First it was a couple letters, if I tapped on the display they would come back. Now it's the whole display, sometimes if I tap it it comes back but usually not.

I've even noticed the single light on the volume nob is now flickering when the nob is turned. Grrr.

I guess I'll have a go at it. Thanks for the tips. BTW, taking the amp apart isn't nearly as time consuming as disconnecting all my components and removing it from my entertainment center! And that thing is heavy!

10. Jesoire

Jesoire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    noticed there's a clip on utube about how to fix this problem......

11. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
  12. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    since we are talking old school yamahas I have the ax1 and have the dreaded speaker drop out. I don't want to spend £400 on a new board that fixes the issue and what I have to do is periodically go behind the amp and put an rca in the pre out socket and you can hear the noise that brings the speaker back to life, I can't keep doing that every day though, any other suggestions?

13. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Have you tried spraying switch cleaner in there ?

Dave.

14. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    no, haven't.....yet :)

Would this be directly onto the phono connections or top off and inside the machine?

15. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I would do both you won't do the amp any harm as it evaporates after a minute.
    Unplug it though.
    I had the same type of problem with my Ps3 HDMI handshaking with the picture going on and off.
    So I bought some switch cleaner from maplins and gave it a good spray in the HDMI socket and cable end and it is working perfect now.
    let you know how you get on.

Dave.

16. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks Dave,

I will give the spray a chance to see if that helps. Do you (or anyone else know the PCB replacement board that was made.

I can see 2 possibilities on the;

Dspax1 Pcb Digital Processor Y
    Dspax1 Pcb Main 5 Pieces Yamaha

The cost is stupid and out of the question but would like to know which one is the right one