Yamaha DSP-A1 - can't RTFM!

H

HT Dude

I have the above amp on loan but don't have a manual.
How on earth can you get it to do a full dolby digital test tone ?
I.e. pink noise from all 5 speakers AND the sub in rotation?
I can't find a way to do it and it's otherwise impossible to balance the relative volume levels!
Thanks

Open the flap and use the Play/Stop button to toggel through the menus, with fast forward (+) and fast reverse (-) you can enter the menu and use Stop/Play to switch between the different options, +/- will then modify the settings.
The sub test tone is seperated in menu (where is the remote ... ah, here) "2. Low Freq. Test" where you can switch it on/off, define where the test signal will be output to (any speaker) and change the test frequency.

The "TEST" button will generate noise to rotate through the normal speakers but not the sub.

------------------
Rgds,
Reiner

Advice required please. I have a TEAC reference system and am going to add an AV amp. Speakers are Keq Q55.2, 95.2 and 15's. Amps I am thinking of are as follows: Yam DSP-A1 (£1000), Pioneer E07 (£650), Sony strb-940 (£370). I like listening to music, and when I get a DVD player (perhaps Pioneer 717) I'll be having a go at DD/DTS. My question is will I notice much of a difference over the Sony with the more expensive Yamaha/Pioneer i.e. are they worth it?

------------------

Thanks for the help. I'd figured all that out by trial and error.
So you can't have a simple rotating test tone through all 6 channels?
Well that's a load of crap.
In that case I prefer the Sherwood 925.

Can't speak for the Pioneer but surely the Yamaha DSP-A1 is well worth the money and should be available for much less then GBP1000, at least I would not pay that price now.
Okay, so it's "old" now (replaced with the DSP-AX1) but to me it sounds damnd good in AV and stereo is ok to me, too, but perhaps I am not that demanding on the stereo-side of things, rather a casual listener than an audiophile.
wink.gif

The A1 has most features you will ever need, certainly enough in- and outputs and lot's of power, even though it's not THX certified I strongly believe it delivers as promised in the specs.
I leave it up to you to count the DSP modes as a plus or minus, a matter of personal taste.
However, you may want to compare the A1 to some newer AV amps/receivers like Denon AVR-3300, AVR-3801 and AVC-10SE and surely they are some of other brands which might offer an alternative.

But in the end you must decide if it sounds good and if it's worth the money to you, some of the budget amps do offer a good to excellent performance, too.
Don't forget to audition with movies AND music, usually AV amps are better in the AV department (since they are built for that in the first place).

Duncan - having compared the units, obviously the Yamaha sounds miles better than the Sherwood.
But balancing the channels was miles easier on the Sherwood.
Seems to me the Yamaha menu system was cobbled together by an autistic child.

LOL! You would prefer the Sherwood over the DSP-A1 just because of the difference in the 5.1 test?!

Are you mad? They are in totally different classes...........sound quality is all that matters and the DSP-A1 is up their with the very best, leaving the Sherwood to spar with your mid to low range amps.

wink.gif

I'm not sure what the problem is with setting the levels on the DSP-A1 ... I sit with an SPL meter at my watching position and set the test tone going. As it cycles through the speakers then I can tweak each one up and down so that it matches the level of the preceeding one, once I have finished tweaking it moves on to the next speaker.

What's the problem with that?

Phil

It's a problem (for HC Dude) that the sub is not included in the cycle and I think he is trying to balance the sound with his ears.
Spending sooooo much money on his home cinema room but too stingy to pay a few quid for a SPL meter ... tst, tst, tst ...
wink.gif

------------------
Rgds,
Reiner

No - I have an SPL meter - but if the sub is not included in the cycle, it's pretty bloody hard to adjust it's volume so it matches the rest of your speakers. Specially when it's a 300 watt Studio II which makes your chairs vibrate on volume level of one third of one unit !

You should be calibrating from the source anyhow.....Plunk in T2UE,Toy Story2, or a calbration disc. They will cycle through all channels and all you have to do is modify the channel levels on the Yamaha. It will also be a more accurate calibration since you will likely be using the DVD player for the evaluation.

HC Dude,
I was going to e-mail you the pages in the manual that refer to LFE test. But....you've no e-mail address listed in your profile?!
You can free cycle around the speakers for normal setup, but for LFE, you manually move the tone around. So, the tone starts with the main left front & LFE, when you're happy with the adjustment of that, you just move on to the next speaker. Personally, I think that's far better than having to listen-adjust, before the darn tone has move on.

------------------
www.baldyplex.com

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom