Yamaha DSP A1 audio 'popping' problems

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have owned my champagne/rosewood sidecheeks Yamaha DSP A1 since new and I love it loads.

I've had the display replaced (dead pixels) and I've even had 'proper' speaker outputs fitted to it by an authorised Yamaha service centre.

But last night, while watching The Darjeeling Limited, it made a couple of odd loud 'metallic sucky-pop' noises. No idea how to describe it, other than that aside from the noise being quite loud.

It's not mains related, it's not a clipping issue and it's not associated with the new speaker terminals. I know this because I remembere it happening at our old house. Which rules out the mains. It's not clipping because I'm using different speakers. It's not the new speaker terminals because it happened before I got the new ones fitted.

It 'seems' to only happen whenever I'm playing a multi channel audio source. Stereo signals haven't (so far) done it.

I snooped around the web for a bit but couldn't find any documented problems. But I did discover a code to get into the diagnostic menu:

"to get to the diagnostic menu on the machine press power button set menu + button and next key all at the same time which will take you to the diagnostic menu"

Which totally confuses me as I don't seem to be able to access this via the supplied hack.

Has anyone had any experience of this problem with the A1? Or has anyone managed to access the diagnostic menu?

Help!

Best thing to do is give Yamaha a call on 01923 233166 and ask for Terry Murphy.....very helpful and knowledgable guy who might be able point you in the right direction even if he doesn't know himself (and that's a big if!).

Best thing to do is give Yamaha a call on 01923 233166 and ask for Terry Murphy.....very helpful and knowledgable guy who might be able point you in the right direction even if he doesn't know himself (and that's a big if!).

Thanks Helicon :smashin:

I just spoke to Terry and he suggested a couple of options... and also told me not to mess with the diagnostics :D

Off to try some tweaks and see what happens. Will keep all posted.

Hi guys,

I own a DSP A1.It has been 10yrs.Recently while watching a movie ,my amp shut down.Burning smell was in the air. I sent for repair and the guy said that the PCB was faulty (corrosion, leakage).He said that there is no more parts of Function PCB:(.He replaced the relay and did general service.:(:(:( I love my Amp.Its working now but will the sound be affected?
He told me to get the 3800. My question is this
1) Does the 3800 has a presence channel?

Pls help Tks:lease::lease:

If it's working then no the sound should not be affected at all.

The 3800 does have presence channels but it does not discrete amplifiers to drive the speakers on top of the 7 main channels. What I mean is, if you want presence channels too, you miss out on surround back channels.

It depends on what your budget is and whether or not you need all the latest sound formats. If you need the latest sound formats for HD then the 3800 (or wait a little longer and get the 3900) will be fine.

If you don't need the latest features but prefer battleship build and better internal power amps then have a look on a well known auction site for either a DSP-AX1 (one just went for ÂŁ265:eek:) or a DSP-AZ1.

It might be worth holding out for the new Z7 - it looks rather promising.....

Thanks. That means i have to connect it into the presence channel? I love the sound .

steve

Well, a few years on now and another problem.

Whenever I use the remote to control the volume the little light on the dial fluctuates. It then settles down when the dial stops moving. Has anyone ever had this happen? I'm hoping it isn't too much of an issue but I do worry that it isn't a good sign.

I have 3 A1s and all have the same problem - random, very intermittent popping coming out of the speakers. Everything else works fine, but when a loud pop suddenly and unexpectedly happens, it's a bit unnerving. All the A1s started having this problem at about their same age and on completely different systems. There are no pops when I switch over to a different AV receiver or amp. I am hoping some Yamaha tech reads this and can explain what the problem is and whether is can be fixed without costing a fortune.

BTW, I use all as home theater amps (two 5.1, one 3.0) and using DSP (DD, mainly). Haven't tried doing strictly stereo and see what happens, because these are not 2 channel systems.

I have 3 A1s and all have the same problem - random, very intermittent popping coming out of the speakers. Everything else works fine, but when a loud pop suddenly and unexpectedly happens, it's a bit unnerving. All the A1s started having this problem at about their same age and on completely different systems. There are no pops when I switch over to a different AV receiver or amp. I am hoping some Yamaha tech reads this and can explain what the problem is and whether is can be fixed without costing a fortune.

BTW, I use all as home theater amps (two 5.1, one 3.0) and using DSP (DD, mainly). Haven't tried doing strictly stereo and see what happens, because these are not 2 channel systems.

Had something similar with another item, decoder/DAC chip went faulty.

Considering its age, that it is very out of date best to buy a new avr. It's 20 years old.

Using them as amps is perfectly acceptable. They are good amps.

I currently have my Oppo connected via the external decoder stages and it does all the processing, the A1 only provides the amplification.

I know it'll need replacing soon. The lack of HDMI connections is a major pain at times :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom