1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-A1 as power amp?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by CounterWhine, Jul 6, 2002.

1. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi All,

This is a sister thread to the Bryston/TAG thread (debating the merits of various power amps).

Before I upgrade my power amp, I need to upgrade my processor. I'm planning to get either the TAG AV32R or AV30R and use my A1 as the power amp.

Has anybody tried this? Was it effective? Does anyone recommend I upgrade the power amp before the processor?

TIA,

D.

2. Andy F

Andy F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd DEFINITELY get a power amp first. The A1 isn't a bad processor all told, but the power amps (while being great for home cinema) aren't the most musical in the world.

IIWY, get your power amp, whack that on the yamaha, and you may even surprise yourself, and decide you don't need that AV32R after all. Unlikely, I know - but try it & see.

Andy

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Haven't tried it but it can work, just connect the processor to the 5.1 input.

4. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I'd planned to connect the processor straight to the power ins and bypass the Yamaha's processor/preamp entirely.

After Andy's comments though I now not so sure whether I'm going about this the right way.

Ho hum!

D.