1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP 757se & Mordaunt Short - set up advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by IanRathmore, Oct 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. IanRathmore

IanRathmore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being completely new to this, I would be grateful for any advice
    on setting up this system.

Components purchased are

Yamaha DSP 757SE
    MS 302 front and rear
    MS 304 centre
    Rel Quake Subwoofer

I've recently heard that the amp needs to set in a certain mode so it
    doesn't damage the MS speakers - Is this true ? an anyone clarify
    what the set up should to to get the most out of the amp ?

2. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian,

Wicked amp, by the way - I recently upgraded from the 640 to the 757.

I'm not sure exactly which settings you're worried about - at most this could be to do with ensuring that you've got the impedances matched. It's default is 8 Ohms - which is what most speakers are. However, of course if they are lower than this - then there is a set way to alter the setting on the amp - the manual is clear on this, and it's easy to follow and do.

Another just-in-case - if you're feeding anything into the amp via its digital coaxial input (of which there is only one anyway) - often it's a DVD that people run through this - as far as the amp's concerned, this is a 'CD' input - and to get your DVD sound - you'll have to choose 'CD' on the remote control. Nothing wrong with this - it's just a labelling thing.

If you want your amp's 'DVD' input button to lead to DVD sound - then you'll need to connect your DVD to the amp optically - one of the TOSLINK inputs is marked for DVD.

Have fun!! It loves being cranked up!

(P.s. I decided that the auto set-up was much more aggro than it was worth - and did the whole thing manually - very easy on the 757. Plus also note that it's got a proper, separate LFE-level adjust - this is separate to the subwoofer adjustment under speaker levels!! And also crossover adjust! Lovely.)

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    You should be able to change the connection i.e. although the coax digital is labled cd on tha back, you should be able to change it to DVD via the menu.

4. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Mordaunt-Shorts are rated as 4-8 Ohms so it should not matter if you select 4 or 8 Ohms on the amp. Possibly the best option would be to leave the default 8 Ohm setting.