1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-750SE, 6/7.1 fault?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by clarky78, Aug 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Finally got around to setting this amp up in a 7.1 configuration, and am slightly un-impressed by the little difference, if any 7.1 makes over 5.1. I thought it would be better to spin a real DTS ES disc so watched blade II today, but... I selected 6.1 DTS ES in the sound options on the DVD menu, and there was no sound at all in the film, tried every setting on the amp to no avail, so had to use 5.1 setting. This still provides 'some' sound from the rears, but nothing noticable, and certainly not worth justifying the cost of the speakers!!
    My question is, why did the 6.1 ES settings not work, am i missing something? Is there a setting to adjust or something?

2. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

You really need to get some more dvd's with 6.1/7.1 sound tracks on them, to try them out. The last of the lord of the Rings films sounds good in EX.

I have a 7.1 system too, and I feel the same as you, IE it's not worth it yet, having the extra 2 channels of rear sound, as so few dvd's come with the extra channels anyway.

3. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you set the right sound option in the sound menu of the dvd? If so your receiver should just pick up that 6.1 ES is being played, did this not happen?

4. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yes, as i said, selected the 6.1 ES option and no sound, had to select 5.1 option to get sound, don't understand it?

5. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    OK, so we watched LOTR ROTK last night, the extended edition, same problem. No sound when i select DTS 6.1! I'm getting annoyed now, as i feel either the extra speakers were a waste of money or i'm missing something.

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    are both of these discs dts-es discrete? does the yamaha support discrete dts-es? i love the difference 6.1 makes, i didnt hear any difference with 7.1 over 6.1 but some do.

7. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I have just tried Blade II with the DTS 6.1 sound track and it is fine with my Yam 750. I have the amp set to DTS and the display reads Surround Enhanced and all 7 speakers are shown under the volume display when the film starts to play. The sound is really great, although 6.1 to 7.1 is very little difference. I only upgrade so I had the full system now.

When you select a 6.1 sound track does all seven speakers appear as active on the display on the amp. It may be that during set-up the rears were not set.

8. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    One point just sprung to mind, which DVD player are you using. I have the pioneer 575 which support DTS sound tracks. It may be your DVD player is the problem.

9. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Right, just looked, when selecting 5.1 DTS, i get the 7 speakers showing on the amp, but when i select the 6.1 DTS ES, i get nothing, even if i select the input type to DTS on the amp, it doesn't see a signal. It's annoying the hell out of me, and it lights up all 6 channels in 5.1 anyway, i just asume it does that now to everything because it knows it's got all speakers hooked up, so therefore, it's giving a matrix 6/7th channel from 5.1 sources. But this isn't what i wan't/paid for. I want discrete 6.1 from a proper 6.1 source. Maybe my amps F****D....!

10. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Just looked on the amp display, on the left it says :dd: DIGITAL and :dd: EX just below when i have it in 5.1 mode and the input set to auto, if i select DTS or analog i get no sound. I can see on the lcd just above the DIGITAL sign, a 'discrete' which i assume should light for true ES 6.1 films like this. I have never seen this lit, also the DTS symbol never lights unless i select it manually with the input type, but then, no sound :(

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME....!!!!

11. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I only have the 650 but I think it is pretty much the same as the 750 with regards to this.

Do you have any of the Yamaha DSP modes enabled when you are on the DVD input? I am not sure if these would overide the ES/EX signals if they are enabled.

My DVD input is set to Surround Standard when it is not picking up a 5.1 input via the optical input..

*Edit* just checked and having any of the DSP modes other than 2 channel stereo has no effect on the 6.1 discrete signal being picked up.

Do you have the input mode on the amp set to DVD Auto ?

Do you have the ES/EX set to Auto on the amp (this is via the ES/EX button on the remote on the 650...it cycles through Auto - ES/EX Matrix - Off when I do this whilst playing Blade 2 in DTSES Discrete)

Sorry if I missed this, but some DVD players require you to enable DTS output in their set up menu. Have you checked this?

12. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    SORTED IT!!!

After reading the manual and finding out the i was doing everything right! i proceeded to check the dvd player settinngs. The audio out was set to Dolby digital/PCM, which i thought was right, i know PCM is wrong, so thought i'd try Stream/PCM.... Straight away the amp started flicking into DTS mode and discrete :) Back to the film... The DTS symbol is on, the discrete logo is on and i'm a happy bunny :)

what the fudge the difference between digital/PCM and Stream/PCM is i dont know, but hell, it works.... :) :)

Thanks for the help guys.

13. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    dolby digital/pcm means it will send normal DD 5.1 (and ex) as a bit stream, but will convert dts to PCM, in case you have a DD amp which doesnt support dts, not much use in UK as most dts tracks are secondary.