1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP 620

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by monkeyleader, Jan 13, 2002.

Tags:
  1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hey all,

I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice on selecting an amp. I have been reading many reviews and trawling the newsgroups over the past couple of months. I have around 400 pounds in my budget. I have sky+, cable, dvd player, video, cd player, as well as a ps2. In the coming months I will be investing in an xbox and gamecube. With all of these inputs needed I was wondering if someone could give me a few ideas. Also to keep the partner happy I am trying as much as possible to keep things as clean and tidy as possible. This will mean Id like to plug as much of the hardware into the amp and then run as few cables as possible back to the TV (no more than 6Ft away) Is this possible ?

I was thinking of the Yamaha DSP 620 (without radio tuner)

kind regards,

Nige

PS: Oh and I also have a laptop with s-video output so Id also like to connect this machine to the amp as I have 1000s of mps and Id like to use this as a kind of juke-box.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Most people prefer to run their video leads direct from source to TV without routing them through the amp but you will have problems trying to connect all that lot permanently without using an additional switching centre.

The best picure is obtained from an RGB output but most TVs will only have one RGB enabled scart socket and most amps cannot cope with RGB switching.

Most agree that the picture obtained from s-video is only marginally inferior and as many amps have s-video switching it will make like easier. Certainly my Sony has three s-video inputs.

The Sky + and DVD player should both output s-video but I am afraid that I am no expert on games machines and don't know how they output video.

Do you really want three games machines permanently connected as if not the easiest route would be to permanently connect the Sky + and DVD player to the RGB scart on the TV by daisychaining them together if possible and to connect whatever games machine you are using to the front a/v outputs on the TV and amp.

3. jamespvg

jamespvg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed, s-video switching is the way to go with this set up. Here's what to do.

DVD -> Amp (S-Video-S-Video, Coaxial interconnect - don't buy either of these cheap)

Sky+ -> Amp (S-Video-S-Video, 2 Phono-2 Phono)

Cable -> Amp (SV-SV, 2P-2P)

Video -> Cable/Sky+ (Scart-Scart)
    Video -> TV (Scart-Scart)

CD Player -> Amp (2P-2P)

PS2 -> TV (RGB Scart)
    PS2 -> Amp (Optical Sound)

Xbox -> Amp (s-video, Optical Sound)

Gamecube -> Amp (s-video, 2phono)

Finally (don't skimp on this one): Amp -> TV: S-Video -> Scart

As for the laptop, the s-video lead only carries video (clever name then :)). You need a 3.5mm -> 2 Phono lead from the laptops headphone or line out jack, into a spare 2phono slot.

You have a lot of stuff - I hope you understood all that!

Finally, with £400, I'd buy a Denon1802 or a Marantz 6200.

James

4. jamespvg

jamespvg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wo! Hold the boat...

Just read on the newsgroup that you have an RPTV - does this have component (3phono) input for video? If so, take component leads from the gamecube and xbox into the amp, and a component video lead from the amp to the tv, otherwise, as above.

Also, neither of the amps I recommended have component switching.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you use analogue connections for Sky + you will not get 5.1 sound which is now available on Sky Movies.

Use optical lead instead.

6. jamespvg

jamespvg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops - my bad, forgot that one. Thanks Ian.

7. GarethRamsay

GarethRamsay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just bought the RSX-V620RDS - same as yours but with a tuner. Sound is absolutely superb.

If you're interested, I got mine for £299 - a real bargain. The model without the tuner was only £10 less. At £289 I really don't think you can go wrong.

I bought it from Krish Audio Visual in Chiswick, London.
    http://www.krishav.co.uk

Gareth

8. Timm

Timm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just a query. Is the 620 with a receiver the same sonically etc as an amp alone?

9. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Yamaha RSV620RDS receiver is exactly the same as the Yamaha DSPAX620 amplifier, except that it also has the tuner as all receivers do of course. I've heard both side by side. Totally identical.

I bought the AX620, because it was cheaper and I haven't listened to any of the tripe on the radio for years.

10. Barney_Tabasco

Barney_Tabasco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm intruiged to know if anyone has the AX620 amp with the KEF 'Egg' speakers and what the verdict is?

My local supplier has the KEFs but not the Yamaha amp so i can't test the kit.

Cheers :)