1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP 492

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Sharpy14, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have brought this out of retirement and despite putting labels on stuff when I put it away, need advice on what goes where.

I have a plasma with Sky running scart to scart socket on the telly

I have a DVD running HDMI direct from player to the plasma

And this then leaves me with the Yamaha, a Marantz stereo amp, and 5 speakers.

No doubt a silly question but how do I get the sound from the DVD, and the Sky box, to the Yamaha (I have a cable with a multitude of connectors on the end)

2. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I know my reply to the posting is way late, but I felt like it and still might be of some help.

You can go to http://www.yamaha-service.de/ and find the pdf of the manual from there.

If you have a DVD with build in Dolby digital and DTS decoder you can hook this up to the 5.1 input of the Yamaha. Send the main out signal to the Marantz to handle the fronts. Hook up rear and centre speaker to the Yamaha and your ready to go. You now have a nice low budget Dolby Digital surround sound. You can alternatively also hook up two centre speakers and a sub.

You need a lot of rca tulip cables 5 for input from DVD to Yamaha and 2 too the Marantz (Aux or main in).

If your DVD has no decoder build in, you might want to look at getting one second-hand a Sony DVD, type DVP-NS400D, Sony DVD DVP-S525D/ DVP-S535D loads of other models around.

A stand alone Dolby digital, DTS processor/decoder would let you keep an DVD with no Decoder, but is likely to be more expensive that getting a DVD with build in decoder.

Don’t know about the sky box (digital satalite tv??, you can hook it up to the other inputs of the Yamaha and have the use of the pro logic surround modes for that. If it’s a digital signal then it will have to go trough a decoder first. Don’t know if DVD’s with decoders also have inputs to decode external signals.

A more expensive stand alone decoder will have more inputs.

Anyway the Key to using this Yamaha and your existing stereo and speakers is an External decoder… if you don’t have that all your left with is a set-up with the in the Yamaha included pro logic surround modes and that’s just not want one want these days.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-preamplifier/Yamaha/PRD_126977_2719crx.aspx.
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/DVDPlayers/Sony/SonyDVP-S525D.php

more Comments insights anybody?

Hope to have been of help,

John
    (New to this forum)