1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DLP = Just had a demo, my thoughts....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    My good Friends at Global HI-FI in Newcastle have just taken delivery of the new Yamaha DLP Projector(can't recall the model number), and i was lucky enough to get a 15 min demo with it today.

Firstly the demo room used was completely blacked out, so no ambiant light at all during the demo, it was projecting onto a 6ft 4:3 ratio screen, and fed by a Denon 2800 DVD player.
    The movie of choice was Disneys Dinosaur (R2).

I will also add that i am very suceptable(spelling) to the rainbow effects caused by DLP, i cant watch the Sim2 HT200 or 250 without feeling sick,(BUT dont see rainbow on the 200dm).

My first impression was very good, contrast was very detailed and colours were very good, no bleed was seen and very little rainbow! After 5 mins though i started seeing more and more rainbow and when fast moving action was present it was near unwatchable! Dam! The contrast was ok but blacks were not good, infact the Sony 10ht handles them better! Dam! But this little PJ (about the same size as the sony 10ht, a dam sight smaller than my Barco crt) is very good to look at, a lot of thought has gone into it's design.

I didnt get a chance to go into great detail regarding connection or other tech issues(i was getting a sneek look and certainly not a paying customer) but overall was very let down in the end with the performance.

Dlp promises so much for the future, and could possiblily take over from CRT, but certainly not anytime soon, The best i have seen so far as dlp technology goes is the HT200DM with it's lack of rainbow, this Yamaha just doesn't compete, and at £6,500+ is just to expensive.

So go see it for yourself if you can, it's worth seeing in action but if you suffer Rainbow then it is a no no for serious consideration.

Overall 5.5 out of 10.

BTW this review is just my opinion based on 15 mins with the machine. :rolleyes:

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Phil,

The Yamaha is a Plus U2 clone and uses a single speed wheel so it make sense that you see the rainbows. This projector would be expensive at £3000, let alone £6500. Yamaha should have released it about 6 months ago. As it is they have only just releasd it and its already obsolete.

Jeff