Yamaha CX-A5100 Processor and MX-A5000 11-Channel Amp Review & Comments

I state in the review that as a combo there is nothing that gets close to the features (including all 11 channels of amplification) and performance for the same or similar price point/outlay.

Hi Phil, nice review - thanks!

Do you have an ETA for the MK Sound MP300 review please? I see they were part of the Yammy testing.

A little while ago I could have sworn I found both as a bundle for £2500 and if I knew then what I know now, I would have jumped on it immediately!
I think the bundle deal advertised was for the CX-A5000 and MX-A5000. The old processor in other words.

Maybe i am getting fussy,but 54000 uf for 11 channels doesnt sound too promising,but it is much cheaper than buying 11 proper monoblocks.According to the review,no headroom issues and nobody would drive B&W 800 speakers with this combo.Still i am surprised that Yamaha are still resisting Class D.

That YPAO room correction system doesn't inspire confidence at all. Why oh why does every amp/receiver always have to have something wrong with them. If only we could combine the best features of a few devices and create our own perfect model!

Basically if I could have bastard child of the CX-A5100/MX-A5000, the Arcam AVR850 and other misc. I would be a very happy man.

Would have:
  • Pre-pro/amp separation as CX-A5100/MX-A5000
  • 3 x HDMI outs (for TV/PJ and seperate room out)
  • All the balanced XLR in/outs as CX-A5100 (with dual sub out and extra stereo in)
  • 11 channel amp as MX-A5000 but with Arcams Class G amps for all channels and more power/headroom :)
  • Channel level meters LED display on amp as ADA amps.
  • Arcams Dirac Live room processing on all channels
  • Interface / menus from neither! (anyone have a suggestion here?)
  • Front panel display design from neither! (anyone have a suggestion here? My own Onkyo is not bad just bigger panel maybe)

Basically if I could have bastard child of the CX-A5100/MX-A5000, the Arcam AVR850 and other misc. I would be a very happy man.

Would have:
  1. Pre-pro/amp separation as CX-A5100/MX-A5000
  2. 3 x HDMI outs (for TV/PJ and seperate room out)
  3. All the balanced XLR in/outs as CX-A5100 (with dual sub out and extra stereo in)
  4. 11 channel amp as MX-A5000 but with Arcams Class G amps for all channels and more power/headroom :)
  5. Channel level meters LED display on amp as ADA amps.
  6. Arcams Dirac Live room processing on all channels
  7. Interface / menus from neither! (anyone have a suggestion here?)
  8. Front panel display design from neither! (anyone have a suggestion here? My own Onkyo is not bad just bigger panel maybe)
AudioControl Maestro M9 and their power amps gets close... Its a version of the AVR850/550 but no inbuilt processing.

1,2 and 6 match fully. 3 - balanced out for main 7 plus sub and 2 pairs of balanced inputs. 4 - a 7 and a 5 channel amplifier are available and suit (5) too.

Can't help with 7 & 8 as the interface is identical to Arcam.

Oh the problem - they cost a LOT more!

Hi can some one help me I'm trying to figure out what the wattage is at 4 ohms with all 11 channels driven

Hi can some one help me I'm trying to figure out what the wattage is at 4 ohms with all 11 channels driven
Who knows ... Yamaha don't give any figures for all channels driven and none of the tests I've found properly measured the power amplifier.

I may be cynical but that suggests to me the performance is lacking! Given its power consumption is only 650w...

Phil,

Regarding the "lack of warmth" did you try the 3 different DAC modes? The default is short latency but e.g. slow roll-off will produce a warmer sound.

I'm really hoping the DTS:X f/w arrives in the next few days, it keeps getting delayed. :(

While YPAO RSC did a good job with the higher frequencies, it had no impact on the subs. I get around this by using a Velodyne SMS-1 for sub eq.
Just a general observation rather than any direct experience... but with some other room correction systems (I think it was DIRAC) it was recommended that if you have something like a Velodyne SMS-1, that you use that to correct the subs FIRST, then run the AVR/Processor's room correction SECOND.

Hi Sounddog,
When I copied the YPAO setting into manual mode so I could review them, there was only one correction for the subs at 250hz! I have a "house curve" programmed into the SMS-1 so I would prefer the Yamaha to not mess with that...

Regards,
Stephen

AudioControl Maestro M9 and their power amps gets close... Its a version of the AVR850/550 but no inbuilt processing.

1,2 and 6 match fully. 3 - balanced out for main 7 plus sub and 2 pairs of balanced inputs. 4 - a 7 and a 5 channel amplifier are available and suit (5) too.

Can't help with 7 & 8 as the interface is identical to Arcam.

Oh the problem - they cost a LOT more!

Yeah the specs like very good. So what extortionate price are they looking for those pre-amps and amps then for a laugh?

Also what do you mean by "a version of the AVR850/550 but no inbuilt processing" - what processesing are you talking about it doesn't have that AVR850 has?

Strange as you say it uses same two line dot matrix display on front as Arcam - are they same company with two divisions?

Yeah the specs like very good. So what extortionate price are they looking for those pre-amps and amps then for a laugh?
I think they are something like $9500 USD.

Also what do you mean by "a version of the AVR850/550 but no inbuilt processing" - what processesing are you talking about it doesn't have that AVR850 has?
Sorry was meant to say ... no inbuilt power amps

Strange as you say it uses same two line dot matrix display on front as Arcam - are they same company with two divisions?
Arcam build the digital electronics, then Audiocontrol build them into their own assembly with their own tweaks (such as the balanced input and outputs).

I think they are something like $9500 USD.

Sorry was meant to say ... no inbuilt power amps

Arcam build the digital electronics, then Audiocontrol build them into their own assembly with their own tweaks (such as the balanced input and outputs).

Whoa that's some price alright if as you say they take the Arcam base and tweak it with a few extras! So I presume they are using Arcam Class G amps internally too then.

I find it very strange that Arcam don't produce any receiver with balanced in/outs or any split pre and power units at all. Surely there would be a big market for an Arcam 7 or 9 channel Class G power amp with balanced in etc. similar to the Yamaha unit or any or the ADA ones. Or an Arcam pre-amp with Dirac for people who already have 5 and 7 channel power amps who want latest Atmos/Dirac combination pre-unit...

Whoa that's some price alright if as you say they take the Arcam base and tweak it with a few extras! So I presume they are using Arcam Class G amps internally too then.

I find it very strange that Arcam don't produce any receiver with balanced in/outs or any split pre and power units at all. Surely there would be a big market for an Arcam 7 or 9 channel Class G power amp with balanced in etc. similar to the Yamaha unit or any or the ADA ones. Or an Arcam pre-amp with Dirac for people who already have 5 and 7 channel power amps who want latest Atmos/Dirac combination pre-unit...
Well as I have commented (maybe not in this thread) but Arcam did do a separate processor and power amp (the AV950 and P777) ... But the processor was significantly more than the AV750/450 it was based on (albeit with better DAC for 2 channel). So the question is (and equally demonstrated by Anthem) how much are you willing to spend to get balanced interconnects which are in most circumstances completely pointless!

So the question is (and equally demonstrated by Anthem) how much are you willing to spend to get balanced interconnects which are in most circumstances completely pointless!

You're making the mistake of mixing logic, reason, and sense with a/v equipment purchase decisions :D

The amp I am using cost only a couple hundred Euro over 5 years ago and since it is a 7.1 amp most of the time it plays back a 5.1 and 7.1 DTS-HD track exactly the same as any of these fancy high end thousands of Euro receivers and seperates. Chances are if I spend 3 grand tomorrow and swapped it out, I would not notice the slightest difference at all in 99% of the movies/TV I watch - that doesn't stop me wanting them though :smashin:

The DTS:X firmware release was posted on the Yamaha website today. Just downloading now.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom