1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha crossover

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jwillans, Oct 3, 2003.

1. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning to setup my newly purchased AV equipment this weekend: a Yamaha AX630 and a Tannoy FX5.1 speaker set. I'm a little confused about crossover settings. My understanding is that the Yamaha has a fixed crossover of 90Hz, I also understand (from here ) that this may cause some missing frequencies when used with the Tannoy's which have the following ratings:

satelites: 140Hz-78Khz
    subwoofer: 45Hz-140hz

So the missing frequences are between 90Hz and 140Hz. The above mentioned webpage suggests a solution which I don't understand the implication of. A number of questions:

1) Am I likely to miss the frequencies?
    2) Can setting my speakers to "large" harm them?
    3) Should I set all my speakers to "large"?

Thanks,

James

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    What they're saying is that you connect the sub from the front speaker outputs on the 630 to the High level input on the back of the sub. The front speakers are then connected to the same front speaker outs on the amp and the filtering built into the satellites will stop them from getting damaged. Setting the fronts to large will redirect the bass to the front channels and you'll hear it all as there is no 90hz cutoff. If you set all the speakers to large you will lose any bass that has been put in those channels so I would leave the centre and surround on small. What you will have is the 90hz-140hz gap in the centre channel which you might notice, nothing you can do about it though.

IMO this is a terrible way of doing it and Tannoy should have built the crosovers into the sub like most other manufactures do. The Cabasse XO is similar but includes a neat bass management box, an example of a company who has thought about how things connect together.

I find on my 630 that even 90hz is too high a crossover frequency so your sub will have to go between the front satellites or it will be very easy to localise.

Can I ask why you bought the Tannoy's?

3. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Avanzato,

Many thanks for your reply - very useful.

If I set the LFE/Bass out to "Both" would that work - the main satelite speakers deal with whatever they can handle, and the subwoofer the rest?

I bought the Tannoy's for a number of reasons. I needed something black and small to fit in with my existing furniture and space. I listened to the KEF egg (mark 1), but these only come in silver and were out of my price range. I've listened to the Tannoy's and (although they are not as good as the KEFs) I enjoyed the sound (this is for cinema listening only - I have a separate system for hifi) and I managed to get them at a great price (£250 delivered) and in black. A compromise for sure, but as a first step into home cinema, I think they will do the job well.

Thanks again for your reply,

James

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    If the Tannoy's allow you to use both the high and low level inputs on the sub at the same time then on the amp you need the main speakers set on 'large' and the bass set on 'sub'. If the Tannoys don't then the main speakers will still be 'large' but the bass should be set to 'main'. This will redirect the LFE and the bass from all other channels to the front L/R speakers and from there to the sub by the high level connection.

I would think the second is most likely. Which ever way you use be aware that the sub is now handling the bass from 6 speakers.

I've seen the FX 5.1 in shops and they look quite funky but did look kind of small to use for music.

5. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for your reply. Three quick questions:

When you talk about "speaker level inputs", you mean the pre-outs of the main speakers (front left and right)? I connect the left and right output to the sub's left and right input?

Since I am relying on the speakers to cut off their appropriate frequencies, are there any risks (to the speakers) in doing this?

What might the problem be with directing the bass from all speakers to subwoofer?

I must admit I'm erring towards living with the missing frequences. It seems such a small range that it might not matter.

James

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    No when I say speaker level or high level it is the connectors you use for speaker cable. Take the cables from the binding posts on the back of the amp into the spring clips on the sub. On the other hand connecting as you say with the amps L/R pre-outs going to the subs L/R low level inputs is a good a way of doing it and makes the cabling easier too.

The Tannoys are rated to 140hz and even if you use the 90hz bass management in the Yamaha the speakers will be handling the bass down to 90hz anyway. Hopefully Tannoy have built in some protection for the satellites. Just be careful at the start and listen if there are any problems. There probably won't be and you can just get down to enjoying the movies.

The more channels the sub has to handle the harder it has to work. To loud and it may bottom out and certainly will start to sound distorted. Again listen for problems, it depends on how loud you want to go.

To set up that way connect the speakers directly to the amps binding posts and the sub to the sub out on the Yamaha. All speakers will need to be 'small' and the bass set to 'sub'. I would try both ways and see which sounds better. The only difference is the speaker settings and whether the sub is connected to the sub out or main L/R outputs on the amp so it's not hard to swap.

Let me know how you get on.

7. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Avazato,

Thanks for all your advice. I'm going to try both approaches you suggest and compare the difference. I'll let you know how I get on.

James