Yamaha CDR HD1500

Hello,

I think that I have understood the format of the tables of contents, for a hard disk in a Yamaha CDR-HD1300 and CDR-HD1500.
Someone would be interested ?

-----

Bonjour,
J'ai pu décodé la "table of content" des Yamaha CDR-HD1300 et CDR-HD1500, ainsi que les entêtes des pistes. De sorte que je ne suis plus confronté aux bugs de Yamaha CDR-HD1500 Assistant. Faites-moi signe si vous être intéressé, pour que je fasse l'effort d'en donner une description complète.
Par contre, pour la programmation, ce que j'ai programmé pour l'instant est assez expérimental, et ne peut pratiquement fonctionner pour l'instant que sur mon ordinateur. Le mieux serait que je donne la description, et si quelqu'un sait vraiment programmer, il pourra faire un petit logiciel utilisable par tous.

Pour ce que j'ai fait :
- il me fallait beaucoup d'espace disque sur l'ordinateur (au moins 2 fois la taille du disque dur Yamaha),
- je connecte le disque dur Yamaha à l'ordinateur sur un port USB avec un adaptateur IDE
- j'extrait l'image du disque avec le logiciel ODIN (open disk imager in a nutshell), avec l'option "split in chucks = 500MB".
- ensuite ce que j'ai programmé m'a permis d'extraire toutes les pistes, au format WAV.
Si je connaissais bien la programmation système, par exemple, il n'y aurait pas besoin de faire l'extraction avec Odin.

I'm very interested in it! Could you explain the format or sent me your program code for analysis?
Thank you!!

Regards,
Philipp

Here the program file, I'm afraid that it will not be easy to analyse.

-----

Voilà le fichier, avec trop peu de commentaires.
Essayez par vous-même d'analyser le plus possible ce que vous voyez sur un disque dur de Yamaha CDR, puis je pense que vous trouverez des indices dans le fichier ci-joint.

Attachments

• extraire_yahd1x_d.txt
    11.5 KB · Views: 185
Hi Gillou47

Just read your info , found ODIN -will try today to use , it's easy to me as i already have a copy of my Yamaha HDD in external box with Firewire link.

Gracias !

Last edited:
Hi Gillou47

Just read your info , found ODIN -will try today to use , it's easy to me as i already have a copy of my Yamaha HDD in external box with Firewire link.

Gracias !

Would you please, kindly expand on your post, I am installing the XP (again) on an old PC and would like to be able to copy files and discs from the Yamaha to PC, either via Assistant app or by any other possible means.

Hi Dougallh,

Be careful in using the Assistant Program. Once you've used the program and put some audio on the harddisk of the Yamaha , you CAN NOT put audio afterwards on the harddisk through the intern cd-player. Either you use the cd-player OR you use the Assistant Program. That's the only bug that can not (or will not) be solved by the original owner of the program.

So please know what you are doing!
I use it only through my PC and don't put anything manual on it.

Greetings,
RoBoDutch

@RoBoDutch or anyone who knows for certain: Does the same restriction applies if you copy audio from the Yamaha harddisk to the PC, does that also render the CD drive unusable for copying from CD drive to the internal harddrive ?

Hello Ersel !
In fact i usually use Assistant because i don't need to do full backup of whole Yamaha HDD . The problems appear very rare even on my 500Gb almost full HDD - i.e. about 900 albums . But for any case i tried to start ODIN -just to check - it really sees Yamaha HDD -it's a fact - but i just cannot try to do the image of my 500Gb HDD 'cos i haven't another enough large HDD as target . But you can do that , if required . Regarding CDR drive - i had no problems with copying from CD to HDD after using Assistant - but really now here's no reason to do , because it's just easy and more fast to copy any CD on PC into .Wave files and then import on Yamaha HDD . And it's possible to edit the titles of songs and album before in Assistant - what is much more easy than to do that later on Yamaha using remote control or Title Edit program , which is old and no comfortable - and needs RS232 adapter as well .
Get luck and try !

Regards

No luck, even after installing the .NET framework 3.5 and all the hustle with installing SP3 on Win XP on this old HP rp5700 desktop.
The assistant app recognizes the all three drives on the desktop - one primary (system), one secondary hard drive (data) and even the USB memory attached to the usb port.
But it does not register the yamaha when connected.

Here is the info on the jumper configuration, so I am a bit at a loss on which one is the one that would work.

http://www.advancedaudiorentals.com/docs/Installhit250.pdf

As seen above, in the text of the PM,
I did not manage to get this (the Assistant app) to recognize the Yamaha HDD,
on HP rp5700 desktop PC, with Win XP SP3.

The app does start, it discovers the disks on the desktop, primary disk (system / data) , secondary disk (data only hard drive) and even if there is a usb stick attached.

But - it does not register the Yamaha disk at all, and I have tried this on two different HD1500 units.

On one of them, with Seagate Barracuda disk, the jumpers are set to the slave position already, no success.
On the other machine, with the 250 GB Hitachi Deskstar disk, I have tried different jumper options as listed on the harddrive, but no success either.

The cable has worked with the Yamaha Title software, so that should exclude the connection issue, I would believe.

Here is the description for the Hitachi deskstar jumper settings, within the documents, on page 1 of the document:
http://www.advancedaudiorentals.com/docs/Installhit250.pdf

Really don't know what to do more...

Last edited:
Ersel , pls answer - what a cable and what interface do you use for connection between PC and Yamaha HDD ? Even do photo of cable/adapter .

" The cable has worked with the Yamaha Title software, so that should exclude the connection issue, I would believe." - it's impossible . Title software works with CD-R1500 via RS232 port , but Assistant works only by direct cable PC-HDD , i.e. USB to IDE connector of HDD -Yamaha IDE cable must be removed

Ersel , pls answer - what a cable and what interface do you use for connection between PC and Yamaha HDD ? Even do photo of cable/adapter .

" The cable has worked with the Yamaha Title software, so that should exclude the connection issue, I would believe." - it's impossible .
Title software works with CD-R1500 via RS232 port , but Assistant works only by direct cable PC-HDD , i.e. USB to IDE connector of HDD -Yamaha IDE cable must be removed

Exactly!
I do apologize to all of you here !

I mistakenly believed that the serial (RS-232) cable would work, but of course, it does not with the Assistant software.
Reading the the first posts about the software in this thread (RoBoDutch) before falling asleep late yesterday, I understood this:

For any future reference:
The Assistant software works with either HDD (IDE or SATA) enclosure, or HDD USB-IDE cable.

I will have to dig out the cable I happen to own, and know it works, from the storage, hopefully today, and will report on the progress !

@Valnow - many thanks for your kind (and fast) replies, and patience with me !! :)

Hi Gillou47

Gracias !

Valnow, and anyone who is (still) following this thread:
I still happen to own the old Yamaha CDR-HD 1300E - and the only way known to me to extract the data of it without burning to the CDR(W) would be this program you have mentioned and tried (from what I remember successfully (?) to use - for the extraction, and then used ODIN).

I am interested in this first program to transfer the data from the Yamaha CDR-HD 1300E, since the harddrive on this device is 40GB - it makes sense for this device.

Please, if anyone can provide the instructions on how to use this program - app - I would be really grateful .

Exactly!
I do apologize to all of you here !

I mistakenly believed that the serial (RS-232) cable would work, but of course, it does not with the Assistant software.
Reading the the first posts about the software in this thread (RoBoDutch) before falling asleep late yesterday, I understood this:

For any future reference:
The Assistant software works with either HDD (IDE or SATA) enclosure, or HDD USB-IDE cable.

I will have to dig out the cable I happen to own, and know it works, from the storage, hopefully today, and will report on the progress !

@Valnow - many thanks for your kind (and fast) replies, and patience with me !! :)

Since I see now that I have not followed up this post, here it comes:

I have used the Assistant app with full success (in order to offload tracks and discs from the Yamaha CDR-HD1500 to the PC), and since all of the tracks were done as Auto - Period tracks on timer recordings, it was full success on several occasions.

This app has made my life a whole lot easier and gave a new life to the Yamaha.
The only worrying detail is the availability of the IDE harddrives, as they will be increasingly difficult to come by in the future (they already are, at least locally).

Yamaha is really a good quality recorder, it is a shame that it cannot be used with more modern drives.

Many thanks to all of you guys for this thread and for helping out, Valnow in particular.

Okay Ersel -glad that you did it ! Really i couldn't get any results with ODIN 'cos it requires a lot of HDD free space -so Assistant remains our only one really worked solution .
Cheers !
P.S. May be it's good idea to buy 2-3 used IDE HDDs for a future needs -it's not expensive i guess , i'm sure it's possible to find in good condition as the quality of old HDD was much higher than newones . Seagate that were made in Ireland for example.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and live in Germany. Unfortunately, I can not speak English and have to translate with Google translator.
I write to "Yamaha_Assistant".

For years I was looking for software for the Yamaha CDR. With the "Yamaha_Assistent" I have found this here now - I'm happy. Many thanks to the developer of "Yamaha_Assistent". "Yamaha_Assistant" is a great achievement because it allows you to connect 2 different systems, a Yamaha CDR and the PC.

I have 2 recorders Yamaha CDR-HD1500,
Firm. Version P 1.0.40 Aug 17 2005
Firm. Version P 2.0.02 Febr 14 2007

Used blanks: "CD-R-Audio 80"
Copy Method: "Digital Copy"

The hard drive of the CDR, I have "USB 2.0 to IDE adapter" connected to the PC.
When exporting from the CDR to the PC I often had the error: "Not enough memory available".

I could find some rules that need to be considered:
1) I could copy everything that was ripped to the CDR as a CD. It did not matter if the recordings on the CDR had the Yamaha copy protection or not and if they were analog or digital. Everything just had to be ripped and was not allowed to be edited after ripping (except "Track Title" and "Disc Title" with "Yamaha Title Editor", maybe there are other exceptions). The shots that caused the error "Not enough memory available" when exporting were all separate recordings from different sources, not ripped files.

2) Special characters are available in the CDR menu for creating titles. When entering titles, special characters may only be used for those which are also displayed on the PC, e.g. are allowed for captioning folders. Otherwise there are problems with exporting (examples: when using the character "slash / or \" in the "track title" the "track title" is not copied, when using the character "colon:" in the "track title" the file is damaged and unreadable).

My PC has the Windows 10 Pro system. Yamaha Assistant must be run as administrator, otherwise this will not work.
Nothing can be transmitted from the CD drive with Yamaha Assistant. Just rip the CD and then import with Yamaha Assistant.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and live in Germany. Unfortunately, I can not speak English and have to translate with Google translator.
I write to "Yamaha_Assistant".

For years I was looking for software for the Yamaha CDR. With the "Yamaha_Assistent" I have found this here now - I'm happy. Many thanks to the developer of "Yamaha_Assistent". "Yamaha_Assistant" is a great achievement because it allows you to connect 2 different systems, a Yamaha CDR and the PC.

I have 2 recorders Yamaha CDR-HD1500,
Firm. Version P 1.0.40 Aug 17 2005
Firm. Version P 2.0.02 Febr 14 2007

Used blanks: "CD-R-Audio 80"
Copy Method: "Digital Copy"

The hard drive of the CDR, I have "USB 2.0 to IDE adapter" connected to the PC.
When exporting from the CDR to the PC I often had the error: "Not enough memory available".

I could find some rules that need to be considered:
1) I could copy everything that was ripped to the CDR as a CD. It did not matter if the recordings on the CDR had the Yamaha copy protection or not and if they were analog or digital. Everything just had to be ripped and was not allowed to be edited after ripping (except "Track Title" and "Disc Title" with "Yamaha Title Editor", maybe there are other exceptions). The shots that caused the error "Not enough memory available" when exporting were all separate recordings from different sources, not ripped files.

2) Special characters are available in the CDR menu for creating titles. When entering titles, special characters may only be used for those which are also displayed on the PC, e.g. are allowed for captioning folders. Otherwise there are problems with exporting (examples: when using the character "slash / or \" in the "track title" the "track title" is not copied, when using the character "colon:" in the "track title" the file is damaged and unreadable).

My PC has the Windows 10 Pro system. Yamaha Assistant must be run as administrator, otherwise this will not work.
Nothing can be transmitted from the CD drive with Yamaha Assistant. Just rip the CD and then import with Yamaha Assistant.

The problems listed in the part 1.) of your post were, with some more explanations as to why they occur (partial explanation) described by the user or moderator RoBoDutch either at this forum, or some other forum, in one dedicated thread (to this matter).
I also thought that "not enough memory" error is caused only because of the editing of the tracks after recording to Yamaha's HDD, disregarding completely the fact that they can be
"all separate recordings from different sources, not ripped files".
Files (tracks on Yamaha HDD) are either recorded from different sources in real time, or ripped at certain speeds (on 1x speed, which is recording in real time from the CDR(W) ) - only when they are edited (after either ripping or recording from separate sources) do they cause the "not enough memory" error. That was at least my understanding.

Of course - you cannot use the Assistant program to extract from the CD - the program was not made for that, but to read the proprietary file system from the Yamaha's HDD. Those two file systems are two different things.

Your problems under 2.) are typical computer (OS-) file-systems restrictions regarding both "/" and ":" character, since those are typically used as delimiters for file system data hierarchy (file paths - which is one or series of maps, and in the end the file as the last leaf in the data-tree), so the program "mistakenly" reads such file name as a certain supposed file path, which does not exist at the HDD which is read by the app, which of course causes the error.
Remember, those symbols should never be used in the file names.

The Assistant app is truly remarkable effort, unfortunately unfinished, since the Japanese guy who wrote the program never got to finish it, since his unit broke down during the process.

A great shame, but even as it is, this app is excellent, since it allows off-loading of the recordings from the Yamaha's HDD. The editing can be done easily then on the PC or any other modern computer.

Valnow, and anyone who is (still) following this thread:
I still happen to own the old Yamaha CDR-HD 1300E - and the only way known to me to extract the data of it without burning to the CDR(W) would be this program you have mentioned and tried (from what I remember successfully (?) to use - for the extraction, and then used ODIN).

I am interested in this first program to transfer the data from the Yamaha CDR-HD 1300E, since the harddrive on this device is 40GB - it makes sense for this device.

Please, if anyone can provide the instructions on how to use this program - app - I would be really grateful .
Je vois que c'est toujours un sujet d'intérêt, j'avais su programmer une solution pour moi pour extraire les pistes, mais j'aurais besoin d'être aidé par quelqu'un qui sait programmer afin d'ajouter des options et surtout rendre la chose plus pratique d'utilisation.
automatic translation : "I see that it is always a subject of interest, I knew how to program a solution for me to extract the tracks, but I would need to be helped by someone who knows how to program in order to add options and especially to make the thing more convenient to use."

Je vois que c'est toujours un sujet d'intérêt, j'avais su programmer une solution pour moi pour extraire les pistes, mais j'aurais besoin d'être aidé par quelqu'un qui sait programmer afin d'ajouter des options et surtout rendre la chose plus pratique d'utilisation.
automatic translation : "I see that it is always a subject of interest, I knew how to program a solution for me to extract the tracks, but I would need to be helped by someone who knows how to program in order to add options and especially to make the thing more convenient to use."

I would need to have a polished program with added options, and especially user friendly program.

I would just need the instructions on how to use the program, it doesn't need to have a GUI at all, it can be all command line (terminal on mac).
Since I presume the program might be written in C or C++, I would only need that program and instructions on how it is used, and what to do with the operating system (perhaps, if needed or required) in order to get the program to work and only extract the tracks from the Yamaha CDR-HD1300
I am used to using a computer with more "obscure" things and programs, and the most important (well, the only) thing to me would be the ability to extract the tracks out of the Yamaha CDR-HD1300.

But I have noted what you say about need for contacting the programmer in order to do what you want to do further with the program. If it happens that I find someone (not an easy task), I will certainly let you know.

Feel free to contact me even via PM here, whenever you like.

OK
first : make a copy of the HDD, in a big file or several big files, with a tool like Odin or Carbon Copy Cloner. Exact copy without any compression.
Two : if you use Mac, install DMD Compiler for OSX - D Programming Language
then i will help you
Hi
Interesting discussions. Gillou47 would you know the journaling system for the Yamaha CDR-hd1500?

Well folks its been awhile since I was last here but thought I'd share some info regarding my CDR1500 which I have had forever.
I attempted and succeeded in copying my IDE hard drive to a 500GB SATA using the STAR TECH stand alone hard drive cloner (had previously been using this to swap out my older noiser IDE drives for newer ones.) and have it playing back all my music using a STAR Tech IDE to SATA converter. Bought from Amazon.
Happy days I thought...... but sadly the IDE-SATA converter introduces a ticking sound to any CD recordings made to the drive using the CDR's CD player.

I have bought but not tried 4 other IDE to SATA converter boards but have not had the oppertunity to see if another converter will allow a 'tick'free recording. either way it is one possibility of keeping these great machines going.

Just to let you know SATA can be used and you may have more luck in getting it to record than I have so far.

Thanks Robo for all you input over the years, I've been a regular reader :0)

Samsung 500GB SATA
Start Tech Hard drive cloner,
Start Tech IDE to SATA converter.
hard drive and SATA converter fit easily into hard drive dock space in CDR1500.

Cheers,

C

Well folks its been awhile since I was last here but thought I'd share some info regarding my CDR1500 which I have had forever.
I attempted and succeeded in copying my IDE hard drive to a 500GB SATA using the STAR TECH stand alone hard drive cloner (had previously been using this to swap out my older noiser IDE drives for newer ones.) and have it playing back all my music using a STAR Tech IDE to SATA converter. Bought from Amazon.
Happy days I thought...... but sadly the IDE-SATA converter introduces a ticking sound to any CD recordings made to the drive using the CDR's CD player.

I have bought but not tried 4 other IDE to SATA converter boards but have not had the oppertunity to see if another converter will allow a 'tick'free recording. either way it is one possibility of keeping these great machines going.

Just to let you know SATA can be used and you may have more luck in getting it to record than I have so far.

Samsung 500GB SATA

Cheers,

C

I guess the interesting question here would be this:
What happens if it is (at all) possible to make analog recording (not the digital copy) to the SATA drive with Yamaha - from the analog source, say - FM tuner, or from some other external source.

To be more precise, are those clicks present even on the SATA to begin with, or only when the data (recordings) are copied with Yamaha to the CD ?

Samsung 500GB SATA

Cheers,

C

hi guys

my budget doesn’t presently allow me but, there is a first class solution : a native IDE solid state drive being made!!
2.5” 512GB PATA SSD DGP25-C12D70BW1QC

And

Simms.co.uk has available :

SR2IF512G-MQCTMB-U - £362.53 Ex vat – 10 working days lead time

WR2IF512G-MQCTMB-UC - £395.49 Ex vat – 10 working days lead time

The more expensive one is more extreme heat and cold tolerant.

I have not tried an analog copy as I use the unit purely as a juke box, but since the original PATA hard drive still saved analog information as digital 1's and 0's I suspect the SSD SATA is not the issue but rather the IDE - SATA converter.
I swapped the hard drive back to the IDE drive for a time and re-rested to make sure the CD drive was not a fault.
Also the SATA arrangement would not copy any CD at best effort speed, I had to select 1x speed to achieve any recording without the Yamaha hanging up, but then the TICK noise like a scratch on vinyl shows up.

I did see the SSD PATA drives when I decided to do the latest drive update, but what a price!
Hoped that a 70 pound Samsung SSD and a 15 pound converter that claims data transfer speed far in excess of the original PATA drive would do the job instead. Close but no cigar.

As I have not purchased a CD in the past couple of months that was worthy of making it to the Yamaha it has not been an issue as play back of my music library to this point it faultless, plus no noise or heat from the drive. Still hope to find one of the other converters work and if they do I'll let you know which one.

I guess my present arrangement would be perfect for those who update their hard drive library via PC using the Assistant program since they can no longer use the CD drive in the Yamaha anyway.

Cheers,

C

I guess my present arrangement would be perfect for those who update their hard drive library via PC using the Assistant program since they can no longer use the CD drive in the Yamaha anyway.

If it would turn out that even ordinary (non-SSD) SATA drives would work with Yamaha CDR-HD1500 - well, that would be a great thing for all of us using the Yamaha with the Assistant program...

This would need some confirmation from @cleiper, @Shob or anyone involved here - since the earlier attempts to use SATA-IDE/PATA adapters did not make using SATA drives were reportedly not successful at all, according to some posts in this thread or elsewhere on AVforums.

Yes it plays back just fine with the arrangement I mentioned above.
I work offshore so am not able to confirm any of the other SATA-PATA adaptors yet, but I will once I get the chance, I will also be trying a standard spinning SATA drive just in case the SSD is the recording error culprit, unlikely but 'll give it a try.

Cheers,

C

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom