Yamaha CDR HD1500

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Tice, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Valnow

Valnow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Ersel !
    In fact i usually use Assistant because i don't need to do full backup of whole Yamaha HDD . The problems appear very rare even on my 500Gb almost full HDD - i.e. about 900 albums . But for any case i tried to start ODIN -just to check - it really sees Yamaha HDD -it's a fact - but i just cannot try to do the image of my 500Gb HDD 'cos i haven't another enough large HDD as target . But you can do that , if required . Regarding CDR drive - i had no problems with copying from CD to HDD after using Assistant - but really now here's no reason to do , because it's just easy and more fast to copy any CD on PC into .Wave files and then import on Yamaha HDD . And it's possible to edit the titles of songs and album before in Assistant - what is much more easy than to do that later on Yamaha using remote control or Title Edit program , which is old and no comfortable - and needs RS232 adapter as well .
    Get luck and try !

Regards

2. ersel

ersel
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

As seen above, in the text of the PM,
    I did not manage to get this (the Assistant app) to recognize the Yamaha HDD,
    on HP rp5700 desktop PC, with Win XP SP3.

The app does start, it discovers the disks on the desktop, primary disk (system / data) , secondary disk (data only hard drive) and even if there is a usb stick attached.

But - it does not register the Yamaha disk at all, and I have tried this on two different HD1500 units.

On one of them, with Seagate Barracuda disk, the jumpers are set to the slave position already, no success.
    On the other machine, with the 250 GB Hitachi Deskstar disk, I have tried different jumper options as listed on the harddrive, but no success either.

The cable has worked with the Yamaha Title software, so that should exclude the connection issue, I would believe.

Here is the description for the Hitachi deskstar jumper settings, within the documents, on page 1 of the document:
    http://www.advancedaudiorentals.com/docs/Installhit250.pdf

Really don't know what to do more...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  3. Valnow

Valnow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ersel , pls answer - what a cable and what interface do you use for connection between PC and Yamaha HDD ? Even do photo of cable/adapter .

4. Valnow

Valnow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    " The cable has worked with the Yamaha Title software, so that should exclude the connection issue, I would believe." - it's impossible . Title software works with CD-R1500 via RS232 port , but Assistant works only by direct cable PC-HDD , i.e. USB to IDE connector of HDD -Yamaha IDE cable must be removed

5. ersel

ersel
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly!
    I do apologize to all of you here !

I mistakenly believed that the serial (RS-232) cable would work, but of course, it does not with the Assistant software.
    Reading the the first posts about the software in this thread (RoBoDutch) before falling asleep late yesterday, I understood this:

For any future reference:
    The Assistant software works with either HDD (IDE or SATA) enclosure, or HDD USB-IDE cable.

I will have to dig out the cable I happen to own, and know it works, from the storage, hopefully today, and will report on the progress !

@Valnow - many thanks for your kind (and fast) replies, and patience with me !! :)

6. ersel

ersel
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Valnow, and anyone who is (still) following this thread:
    I still happen to own the old Yamaha CDR-HD 1300E - and the only way known to me to extract the data of it without burning to the CDR(W) would be this program you have mentioned and tried (from what I remember successfully (?) to use - for the extraction, and then used ODIN).

I am interested in this first program to transfer the data from the Yamaha CDR-HD 1300E, since the harddrive on this device is 40GB - it makes sense for this device.

Please, if anyone can provide the instructions on how to use this program - app - I would be really grateful .

7. ersel

ersel
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Since I see now that I have not followed up this post, here it comes:

I have used the Assistant app with full success (in order to offload tracks and discs from the Yamaha CDR-HD1500 to the PC), and since all of the tracks were done as Auto - Period tracks on timer recordings, it was full success on several occasions.

This app has made my life a whole lot easier and gave a new life to the Yamaha.
    The only worrying detail is the availability of the IDE harddrives, as they will be increasingly difficult to come by in the future (they already are, at least locally).

Yamaha is really a good quality recorder, it is a shame that it cannot be used with more modern drives.

Many thanks to all of you guys for this thread and for helping out, Valnow in particular.

8. Valnow

Valnow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay Ersel -glad that you did it ! Really i couldn't get any results with ODIN 'cos it requires a lot of HDD free space -so Assistant remains our only one really worked solution .
    Cheers !
    P.S. May be it's good idea to buy 2-3 used IDE HDDs for a future needs -it's not expensive i guess , i'm sure it's possible to find in good condition as the quality of old HDD was much higher than newones . Seagate that were made in Ireland for example.