Yamaha CD-NT670D (USB Access Error)

Big Simon

Hi All,

Recently purchase the Yamaha CD-NT670D combined CD player and music streamer and very pleased with it.

One problem. When i insert the USB drive (Samsung as per the attached spec below, i am getting the message on the unit "USB access error".

Does anyone know how this can be corrected? Is it a formatting problem with the USB etc?

I copied all my MP3, AAC files in folders across across from my Mac.

DId a basic run to start with a few folders on a much smaller flash drive and worked ok, but for some reason i cannot seem to get this USB to word.

In addition I tried my WD Elements My Passport 1TB USB drive for mac and getting the same message.

Help! lol

Best

Simon.

Amazon product

Jamie

Distinguished Member
What format do your various drives use (right click and choose get info on the drives icon on your Mac desktop)

I suspect they may be formatted in a Mac format which often has poor or none existant support on none Apple devices.

Big Simon

What format do your various drives use (right click and choose get info on the drives icon on your Mac desktop)

I suspect they may be formatted in a Mac format which often has poor or none existant support on none Apple devices.
Thanks Jamie,

Format is coming up on the Samsung USB as ExFAT, Kind is volume.

Does that help?

Simon

Big Simon

Jamie,

The drive that works is MS-DOS (FAT32).

Is there any easy way to change the Samsung to same?
Do i need to wipe the drive, format it to new and then recopy the files again?

Best

Simon.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Yes it does, I found the Yamaha manual online and it looks like it only supports FAT32 format and not the newer EXFAT used for your new drive.

You can use disk utility to format as FAT32.

Big Simon

Yes it does, I found the Yamaha manual online and it looks like it only supports FAT32 format and not the newer EXFAT used for your new drive.

Jamie,

Very much appreciated, thank you!

Simon

andybebbs

yes format to fat32 then copy files over should work then. i have the same cd player works for me.
Andy

Big Simon

yes format to fat32 then copy files over should work then. i have the same cd player works for me.
Andy
Andy,

Have problems with the USB again.

All my files are lossless (ALAC format) and copied over to the hard drive and plugged in via USB

The CD player can see all the folders and files.

See the attached images. Once i select any file that was originally encoded with Media monkey it freezes up and then says "no info" on the player

The file with the black artwork plays fine, but the one with the red artwork doesn't?

Both files play absolutely fine on my MAC before i copy across to the hard drive. The only difference i can see in they both is the "encoded with section" but perhaps i am missing something?

The hard drive plugged into the USB is formatted MS-DOS (FAT) and master boot record.

Musicast can see the red artwork file, show you it on the ipad but cant play and then "no info" comes up on the player itself.

I am at a loss to explain. Any ideas?

Best

Simon.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 20.30.13.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 20.30.13.png
    439.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 20.29.30.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 20.29.30.png
    465 KB · Views: 10

Big Simon

Andy,

Have problems with the USB again.

All my files are lossless (ALAC format) and copied over to the hard drive and plugged in via USB

The CD player can see all the folders and files.

See the attached images. Once i select any file that was originally encoded with Media monkey it freezes up and then says "no info" on the player

The file with the black artwork plays fine, but the one with the red artwork doesn't?

Both files play absolutely fine on my MAC before i copy across to the hard drive. The only difference i can see in they both is the "encoded with section" but perhaps i am missing something?

The hard drive plugged into the USB is formatted MS-DOS (FAT) and master boot record.

Musicast can see the red artwork file, show you it on the ipad but cant play and then "no info" comes up on the player itself.

I am at a loss to explain. Any ideas?

Best

Simon.
I should have added.
The files i am having difficulty with were original flac and converted to ALAC for apple music. They import ok and play fine on the MAC in Music. The files i'm not having issues with were imported directly from the CD in ALAC format.
I use Apple Music simply for database management but it doesnt support flac hence the conversion.
This may or may not help
Best
Simon.

Big Simon

Jamie,

thanks for your continued help, its very much appreciated.

Just responded to Andy below wit some pictures, a real head melter of a query which im thinking the only possibly avenue to try and fix would be to go buy the CD's and re-import burn using Apples lossless encoder.... 🤦‍♂️

Best

Simon.

Cebolla

It's possible the Yamaha has a limit on the storage size and/or resolution of the ALAC files' embedded artwork. Can you test this by removing one of the non-playing file's artwork tag(s) and seeing if that file now plays?

Last edited:

Big Simon

It's possible the Yamaha has a limit on the storage size and/or resolution of the ALAC files' embedded artwork. Can you test this by removing one of the non-playing file's artwork tag(s) and seeing if that file now plays?
Hi,

No, doesn't work. Remove the artwork on 3 separate files and nothing. Still refuses to play the files.
Bizarre as all the files play find through Music on my MAC. Its just when i transfer them to the hard drive there is a problem. I even tested another hard drive but makes no difference, same result.
At a loss to what this could be

Appreciate your help

Simon.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Jamie,

thanks for your continued help, its very much appreciated.

Just responded to Andy below wit some pictures, a real head melter of a query which im thinking the only possibly avenue to try and fix would be to go buy the CD's and re-import burn using Apples lossless encoder.... 🤦‍♂️

Best

Simon.
Once you have a lossless file it's possible to convert to other lossless formats without losing quality so you don't necessarily need to be that extreme.

Although I'm now a Mac user I'll say I was a long time Windows user which has shaped my music library, I still use FLAC.

One suggestion I have as a workaround would be to convert the problem files to FLAC for use on the Yamaha, personally I use an app on my Mac called XLD to both rip CDs to FLAC and also it can convert other files to FLAC.

Edit to add, just noticed these files were originally flac rips, if you still have the originals that would be ideal.

Last edited:

Big Simon

Once you have a lossless file it's possible to convert to other lossless formats without losing quality so you don't necessarily need to be that extreme.

Although I'm now a Mac user I'll say I was a long time Windows user which has shaped my music library, I still use FLAC.

One suggestion I have as a workaround would be to convert the problem files to FLAC for use on the Yamaha, personally I use an app on my Mac called XLD to both rip CDs to FLAC and also it can convert other files to FLAC.

Edit to add, just noticed these files were originally flac rips, if you still have the originals that would be ideal.
Hi Jamie,

I somewhat pre-empted the attached in that i converted the problem files to FLAC. It didn't make any difference, the files still did not play.

Its an odd one because they all play fine on the MAC, its just when i transfer them to the hard drive and subsequently the USB port on the Yamaha CD Player.

I only use Apple Music to manage my library so as far as lossless goes and support wise, i think ALAC is as good as it gets.

I'm wondering is this something in the Wavepad music editor conversion to ALAC that Yamaha doesn't like?

All CD's that are directly imported through Apple Music with the Apple Lossless encoder appear to be fine. However any files that i acquired from somewhere else in FLAC and where then converted to ALAC in Wavepad seem to be problematic for the most part. Or is it because they were originally encoded with MediaMonkey (not by me) and that's where the issue is?

Strange though that all files play fine on the MAC, are all in the same ALAC format but only certain ones play on the CD plater USB

Best

Simon.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom