Yamaha Can’t See Front Speakers

STRATT

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I connected new RP 8000s to my Yamaha TSR 700 (RX-V6A), along with a new RP-404C and new RP-502S surrounds. Something is up with the front channel as the receiver will not see the front speakers at all.

Details: The Yamaha was last used in a 5.1 setup last July. At that time it was connected to my JBLs (which I no longer have). It’s been in storage from then until now. In the meantime, I purchased the Klipsch speakers, and in particular the 8000s because they can be bi-amped (my Yamaha allows for this).

A few days ago, I pulled the Yamaha out of storage and connected all the new Klipsch speakers (R,C,L,RR, LR) with new 14 gauge wire and new banana plugs. I removed the speaker jumpers on the 8000s, followed the Yamaha instruction manual and wired the speakers for bi-amping. The unit was off and not connected to power. I then attempted to run the Yamaha Parametric room Acoustic Optimizer (YPAO). No sound emitted during the test, and it stopped after 14 seconds with the following error message: “E1:No Front SP” to which the listed solution was “Exit YPAO, turn off the unit, and then check the speaker connections.” I assumed it had something to do with the attempt at bi-amping (my first time doing it), so I put the jumpers back on the speakers and removed the second set of speaker wires from the equation. I again got the same error from YPAO. When choosing test tone however, I could hear speaker emissions from the center and surround channels, but not the fronts.

After continuing to play around with it with no success, I reset the receiver, and double checked the firmware. In order to be sure that the speakers weren’t the issue, I switched the front channel 8000s with the surround channel 502s. I then ran a test tone and found that the 8000s on the surround channel were now emitting sound. At that point I knew that the speakers weren’t necessarily the issue. I couldn’t find anything in the manual about fuses, nor are there any accessible fuses in the back that I could see.

I then took a multi-meter and tested the continuity of all eight speaker wires for the front channel bi-amp set up. They all are good. I set everything back up for bi-amping and tried running YPAO again. Still can’t detect the front channel speakers. (I did choose the Bi-Amp option in the setup menu.)

I have a Sony receiver in storage that I plan to set up tomorrow just to confirm that all the speakers work as they are supposed to. Other than that, I’m not sure how to proceed.

I don't have your receiver but was wondering if you used a power amp in the previous setup? Are there settings in your receiver for amp assignment and it is expecting an external amp to power the front speakers?

Are you attempting to bi-amp from the same unit, ie, passive bi-amping?

I don't have your receiver but was wondering if you used a power amp in the previous setup? Are there settings in your receiver for amp assignment and it is expecting an external amp to power the front speakers?
That’s a great question, but no—no power amp ever used.

Even if incorrectly configured for bi-amping, you'd still hear something because the front stereo speaker outputs would still be driving the drive units on the speakers that they are connected to. If not getting anything then I'd have to suggest the issue is with the wiring, the speakers themselves or an actual harware fault with the AV receiver? There will always be output from the front left and right speaker terminals irrex[ective of what assignments you set relative to the back speaker terminals.

The AV receiver's amp assignments shouldn't be causing such an issue and wouldn't ever stop there being output from the front left and right terminals. There is no amp assignment that would disable the front speaker terminals.

Even if incorrectly configured for bi-amping, you'd still hear something because the front stereo speaker outputs would still be driving the drive units on the speakers that they are connected to. If not getting anything then I'd have to suggest the issue is with the wiring, the speakers themselves or an actual harware fault with the AV receiver? There will always be output from the front left and right speaker terminals irrex[ective of what assignments you set relative to the back speaker terminals.

The AV receiver's amp assignments shouldn't be causing such an issue and wouldn't ever stop there being output from the front left and right terminals. There is no amp assignment that would disable the front speaker terminals.
Thank you. I actually hooked up the speakers and all the wires to an older Sony AVR that I had in storage yesterday, and everything now works.

Because I purchased the Yamaha at Costco (once I determined that the speakers in the wiring were all good) I ended up returning the Yamaha to Costco. The bad news is, I have to wait for it to go on sale again around Christmas before I can buy it again 😫

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom