1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yamaha bungs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by strontiumdog, May 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a yamaha rx650 ,just bought it.i was told by yamaha uk that i could use banana plugs as the plastic bungs on the back were removable.well there not moving and i dont like to force things.is there a knack to removing the bungs. i would leave it but have spent a fortune on the banana plugs.

2. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Heheheh. I had this problem too. Get a set of blunt nose pliers and pull them off with those. Use them face on instead of sideways, because using them sideways will just squash the bungs and the pliers will slide off the plastic.

3. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you mean break the bungs with the pliers ? what if my bananas dont fit

4. CosmosD

CosmosD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I found with my Yamaha Receiver that there wasn't actually a bung. The hole is actually covered by a thin layer of plastic which can be easily pierced with something like a stanley knife. You can then easily insert your banana plugs.

5. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    if you do a search using the link above you will find this is a common problem that is answered in one of the forums FAQ's. Basically you need to pierce the middle of the plug/cap using something like a safety pin or small jewelers style screwdriver and then just pull the caps out.

6. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wish there were some pictures ,those bungs dont sound anything like mine arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

7. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The Yamaha receivers don't have bungs. They have an undersized hole in the end of the terminal which can either be bored out to 4mm or simply pushed in by the end of the 4mm plug. Either way will work but boring them out is neater. You can simply get a 4mm drill bit and rotate it by hand. The plastic on the end of the speaker terminals is very thin.

8. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Okay, I don't know where you heard that, but that's wrong.

I got mine three weeks ago and I actually went into Sevenoaks and said 'hey, the banana plugs you sold me don't fit the Yahama terminals.'
    The guys said 'Yeah they do!'
    Showed me the back of their and lo! it was so. I felt like a proper lemon.

You have to take the plastic bungs off. If you pull them with your hand, they won't come off, you need to use pliers. Grip it so the pliers' nose is facing the receiver, not at a right angle to the receiver. Then just pull. It takes a little force, but after a couple of bung you'll notice that a certain angle and way of gripping makes them come off quite easily.

It's not hard at all. I'd take pictures but my receiver is nicely holed up in its perch.
    I can take pictures of the bungs themselves if you like?

9. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was told to push gently with a B plug and hey presto the thin plastic gives way and there you have it!!! and it works, this is on a 750 so no need to rip off the plastic with pliers!! well unless you want too.

The advice was from Superfi and thats how they had done it on the one in the shop.
    It would appear that either method will produce the required results.

cheers

Chris

10. shortone

shortone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Either Way when I finish work tonight Im going home to pull, poke and rip my amp to bits.
    Made up my speaker cables yesterday but have left the banana's off the amp end of the cables for now, but not for long!!

Good stuff as always.

Andy

11. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Heh. I pushed more than just gently on mine, there was no giving way from the plastic. Impenetrable little bugger.
    I was honestly convinced that Sevenoaks had sold me some weird sized banana plugs, but as soon as I saw the back of their RX-V1500 in the store, where they had some of the bungs still on and some off, I realised what a plonker I'd been.

12. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Sorry about the misinformation. I assumed (apparenty incorrectly) that the RXV650 would be the same as the DSPAX750, RXV1500, RXV1400, RXV640 etc. I personally have modifiead all of thes exactly as I described. I have not seen the back of an RXV650 yet so apologies appear to be in order. :oops:

13. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    No problem, to be quite honest your way would work just fine anyway. If I'd been left to my own devices, that's what I'd have ended up doing with mine.

14. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
  15. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I think the "bungs" are just a thin bit of plastic that is easily broken once you push with a bit of force with the plugs. Not like my speakers for example where you have to remove a little plug first.

Just push ;)