1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha blown amp. HELP ME.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by megaretro, Nov 28, 2004.

1. megaretro

megaretro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, yesterday my amp blew on my YST SW800 sub. :thumbsdow
    After reading a few threads Im at a crossroads of wether to buy a new sub or get a new plate amp form BK? :confused:

I was thinking of replacing the original Yamaha amp with the BSBP 200. Size wise it will fit with a litte bit of a modification, power wise I think it will be OK too(not sure to get 4 or 8 Ohm as the yamaha maunal for my sub quotes the driver as 6 Ohm!!!) unless you guys can see any problems I have missed?

I was very happy with my sub (when it worked) and dont really want to trash it. Any adivse welcome.

PS- this is my first post and great forum. :smashin:

2. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thats weird. my YSTSW800 amp blew up at some point recently (may not have immediately realised when :blush: ). Tried to get local repairer to fix it, they identified the problem but Yamaha would not supply the part.

I am getting a BK XLS200 to replace it.

BK sub panels are smaller 252mm vs 290mm, not worth the hassle of trying to botch something up I feel.

3. megaretro

megaretro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks linnite for the reply, that is strange. read a few people have had the same problem does the front LED still operate and the amp click on but no sound!

Also did you find out what the faulty part was??
    Just asking because Im not afraid of a bit of soldering. ;)

4. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Exactly that fault. The shop said an amp chip but I couldnt find out more because I left it a little while before asking to speak to the engineer to get the info.

5. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I must admit I am fairly happy to change the sub as from what I have learned about the XLS200 it is a good match for my Linn speakers design-wise. Meaning a sealed box design with the emphasis on speed and control of the cone movement.

When I got the Yam I wanted a sub that would go low and had reserves of power. From specs the BK goes as low, i.e. 17hz (-3db).

6. megaretro

megaretro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how does the XLS200 compare have you heard one?
    I must admit I loved the Yam but not sure if the XLS200 although it must be good
    will be as loud and low as the yam or am I wrong?

7. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Don't think you can audition a BK anywhere as they deal direct. You would have to buy on specs and the opinions of others which I am prepared to do.

Some longstanding forum members give each other dems of equipment, maybe you could ask someone on here?

From specs the BK goes as low as the Yam and I am expecting it to have better 'control' and speed. It won't, however, go as loud or have the same 'slam' ability as it does not have sufficient box size, or amp power to do this.

I am confident that the BK is high value for money, though. I reckon that it would cost twice as much in a nice cosy hifi shop with all it's overheads.

8. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    P.S. I am happy to sacrifice some loudness for control as maybe all that power is not appropriate to my 12' by 11' room!