• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Yamaha AX759SE - Any good

CasDon

Established Member
I'm waiting for Digital Direct to get back to me about the exchange of my Toshiba 42WLT66

The guy has already told me I can't get a direct swap so I'll have to have an equivalent model which looks like it will be the 42WLT68.

He also warned me there could be some cost difference which seeing as the 68 has activevision, an extra HDMI port, built in upscaling and 3500:1 contrast ratio I wasn't bothered about paying a bit more.

But checking their site the 68 is £1131 where as I payed £1370 for the 66 in Sept 06 so assuming they'll honour the cost difference the other way I've been looking at other av kit I'm interested in and this amp has caught my eye at £233.

Looks to have all I want including crossover control and night listening mode :smashin: but I wondered if anyone has got any opinions in case I can get this as part of the swap.

Cheers

dominicwellsuk

Standard Member
£233 is a pretty good price. I paid £299 and I'm very happy with it. I'm a relative newbie to Home Cinema, but it does everything I could want. I mostly watch movies in 5.1 and play the PS3.

I've got Mordaunt Short 903,904 and 905s and the 308 sub and the 5.1 sounds great.

Stereo quality suffers a bit though and it certainly doesn't compare to my old 2 channel amp, but I've been reading up about using this stereo amp for the two front floorstanders, which should improve both 5.1 and stereo sound.

I'd ask your dealer about this as it's still a bit beyond me.

Overall, very pleased with it, buit I don't think it's the most future-proof of AV amps, i.e. no HDMI.

CasDon

Established Member
Thanks for the info.

To be honest the future proofing may not be so much of an issue if the swap is for the 42WLT68 as according to the tosh specs is has 3 HDMI inputs & built in upscaling.

The stereo is not such an issue either as the amp will be hooked up to Kef 2005.2 which aren't renound for their ordinary music capability besides I have a very good stereo attached to Mission 701's.

Main thing about this amp is partially the cost and that it has many features beyond my current amp - in particular the night listening mode seems like it will be very useful as i live in a semi with new neighbours on the way.

Well I'm waiting for customer services to call back about the swap so I'll soon know if I can get this as part of the overal swap

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom