1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha AX750 Preout to Cambridge 640A

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lankor, Jul 17, 2004.

1. lankor

Standard Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi guys,

I have purchased a brand new Yamaha AX750 from Richersound for £379, a beauty!

However, I require advice for the best setup.

My equipment as follows:

Yamaha AX750
    Cambridge Azur 640A Amplifier
    Cambridge Azur 640C CD player
    Cambridge Azur DABs tuner

AE Evo 3B setup.

I will like to use the Cambridge Amplifier for listening to CD players as i feel it produce a better stereo effect.

How can i hook this up most effectively.

I have attached a phono cable from the preout of Yamaha Ax750 Front Left and Front speakers to the Cambridge Azur 640A.

1) I have attached the 2 floodstanding AE evo3 directly to the cambridge Azur 640A via QED silver annivesary spekers wire. (or should i hook it to AX750?)

2) I am not sure which port to plug into the 640A (Should i plug the other end of the phono cable to CD, tuner, AUX, preout, etc of the 640A)

3) Should I plug the Cambridge Audio 640C Cd player directly into the yamaha AX750 or should i plug it to the Cambridge 640A amplifier.

4) Should i plug teh camcbridge DABs to the yamaha AX750 or to the Cambridge 640A

any tips will be greatly appreciated
  2. MarkE19

Aug 10, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Rainham Essex
    Ok here is what I think should be done:

AV preouts for front L&R to any spare input on HiFi amp with phono leads
    Connect front L&R speakers to HiFi amp.
    Connect CD & Tuner to HiFi amp.

For stereo music leave the AV switched off and just use the HiFi amp.
    For DVD's etc both amps on and the HiFi amp set to the input the AV is plugged to. Set the volume on HiFi amp to say 12o'clock and then balance all the speakers (preferably with an SPL meter) with the AV internal test tones or a setup disk such as Avia or DVE. Remember to turn the volume down before listening to a CD etc.

Until recently I was useing a very similar setup to the above. The only thing that made life easier for me was that the HiFi amp was an Arcam that had a processor mode (not sure if yours does or not) to bypass the Arcams volume control on the DVD input so I only had the 1 volume to worry about setting. This method should give you the best of both worlds for music & AV.