1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yamaha ax2

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by j.fitz, Nov 1, 2000.

Tags:
  1. j.fitz

j.fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi has anyone heard it yet and if so is it worth upgrading to[i have an a2 already].regards jimmy.

2. steve tyler

steve tyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If its anything like the ax1 youv`e got to get one.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have an A1 and don't see a (good) reason to upgrade to AX1.
    Can't fit in any rear center anyhow and else I don't think it would be a worthy upgrade.
    So I guess the same would apply to the comparision between A2 and AX2, unless you 'insist' on getting Ex/Es that is ....

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I also have an A2, and would need to be doubly, seriously, deliriously impressed with the AX2 to change.
    I believe the A2 is more than good enough to withstand a couple of revamps before it is 'outdated' as such.
    The rear centre speaker (after all that's what it comes down to) would be nice, but in the real world, is it the next great thing?
    Wait a generation or two of amps, we'll all be upgrading to 10.1 Digital or whatever. So save your cash, spend it on discs, and wait for a worthy upgrade. Your amp now will see off any new revisions for a few years yet.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

5. Kevin

Kevin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw this amp at the Live 2000 show and was very impressed. If my memory serves me right the chap said that it would retail at approx £800. And that for an amp with EX and all built in amplification...Bargain!

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    £800 is excellent if you were buying it for the first time. However, I really do believe the A2 alone is so good it has a longevity built in.
    Buy more discs, enjoy what you've got.
    Upgrade in a year or five....... you'll get a better return for your money.
    But, if you must, enjoy your new amp.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

7. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    The dspa2 is a fantastic amp-and believed by many to sound better than the a1....in listening tests before i bought(...and i listened to everything...)...i preferred it to the denon avc1...so thats as good a recommendation as i can give....but bear in mind ,that theres a lot of b...s..t in this home cinema game-its now getting like the hi-fi world-where maniacs pays thousands more for a sound difference that a bat would be glad to hear..its interesting also that if the dspa2 was made by tag mcclaren-it would probably cost 4 grand!!!!

8. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There doesn't seem to be much information about on the AX2 - nothing on Yamaha's web sites. However, it's probably fair to assume that it is to the AX1 what the A2 is to the A1. So, it will probably have the usual Pro Logic, DD and DTS capabilities and will also decode DD EX and DTS ES matrix information. BUT, I assume, that like the AX1 it will not deal with DTS ES discrete.

Is that a problem or not? Well, it's early days and it all depends whether many DVDs with 6.1 discrete soundtracks will appear - I mean it's not as if there are loads of DVDs with matrixed 6.1 soundtracks.

It's all a bit confusing at this stage - take Denon for instance - they start off with the (£1300) AV10SE - THX Surround EX plus DTS ES but not DTS ES Discrete (but a separate power amp required for the extra 2 channels). Then the AV1SE comes out (£2500) - does everything the AV10SE does plus DTS ES discrete and ALL seven power amps on board. All seems well and then they bring out this new (£800 or less) AVR3801 which, although not THX, does everything the AV10SE does plus DTS ES discrete and ALL seven (slightly less powerful) amps on board.

I really think it's a bit of a minefield at the moment and it would be best for you to sit tight with your A2 and see how things develop - the last thing you want to do is upgrade to a DSPAX2, get a rear centre speaker and then find out that only half a dozen DVDs ever have EX/EX soundtracks because the extra rear channels idea never really takes off.

One final note on the Denon AVR3801 - it sounds like an absolute bargain and everyone seems to be interested in it - so why is there no mention of it whatsoever in the latest versions of HCC, What TV & Vid, What HiFi and Home Entertainment magazines?

------------------
    This is a local shop for local people - there's nothing for you here!

9. Timoth

Timoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been to http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk and they have just added details about three new machines including the AX2, there is only a small blurb, and a pic of the front and rear.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  11. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Apparently the the dspax2 will retail for 1300 pounds...
    I seriously doubt(the dspa2 was 800 pounds)if this extra rear center channel and only a handful of dvd`s that feature it is worth the premium.....i would say hold fire for the moment..