1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha AX1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by buns, Apr 1, 2002.

Tags:
  1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry if im being annoying with a many times asked question!

Yamaha AX and 2 are now obviously old stuff......but i noticed the 1 at 750 and 2 at 600 (factory refurbs with full warranty). Would that be considered as value? I know alot of people are very keen on the denon, but is it actually capable of out performing the AX1 sonically (ignoring all the bells and things)???

ad

2. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have spent the last two weeks trying to answer that question.Yamaha AX1/AX2 or Denon3802. The prices on the yamaha amps are very good at the moment and very temping. I find it difficult to not see a £2,000 amp reduced to £800 as a bargin even if it is two years old. I already use Yamaha A1/A2 amps which I find excellent. I decided on the Denon 3802 in the end, due to an excellent price. It's decoding of EX material seems to be somewhat sharper and it includes DTS discrete which I feel may have a significant future. The Yamaha and Denon have about the same real power ratings. Maybe the Yamaha's are better at bass control, but since I send far to much time building subs I am not to worried about this. After much deliberation and listening the Denon won for me. The question I kept asking was ,can a Two year old amp compete with a modern unit using newer decoding technology?
    Mark

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So how much did you end up paying for the 3802? does it by chance have an RF demodulator!?

ad

4. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The best price I found was £640 but there was p&p on top plus I was not to sure of the supplier. I went for digital direct in the end £650 inclusive of p&p. I have got things from them and Sound and Vision in the past and the service is very good. The best price on the Yamaha AX1 was £800. There are some deals cheaper but they are ex-demo models. I already have a Kenwood RF demodulator that I use with my Pioneer laser disk player so built in was not really a problem.I am not to sure if the Denon has this function built in or not, but I am not to worried about that.
    Mark

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Buns, the Denon don't go in for RF Demodulators on the 3802. As you prob already know, Yamaha do.:)

6. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Whats the URL for Digital Direct and Sound and Vision

Ta

7. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    petrolhead. Sorry for the late reply. No URL.
    Digital direct: 01204 414101
    Sound and vision: 01204 861861