Question Yamaha AX1 replacement - options

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BestGear, Feb 4, 2018.

Tags:

1. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51
      Guys

I have been looking to replace my Yam AX1 amp, (which is still as good as the day purchased!) due to no HDMI.

I am not particularly looking for any other features, use is 50/50 mixed audio and video. and I do use all 6 channels plus the two front "effects" channels currently, with two subs.

I started looking at new models, and was a bit disillusioned that they seem to lack audio inputs, and indeed, many amps only have a handful of inputs!

I still use my tuner, CD, minidisc, laserdisc, two sat receivers, vcr, bluray, xbox and htpc. These use a mix of composite, svideo and component.

I see that very few amps have svideo, which for these devices will have to be demoted to composite.

Question is - what do I do looking for as a replacement?

I am now looking at used amps, so that they are almost a hybrid of the old and "new" - so that there are still enough audio inputs for the above devices.

Seems like with the advent of HDMI, everyone has gone their own ways of audio only or AV! I did consider two amps but that would be a pain - possible, but hassle. I was thinking about switching the main speakers between the two amps.

Anyone have any ideas for a used amp that is of the caliber of the AX1, with enough inputs?

Lastly, I read around that some devices have a much higher failure rate and when they do, they almost always are write offs... which is a great shame and a load of cash down the drain.

Thanks in advance

David

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    2. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      Getting a modern amp with that many analogue/s video inputs maybe a struggle as the amount of phono inputs reduced as hdmi became more common.

My Denon 2809 has 4 HDMI ins along with 6 phono/svideo inputs but this was released in 08/09 and that was the transition period of amps having more HDMIS .

Not sure how much they go secondhand but the Yamaha z11 has 4 hdmi inputs and 2.outs along with around 9 phono /svideo inputs.

My new Yamaha 1070 has no s video inputs at all and a limited number of phono inputs.

3. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,658
      I had a look at the back of your amp on google images, it looks like it has 6ch analogue inputs.

So, you could, keep your speakers connected to that amp, and use a modern AVR in front of it as a processor, that has 6 channel pre-outs.

4. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      A quick check shows the z11 as a beast of an amp at 34 kg and seems to sell for a handsome sum even today!

When i get round to it I'm selling my Denon 2809, if your interested keep an eye on the classifieds.

5. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      You sure ? I may be mistaken but looks more like around 12 analogue inputs along with 7 svideo s?

6. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,658
      No, not sure, but looks like it from this image:

yamaha ax1 - Google Search:

Just above zone 2 out, it seems to say 6ch input.

EDIT: In the middle there seems to be some pre out / main in connections as well. Probably a RTFM situation.

7. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      I see where you are looking mate, but I think that 6ch input is labeled as such for use with a DVD player with 5.1 analogue outputs.

8. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,658
      That doesn't matter though, multi channel analogue inputs, are just multi channel analogue inputs, you can use them for what you want. No difference if you input a DVD player, or an AVR / processor.

9. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      Indeed it doesn't matter, im just trying to ascertain how many analogue inputs the chap has to look for something comparable.
      Those 6.1 ch inputs may also be assignable and shared.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    10. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,658
      I think the point is that there isn't a comparable replacement that will include HDMI inputs and still retain the legacy inputs that he wants. That is why I suggested that he use both. A new HDMI AVR or processor, and pass that audio through to his existing AVR, where he can still retain the legacy connections.

11. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      Probably the best option then.

12. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      If you bought a new HDMI amp with around 6 analogue inputs that would mean no s video however you could add this device to cover the rest of your phono inputs plus cover your s video duties also.
      The new amp would have component so that would also be covered.
      http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/p...MnANfD8tUmwTcXIUzG-IHeGh9Lyj4F4BoCbZYQAvD_BwE

This option would save space as from what I read another amp would be a real hassle to you.I haven't looked deep into the switch options but a remote version may be available also.

13. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      Regarding the "high failure rate" , there's probably good reason to believe things aren't built like they used to be , but that's just the way things are these days , I seem to keep reading the denon and marantz models do have more failures these days than other makes, but if you did buy a new amp, shops such as richersounds provide a superb 6 year warranty to cover you.

Regarding reliability in my own experience I've had 2 Yamaha's, 2 marantz and 2 denons, out of those 6 amps, it was a marantz and a denon that had serious faults within 18 months, but my latest denon, the 2809 has been perfect for many years.

14. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51

Thanks for the reply - I take it the HDMI inputs cannot be separated from their analogue counterparts?

As you spotted, the Z11 does fetch a high price... I would love one, but can you imagine scrapping it when you find that no one can fix it?!?!?

David

15. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51

Sadly, nothing is assignable in "modern terms"!

The inputs, not that I have used these ones, are all just inputs for a processor straight to the amps.

To give you a laugh, I also moved the front panel input to new (ie additionally fitted) phonos on the rear to give me another usable input! (who wants cables hanging out the front!).

16. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51

Good idea! - I think I have a six input phono based AV switch someone were in the loft... and its remote too ISTR.....

17. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51

Touching wood, the AX1 has only had its supercap replaced a few months ago as it was loosing its setup if not used for a few days... cheap servicing that is over a heap of years!

18. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,184
      The Yamaha RX-A3030 (2013ish) is the most recent that still has S-Video inputs and also component and 8 HDMI inputs. The Z11 is from (2008 ish) so a fair bit older.

The 3030 supports up to HDMI 1.4 so will be ok so long as you don't want 4K etc.

I have had an AX1 for a bit had a DSP-A1 prior to that. I also fixed the AX1 super cap with my trusty soldering iron :)

If you are happy with the AX1 then why not get a HDMI switch with optical out? That way you can still use it?

19. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      Lots of options, none ideal though, but I love the fact you still have some of the older tech in use!
      Laserdisc was a great format and so collectable.

20. Matthewmk

Matthewmk
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      In case it helps, I just migrated from a Yamaha DSP-A1 to a Yamaha RX-A3060 along with cycling out some of my previous phono connected equipment for newer HDMI equipment.

Just thinking aloud, but maybe another possibility could be to cycle out (at a lower cost as possible!) some of the other source items perhaps e.g. the satellite receivers, maybe the blu-ray for ones that are HDMI perhaps, could the HTPC be upgraded with a video card with a HDMI output?

Appreciate it may result in a bit of a small expense (presumably you could get some of the components second hand, etc.), but it would allow you to get a new amplifier with a 6 year warranty (depending on retailer) which would then be future proofed for the next 5, 10 maybe even 20 years (that said it often feels like HDMI has been iterating with new features from every 2 - 3 years!).

In terms of recommendations, with 20 years use under it's belt for the Yamaha A1 (and it sounds similar for your Yamaha AX1, if you've been happy with it, I'd recommend another Yamaha (model according to your budget), as from my own experience the RX-3060 (I managed to get it for £1350) has been brilliant!

21. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51

I have an A1 in the livingroom, and its cap has been fine... the AX1 is in the cinema...strange that the A1 even being older is still ok and no signs of leakage that plagues some.

22. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51

Thanks

The speakers are of similar vintage... B&W 605 fronts, 604 rears (L/R), 604 centre front and 604 centre rear, 603 as front effects speakers... and two, DIY dual 12" driver subs, each with a BK 500W RMS amp built in....not in a hurry to change speakers thankfully... but do wonder what I will do re Atmos if it ever makes an appearance here!

I have a few other pairs of assorted B&W speakers of the same vintage so could rustle something up I guess!

David

23. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      Good old b and w 600 series, I was in the mission camp at that time, in fact I'm still running a 7.1 set up with 4 mission 77DS surrounds!
      I haven't found anything that beats them for the money , they sound incredible with my new Yamaha RXA1070.
      Those subs sound like beasts!

24. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      An older pre-amp that's still 100% up to spec like a CX-A5100 from Yamaha?
      It has an AM+FM tuner built in + vTuner internet radio.
      CD can be connected by digital coax or optical as the DAC's on-board the Yamaha are top notch.
      Minidisc = AV1 (component)
      Laserdisc = AV2 (component)
      Sat receiver = AV3 (component)
      Sat receiver #2 = VCR with the sat receiver running into that.
      Blu-ray = HDMI 1
      XBox = HDMI 2
      HTPC = HDMI 3

I'm assuming your HTPC/XBox/Blu-ray offer HDMI connectivity.

Of course, so may the satellite receivers. Even if they don't they tend to be cheap as chips these days and come complete with HDMI output.

Then you just need to sort out a power amp and you're sorted... especially as the Yamaha will up-convert composite and component to HDMI where applicable (the correct resolution input is required for this as per the CX-A5100 manual).

25. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,184
      Erm the CX-A5100 is still a current model it's not old.

Also you can't plug the mini disc nor the laser disc into component. The first one does not make sense is an audio only format.

Laser disc are composite encoded so only provide composite and s-video

26. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      I didn't say it wasn't a current model? I just said it was older (2015). Forums are saying that it will be replaced this year but like many products, the analogue connectivity isn't exactly going to increase - so waiting for a new pre-amp would seem silly to me.
      Correct about the mini-disc (late night)! I wasn't aware of the laser disc issue.

Corrected connectivity potential is below...

AM+FM tuner built in + vTuner internet radio.
      CD can be connected by digital coax or optical as the DAC's on-board the Yamaha are top notch.
      Minidisc = Audio 2 (RCA / optical) or Audio 3 (RCA / digital coax)
      Laserdisc = AV1 (composite / coax)
      Sat receiver = AV2 (component / coax) - assuming sat receiver 1 also loops to the VCR for recording?
      VCR #2 = AV3 (component / optical) with the sat receiver running into that.
      Blu-ray = HDMI 4 (AV4)
      XBox = HDMI 5 (AV5)
      HTPC = HDMI 6 (AV6)

27. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,184
      I nearly suggested the same pre amp mild but a couple of the things the op asked for are missing out on the s-video from the vcr and laser disc and some of the games consoles.

As you say you still need power amp and the matching combo then brings you up to 5k retail :)

28. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      Without knowing the exact kit / connectivity involved it's impossible to come up with a solution. The OP's amp originally wasn't cheap, so my assumption that budget wasn't the issue. Replacing Blu-ray players / STB's is simple and cheap enough to make it potentially save money and STILL play the kit that the OP has. Or, it may be time to walk away from the VCR and get a multi-tuner PVR instead of multiple STB's... if TV isn't being distributed into different rooms...

29. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,184
      He mentions it on the first page, ok not the exact specs but it's the older stuff that you can't replace. If he wants to continue to use it then that's the solution needs to cater for.

I agree you can replace blu ray and some set-top boxes etc. The vcr however might be needed for some perfectly good reason though.

The ax1 was around the 2k mark new not the 5k of the pre /power combo. Also he mentions used.

I personally would love to get the updated processor when it comes out but it won't do what he needs without some compromise

30. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      I guess it is an RXA3030... if the OP is looking to take his chances with second hand he should be pretty happy.

BUT this will be dependant on the reason for the move. Noting that the reason to change is HDMI is cool... but if the OP is looking to change to a panel or projector that handles HDR / Dolby Vision, then an old amp is going to be more of a hassle / cabling drama. So yeah, more info is required again.