Yamaha AX1 LH Front channel dead

delta

Ex Member
Reaction score
The left front channel on my Yamaha AX1 has gone dead although I can hear a very feint sound from the left speaker and the right hand one is fine. I have swapped speakers and they are okay. The same problem is on both speaker A or B output. Cables seem to be okay. Any suggestions please?

Hi.

When I had an AX1 a couple of years ago, exactly the same thing happened to mine on exactly the same channel.

It had to go off to Yamaha for repair.

Hope its not gone too long !

Regards

I fixed it! I did a search on the forum for AX1 and found others who had experienced this problem, it seems it is a known fault and is caused when the amplifier wrongly 'thinks' a pre-amp has been attached to it and shuts down its own amplification to the left channel! This can be caused by a spike in the supply or some other disturbance. The cure is to insert a phono plug into the appropriate pre-amp jack which then switches the pre-amp off and the main amp back on! Amazing! But it worked! Thank you anyway, we are not alone.

had a similar problem with the right hand channel on my 3090
thought it was the speakers all i did was unplugged it for a wile and the sound returned only happend the once weird eh?:confused:

Yep, common problem with the auto-sensing circutry of the AX1. Solution is to bridge the MAIN IN and OUT with a short RCA to RCA lead.
I have heard that Yamaha has provided those bridges for free to customers in Germany (those who complained loud enough ... ;) ).

It happened again last night so I used the phono plug method again but left it in the socket for a few seconds longer than the first time and it fixed it again. However now I have read Reiner's tip I have done as he suggested and made a bridge. The amp is still under guarantee but the thought of the hassle of taking it back and then waiting for it to be fixed puts me off, especially as Christmas is coming. Last time I had an amp problem it was away for six weeks and I had to make do with a pro-logic loaner. How's a man supposed to cope with that? ;) Anyway, fingers crossed this time, I hope it'll be okay now.

The autosensing circuit seems to be too sensitive, perhaps humidity or mold is triggering the shut-down.
But if the bridge solves the problem I wouldn't bother sending it for repair, too much hassle. Instead write to Yamaha and ask them to mail you the bridges for free!

It is a very dry atmosphere where the amp is located. The phono bridge I inserted yesterday has worked so far. However I will write to Yamaha as you suggest. Thanks again. I'll be back if I have any further developments.

delta

i want to thank you for solving my problem and saving me time. i also had the front left channel go on my ax1 and thought it was terminal, i came on hear to see if there was a fix by some chance and i see your post straight away i thought it was spooky because it was the same day that you put your message up that it happened to me.

i have been meaning to post this for a few days and to ask how you got on with yamaha and the bridges ( if you have been in contact with them ) as i will have to get one aswell

orangemirrors, ? that's original!

I'm pleased you found my experience to be useful, I felt just as you did when it first happened. I phoned Yamaha last Monday and spoke to their service manager, David Hunt, who made it clear they are aware of the problem. He advised me to use the links, which I received Wednesday, and they have solved the problem. But he did say that long term it is worth taking the amp to a Yamaha dealer and having the pre-amp phono inputs replaced free of charge. The older ones have a switch that is prone to sticking and they have more robust switches in the replacement sockets. You can do a fixit yourself by inserting phono plugs into the left pre-amp in and out sockets, but the links look better. If you are like me then you will be looking to chnage your amp in the not too distant future!

Good luck anyway!

delta

Your dead right the top and bottom of it is i will be looking to change the amp soon, but i am glad that it has not been forced on me especially this side of christmas.

The strange thing is i hated the damn thing when i thought it was dead and i had to do without it, then when i solved the problem (thanks to you and your searching) i fell in love with it again.

Thanks again for your help even though in the most part it was bad luck on both our parts.

I live near Manchester Airport and if you saw me out and about you would know it was me and realise why its orangemirrors.

chin chin

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom