1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha AX1 and THX speakers.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ilkand, Oct 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just bought (I hope) a Yamaha AX1 and some KEF THX speakers. Since the small setting on the Yamaha is 90hz, will I lose sound quality using these two together. Or is there a good way to set them up? Should I have gone for an AS10SE instead?

Thanks
    Andrew

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    They'll be fine. You won't lose sound quality, it just means the crossover frequency is 10hz higher than it would be with the Denon (80hz).

3. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cool, I just wondered (since thx set 80hz), if this was the very best setting and everything else was somehow not as good.

Will I lose any other functions with a non-thx amp? I read once that the avc10se does something to the rear centre to make it very slightly different. Is this useful?

Thanks
    Andrew

4. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What about if I added the audigy thx soundcard to my htpc and used the yamaha amps instead? Would this be a good idea?

Thanks
    Andrew

5. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    Best asking that question in the HCPC section....

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    THX amps and speakers are designed to work together but you don't have to match a THX amp with THX speakers, each will work with non-THX certified equipment.

You'll lose THX Post Processing (for info see www.thx.com ) but whether you like this or not is down to personal taste, some like it, some don't.

The Denon A10SE has THX Surround EX processing but only five channels of amplification so you would need the extra two channel power amp (POA T10). The Yamaha has it's own form of matrix processing to extract info for the rear centre speaker. Both achieve the same results at the end of the day i.e sound coming from behind you. :)