1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha AX-396 worth £150

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by agw_01, Dec 4, 2002.

Tags:
  1. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, im getting rid of my Sony amp as I want something with a bit more power.

Im also thinking of getting some Mission M73s, as I have been extremely pleased with my 700s I want to stick with Mission.

As for the amp, I have seen the Yamaha AX-396 for £150 in my local currys store.

They used to have it in RicherSounds for £110, but don't stock it anymore.

£150 is cutting it quite close to my budget at the moment, as I also want some speakers (M73s are £93 at RS at the moment) so I want to know that I will be getting something good for the money.

I know that Yamaha are a decent brand, and it will knock the socks off my mates Panasonic/Philips component systems :D but I was just wondering if there is anything better for the money. I would like to try and stick to brand new stuff.

Thanks in advance

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Good choice of new amp and speakers which should gel nicely together. If you consider that the Sony (bright side of neutral)and 700's (warm side, I know I have a set, v.nice) work well together, then the new Missions (brighter speakers, I have these too :) and Yamaha (warmer sounding, my mate has one and drives his Tannoy MX3's to high levels easily) will work well together too - hope that is clear:rolleyes: The Yamaha might be available cheaper online too.

Alternatively give the new Sony TAFE570 a listen too. Supposed to be good, they say.

3. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can't believe RS are doing the m73 for £93! That is a great, great price. :)

MuFu.

4. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobber22, I agree totally with the Sony/Mission comparison. I have been very pleased with this set-up for the past year. I went down to Currys in my lunch hour just to check that it was the 396 and it is. Its a bloody lovely amp and I like that push down panel :) and yes, that did make sense :)

p.s. Yey, im getting a yamaha amp! lol

MuFu, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't know about that. Thanks a lot mate :)

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You should consider something like a secondhand Marantz SR4200 for about that kind of money. There's one on sale in these forums right now for £100. If you are going to use it mainly for music I'm sure that is a better option than getting the Yamaha, new.

MuFu.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reackon the 396 stereo amp is a lot better for music than the marantz 5.1 reciever:D

7. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh crap, that's a receiver? Damn, I didn't even check the link as agw_01 and I had been talking on MSN about receivers all day. Then yes, I agree the Yamaha will be better... not that Marantz receivers have bad stereo output of course. Don't buy without a demo, either way. :)

Andrew, I thought you said you were going the receiver route? Make up your mind man! :D

MuFu.

8. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol MuFu!!! :D

I was a going to get a reciever, but then I saw the Yamaha amp in an old richersounds catalogue and thought... thats the one for me :D

They don't stock it anymore and Currys is the last place I know locally that have it. Should be picking it up in a few days or weeks... damn... need money :)