1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha AX-1 or the Deno 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nobby, Feb 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    :rolleyes:
    rite you lot out there, i got me hands on a brand new yamaha ax-1 (1/2 price) outta my local richer sounds store. Took it home and got it set up for a 14 day trial (as i want to consider the cheaper Denon 3802)

After 2 hours of hard graft in setting it up i turned it on, everything appeared to be working when i done the test feature. so i took hold of my region 1 gladiator dvd with DTS ES and put into my pioneer 717. went to the scene index and seleted chpt 3 ... WOW... AWSOME! The punch out of the speakers and the clarity of sound was light years ahead of my previous amp (yam a595a) got out of my speaker set up which is looking at getting upgraded (new fronts to begin with in the very near future).

Now can anyone please tell me if i will notice further enhancement on sound quality from the Denon 3802 compared to this monster. this thing was originally priced @ 2k, is it possible that a 800 quid (rrp) amp is gonna compete with it??? Is PLII really that essential if you don't turn on yer amp to watch sky/video?

Please tell me i'm wrong so that i can leave it back and wait abit longer for the 3802 (if it ever appears!) and save meself a few bob and perhaps get a set of front floorstanders sooner than expected.

Someone please answer my question?

By the way could someone recommend a good floorstander for fronts. i'm willin to spend in the region of 600 and i am currently think of LINN and the MISSION 782's. Any suggesstions would be greatly aprreciated. Obviously suited to the ax-1 or 3802

Cheers

Andrew

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    You really need to demo the two side by side (or back to back!)

The AX1 does not have DTS-ES Discrete, what you heard was the matrix version, so wait till you hear Gladiator on the 3802!, BUT there are not a lot of other dvds in DTS-Discrete (about 5 major releases and some B list stuff).

PL2, I would say IS important as can be used for all 2 channel stereo sources, Music etc.

As I said, you need to demo the two and choose what you think sounds best.

For speakers consider Kefs, Missions, B&W, again you need to demo them.

cheers

3. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would expect the AX1 to be miles better than the 3802 (I have a 3802). If you think you can live without PLII, DTS-ES etc then the AX1 should be a great buy at £1000. Remember this was a competitor to the higher end Denon stuff.

I considered this also, but as I don't use the amp for music I went for the extra decoding options on the 3802.

If you are using the amp for music replay also then go for the AX1, it has far better current delivery capacity.

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Greeny is absolutely correct. The AX1 is a far superior amp to the Denon. The Yamaha is much more powerful (in real life, rather than on paper) and isn't any worse in stereo - just different. Ignore the hype surrounding Denons 38xx amps and pro-logic 2 and go for the Yamaha. Of course, if you can find a Denon A10SE for £1000 or less, then that’s different. I demoed the Yamaha AX1 and the Denon A10SE and the Denon was better, especially in stereo.

As for speakers, the new Kef Q series sounds (as well as looks) very good, as do the new B&W 600 series. Take care to match the centre and fronts, as this will aid transitions across the front soundstage.

Hope this helps - Russell

5. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a AX2 and I love it!:D so your AX1 is the choice for me.

try a pair of B&W 603's on demo, I did, and thats what i've got now!;)

my advice to you is demo everything you like the look of and buy what makes you smile!

Enjoy!

Taz.:cool:

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after buying an ax1 last year all I can say is for a thousand pounds it must be considered an absolute bargain against a denon 3802 I know it doesn't have pro logic2 but it gives a very similar effect in its enhanced prologic mode (something that yamaha have offered for years!)
    it has greater flexibility more digital inputs and an rf input for us 'luddite' laserdisc owners it suits my kef referance speakers perfectly and has a better remote and my other half prefers
    its looks

regards rob23

7. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    You could also look at the new range of Yamaha amps coming out

They have ProLogic II. The RXV1200RDS is out now. Look at www.yamaha.co.uk

8. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    thanx to all of you for your advice, i'm still not sure what to do ... money is a big issue.

if i buy the 3802 i can get speakers much quicker, but i do like the ax-1 so far, but then i have not heard the 3802

i do like the ax-1 alot compared to me old a595a which sounds pathetic compared to it

i need to satisfy myself and get to hear the 3802 but here in Northern Ireland no one can get their hands on it!!

so i may just bit the bullet

what price are the B&W 6 series?

any good prices

cheers

9. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I own an AX-1. I think that it is totally awesome. The AZ-1 comes out soon with everything that the top Denon has. Discrete ES, DTS NEO 6 , DPL2 etc.... 2 grand though.
    Cheers, Neil
    :cool: :cool: :cool: