Yamaha AVR and ARC woes

Geoggy

I’m struggling badly with ARC with my LG Oled and my Yamaha AVR.

If I have HDMI control switched on in the AVR settings it’s defaults every input to ARC.

If I turn it off, I get no sound from devices using ARC.

Anyone solved this?

I have a Harmomy remote so I’ve tried to send activities as a work around but with no luck.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The AV receiver will unfortunately automatically switch to the ARC source when powering it and or the TV up out of standby. This is not a fault with either the TV or the AVR and is due to ARC's dependance upon HDMI CEC. The TV detects the AV receiver and sends a HDMI CEC command to it that results in the AV receiver setting itself to the ARC audio source.

You cannot circumvent this behavious, not without disabling HDMI CEC and in turn ARC, not unless you've an eARC enabled Yamaha AVR and TV? You failed to mention the TV ands AVT models you have.

There is a workaround, but that requires the ownership and use of one of Logitech's Harmony remotes, which you say you have.

snapshot001.jpg

The SCENE command is required because there's no option to set an individual source as part of a Harmony activity. You'd need to assign a source and the desired startup configurations to the associaiated Yamaha SCENE that you intend including in the Hatmony activity. You may also need to adjust the delay before the SCENE command is issued in order to get the timing correct.

I'm basically still using this method with my current Yamaha RXA1080 and LG C9:

by default 2022-01-07 at 17.08.45.png

and it works.

Note that even if you are not able to program the Harmony correctly then all you need do is select your source on the AV receiver after everythiong is powered up. THis would then switch you from the ARC source to whatever source you selected.

Last edited:

Geoggy

Thank you - very helpful.

Edit - I think I’ve worked out how to assign the scenes to the inputs.

So have now got the activities set up as you suggest.

Works great - then about 4 seconds later it switches back to Arc.

Last edited:

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
@dante01 why not just issue the scene command?

On mine if off the scene command will switch the Yamaha on, this has worked for the various ones that have supported it over the years.

Geoggy

On mine if off the scene command will switch the Yamaha on, this has worked for the various ones that have supported it over the years.
Because that only turns the amp and tv on - it won’t then turn on Sky Q for example?

dante01

Distinguished Member

Because I want the activity to also switch on the TV and my TiVo.

Thank you - very helpful.

I’m having problems with the work around. Scene1 isn’t an available command in my Harmony app - I have Scene TV, SceneRadio, SceneNet and SceneBd/DVD ?
Simply select whichever SCene you'd like the receiver to start up in. You'd press the associated button on the remote to prdinarilly select a scene on your receiver:

by default 2022-01-07 at 18.03.54.png

Each of these SCENES can be invoked by the Harmony remote.

You can learn how to configure the scene functions to something other than there defaults be reading page 103 in the receiver's manual:

You can also quick;y save the esy the AV receiver is currently configured (including the selected source) to any of the scene buttons by holder whichever of the buttons you like to be configured until the AV receiver's display indicated that the configuration has been saved.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Because I want the activity to also switch on the TV and my TiVo.

Yes sorry meant you have 3 steps for the Yamaha with a scene at the end, but the scene will switch on and set to HDMI 2 (assuming that last bit is saved in the scene) so you wouldn't need the 3 second delay?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Because that only turns the amp and tv on - it won’t then turn on Sky Q for example?

As you have a Harmony you could disable CEC for example if you could use eARC that way the Harmony can do the switching. @dante01 presume you have CEC disabled based on the Harmony command flow?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes sorry meant you have 3 steps for the Yamaha with a scene at the end, but the scene will switch on and set to HDMI 2 (assuming that last bit is saved in the scene) so you wouldn't need the 3 second delay?

I guess it just arose that way after having to add the SCENE post having that activity configuration in order to negate the ARC source switching.

No HDMI CEC is still engaged. You cannot use ARC or eARCwith a Yamaha AVR without leaving it turned on onboard the AV receiver. I also leave it engaged on the TV because I like the TV automatically instructing the AV receiver to set iyself to the ARC setting when I launch an app onboard that TV.

I could set SimppLink to Off onboard the TV and still use eARC, but I'd then lose the source auto switching functionality associated with JDMI CEC.

If I had HDMI CEC disabled, I'd not need the additional SCENE command within the activity, but I'd also lose the auto source switching completely.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Fair enough, I disable CEC on mine as I don't like the interference it brings :D

I agree and only enable it on my TV and the AV receiver for the reason I outlined. It is disabled onboard all other devices.

As said, you'd have no option other than to leave it engaged onboard the AV receiver anyway. Yamaha receivers require HDMI Control be engaged even if using eARC despite eARC not requiring it. Besides which, the OP's AV receiver isn't eARC enabled anyway.

Last edited:

MacGruber

Novice Member
Hello, I have the following:
  1. Yamaha RX-V575 (7.1 set up)
  2. LG 77" OLED TV (OLED77C1AUB)
  3. Xbox Series X
  4. Firestick 4K
  5. New High Speed HDMI Cables
Having an awful time trying to get ARC to work between the TV and the AVR (forget the Xbox for now). Long story short, when I start everything up and I go to the TVs Netflix App, the sound starts and shows the 'previews' of the shows (basically when you roll over the icon). As soon as I start the show, there is usually no sound. Sometimes the sound will work when the show starts, but as soon as I hit pause, the sound just drops off again. Hitting one of the scene buttons can help fix, or messing around with the setup button on the AVR and turning HDMI Control Off, then back On can sometime fix it as well, but as soon as I interrupt the show (via pause) the sound is gone again. Switching from Netflix when the sound is working, to Disney+ also causes an 'interruption' and its nothing but silence.

As I've read from others in this forum and a number of other website, this is beyond frustrating. Ideally I'd keep things simple and run the Xbox X and Firestick 4K to the TV and run the one HDMI cable down to the AVR for sound....seems as though this is the best solution to make the whole set up user friendly for the family....just can't seem to get it to work. I've messed around with every setting people have suggested to no avail. I've updated the firmware on both the TV and AVR.

From what I'm reading it sounds like I might have 3 options, none of which include this just actually working.

1. Use an optical cable, ultimately sacrifice some sound 'quality'
  2. Use the Harmony Remote solution mentioned above (I do have one, never loved it). Would this option work regardless of whether I'm watching 'in-built TV apps', the Xbox X or the Firestick 4K? Or would I need to set up separate 'instruction sets' for each peripheral.
  3. Get a new AVR that has eARC (any suggestions) - I don't think I need a new top of the line one I'm relying on all the up to date HDMI inputs on the TV anyway (and I'd rather not drop a bunch of extra $).

Anyway in perfect world this would just f*cking work but I'm at a loss.....I thought I would ask to make sure I'm under the correct understanding of my options from here, so I can be put out of my misery on this one and stop going down the 'rabbit hole'.

The TV is new and I do have an extended warranty so I guess I could try and get a technician to come out but I don't know if this is just a big waste of time.

Thanks to all who have posted about this issue up to now and anyone willing to respond to my post...much appreciated!

aalba6675

Novice Member
If the Xbox and Firestick are disconnected from the TV does ARC work for TV apps?

I ask this as when I had an iPad connected to the TV directly it interfered with TV apps ARC sound.

MacGruber

Novice Member
If the Xbox and Firestick are disconnected from the TV does ARC work for TV apps?

I ask this as when I had an iPad connected to the TV directly it interfered with TV apps ARC sound.

The problem still remains, even when these devices aren't connected. Beyond frustrating...everytime you pause a show or switch apps you have to cycle the input to get the sound to 'catch' again...

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Sorry I saw your reply and then got distracted. I think yours was one of the first to get arc so it wouldn’t surprise of it was just an implementation issue. Have you ensured you have the latest firmware on the receiver?

Otherwise it can be just compatibility issues and you might need a new amp.

Optical isn’t a loss of quality as such but a lack of some formats so it won’t do Dolby digital plus and Atmos. Your amp doesn’t support the latter anyway.

MacGruber

Novice Member
Sorry I saw your reply and then got distracted. I think yours was one of the first to get arc so it wouldn’t surprise of it was just an implementation issue. Have you ensured you have the latest firmware on the receiver?

Otherwise it can be just compatibility issues and you might need a new amp.

Optical isn’t a loss of quality as such but a lack of some formats so it won’t do Dolby digital plus and Atmos. Your amp doesn’t support the latter anyway.

Thanks for getting back to me...sounds like you are right. I do have the latest firmware, unless i could force a higher number using a USB install with firmware meant for a better Yamaha receiver than I have, but I imagine that could end in disaster...

The AMP does show 'Dolby Digital +' when it works sometimes.

I'll try with the optical implementation and see if I can get it to work where I can at least control the volume with the LG TV remote (I may need a better optical cable). Otherwise a new AMP it is.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
The optical cable only provides sound output not any sort of control like ARC does (you have to have CEC enabled for ARC and that only works over HDMI and that allows the control of the amp volume from your TV remote)

If it is working with optical then no need for a new cable, it won't improve the sound quality.

MacGruber

Novice Member
The optical cable only provides sound output not any sort of control like ARC does (you have to have CEC enabled for ARC and that only works over HDMI and that allows the control of the amp volume from your TV remote)

If it is working with optical then no need for a new cable, it won't improve the sound quality.

I was under the impression some optical cables (or maybe it’s an LG TV feature) can pass on a volume control command to the AVR.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I was under the impression some optical cables (or maybe it’s an LG TV feature) can pass on a volume control command to the AVR.

My father in laws LG TV and LG sound bar do connect via optical and it can control the volume via the TV remote. However this is a specific implementation and only works with an lg sound bar and any optical cable works (I know I fitted it :) ). Not sure if it uses the actual cable or a proprietary wireless signal but it won’t work with the Yamaha.

MacGruber

Novice Member
My father in laws LG TV and LG sound bar do connect via optical and it can control the volume via the TV remote. However this is a specific implementation and only works with an lg sound bar and any optical cable works (I know I fitted it :) ). Not sure if it uses the actual cable or a proprietary wireless signal but it won’t work with the Yamaha.

Ok great...thanks @ChuckMountain

Ordered the

Sony STRDH790​

Geoggy

I’ve finally solved my issue.

I bought a HDMI 2.1 splitter to free up a port on the TV, so now my Sky box goes straight to TV with audio via ARC, instead of fighting against it selecting ARC I’ve embraced it.

Still does it on the other amp inputs but they are used much less frequently

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp