Question Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1050 vs ARCAM AVR 280

Jram

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys

Which one should I go between these two, please?

Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1050 or ARCAM AVR 280
Which of these has a better sound quality?
Mainly I listen to music, (may be in 2.1)

Thanks
Jay

Hi Jay,

For 2 channel listening, you would be better off buying a stereo integrated amp or receiver. The two AVR's that you are looking at are multi channel amps, and would not be recommended for getting maximum sound quality for listening to music in 2.0 or 2.1.

Hi Jay,

For 2 channel listening, you would be better off buying a stereo integrated amp or receiver. The two AVR's that you are looking at are multi channel amps, and would not be recommended for getting maximum sound quality for listening to music in 2.0 or 2.1.

Many thanks mate.
How about 'Cambridge Topaz SR10' compared to these for such usage?
If am getting a used 'Cambridge Topaz SR10' or Arcam AVR 280 for the same price, which one should I go for please?

Many thanks mate.
How about 'Cambridge Topaz SR10' compared to these for such usage?
If am getting a used 'Cambridge Topaz SR10' or Arcam AVR 280 for the same price, which one should I go for please?
It would obviously be helpful if you could listen to them both first, preferably in your room with your speakers.

The CA Topaz SR10 is a current model £300 entry level stereo receiver that can output 85 watts into a stereo pair of 8 ohm speakers, it does not have an onboard DAC, and a limited number of inputs.

The Arcam AVR 280 is a discontinued 7 channel AV Receiver, I found a review from 2007, so it could potentially be around 10 years old. It is rated at 100 watts into a stereo pair of 8 ohm speakers, and has onboard DACs, a lot of inputs, including video. It was £1200 when new.

if you could give more info, it would be easier to point you in the right direction.

sources - what will you using it for. I know you said music but is that a CD player, turntable, steaming? do you wish to watch your tv, blue ray or media box through the system, maybe netfix? do you need hdmi inputs?

space - what size is your room? If your main goal is to listen to music I would suggest going 2.0 rather than 2.1 a decent set of speakers would be adequate, rather than adding a sub.

budget - how much are you looking to spend? do you already have speakers?

@dollag Thanks

I have a Denon AVR2300X for my main living room with Dali/BK speakers and that's fine.

But in my Bedroom currently, have an old Technic SA GX350 mainly for listening to songs. But if I increase the volume above half turn, it stops till I switch it off/on again. Hence looking for an amp/receiver to replace this technic.

Sources: Mostly mp3 from my mobile/tablets connected through 3.5mm Jack

No, it is not a must to watch TV, etc
Bedroom size approx 4m x 4m
I have 2-floor standing speakers (3 way)
I am thinking of around 100£ and can stretch if needed.

On forums, most of them say Arcam, Marantz, Aventage are best for music.

Presuming with that budget you are looking at used. It seems pointless getting an AV receiver if you only want to run stereo audio. AVR's are good for video processing and running multiple surround sound speakers. But because their chassis are so packed with electronics to do that, their musical performance generally suffers.

So, just look for a stereo integrated amp, or stereo receiver (ie has a tuner).

@punctilio yes looking for used one. I have an option of CA Topaz SR10 and Arcam AVR280 both near the same price. Inclined towards Arcam. Hope its sound quality would be better than CA Topaz SR10?

All you really want is a 2channel amplifier.

The way you got to look at it is that with a receiver, you will be paying £100 For video processing and multiple amps.

If you spend £100 on a 2 channel amplifier. Your paying for just that. the manufacturers will use better components and amplifiers as they haven’t got to pack it out with loads of stuff.

Arcam and marantz have some lovely 2 channel amplifiers that fit your requirements.

I saw an arcam fmj a22 on eBay for £175. That’s a great amplifier

I also saw a marantz pm5005 for £165 new.

Both great amps in there relative price points but if you have a £2000 pair of floor standers, then they probably will not do them justice.

Also, whilst your amplifier is very important, certain speakers pair better with certain amps.

@dollag Thanks does that mean FMJ A22 / PM5005 would be certainly better than Arcam AVR280, please?

@punctilio yes looking for used one. I have an option of CA Topaz SR10 and Arcam AVR280 both near the same price. Inclined towards Arcam. Hope its sound quality would be better than CA Topaz SR10?

It's a good question. I wouldn't know which sounds better until I'd listened to them both. Not much help to you I know, but they both have their good and bad points. Plus, it does depend on your room / speakers / source material / preferences.

The Cambridge should be newer and is a more simpler amplifier so could get a purer sound.

The Arcam could be 10 years old and might have had a hard life, but has lots more features and was £1200 new.

@dollag Thanks does that mean FMJ A22 / PM5005 would be certainly better than Arcam AVR280, please?

It's a hard question. most likely yes but there are so many variables, including source material, room acoustics and what speakers your using.

I just stumbled across this on ebay and imo would sound better than the things you have listed for 2ch performance.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom