YAMAHA Aventage - RX - 1050 - 2050 - 3050 - Club

Thanks for the reply.

So your echo dot is in another room and you can ask it to play Motown and it will come through the Yamaha amp with out physically being plugged into it?

Was it easy to do? Any tips?

In the same room, but I think Bluetooth has range to reach another room. From memory you need to use the Alexa app to pair your Alexa device with a Bluetooth device. From then you can instruct Alexa to play to or connect to Bluetooth.

I've downloaded and installed music cast on my phone and registered the app. I've linked it to Alexa too. The amp is called Yamaha and I think I've said it's in the lounge somewhere too.

What's the command you say to Alexa that gets it to play the Amazon music on the Yamaha amp and not the Dot? Thanks.

What are you using for music?
My parents have theirs connected via Bluetooth and all you say is alexa connect to Bluetooth and it does.

Or if you use Spotify connect to room 1

I've only had the echo show a day so still new to it. So far alexa has been playing it's free music and radio stations. I'd just like it to play through the amp and B&W speakers if possible.

I'll look into the Bluetooth side in a bit as the wife's now watching home alone on the TV.

Thanks for your help. I just enabled Bluetooth on the echo show that paired with the amp. I'd already got the musiccast app enabled so Al worked brilliantly. I just say "Alexa play ****** on the Yamaha Bluetooth". The amp mow switches it self on and the music comes through the big speakers for better sound.

I just need to figure out what commands Alexa can do with the amp now.

Go to Yamaha USA's site and look at the list of the commands that the 2 x MusicCast skills can offer.. It's a bit 'wordy', but there's quite a few commands there.

This is what I've found.

MusicCast Smart Home skills
Alexa, turn on the [Room Name].
Alexa, turn off the [Room Name].
Alexa, play in the [Room Name].
Alexa, pause in the [Room Name].
Alexa, resume in the [Room Name].
Alexa, stop the [Room Name].
Alexa, next in the [Room Name].
Alexa, previous in the [Room Name].
Alexa, set volume to [30] in the [RoomName].
Alexa, volume up in the [Room Name].
Alexa, volume down in the [Room Name].
Alexa, mute the [Room Name].
Alexa, unmute the [Room Name].
Alexa, switch input to [HDMI1] in the [Room Name].

Power on/off
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn on the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn off the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn off all rooms.
Play/Pause/Stop
Alexa, ask MusicCast to play in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to pause in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to stop in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to stop all rooms.
Play MusicCast Favorites/Playlists/Recents
Alexa, ask MusicCast to play [Favorite x] in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to play [Playlist x] in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to play Recents in the [Room Name].
Volume control
Alexa, ask MusicCast to set volume to [30] in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to set group volume to [30] in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn up the volume in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn down the volume in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn up the group volume in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn down the group volume in the [Room Name].
Mute/Unmute
Alexa, ask MusicCast to mute the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to unmute the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to mute all rooms.
Next/Previous (Skip/Back)
Alexa, ask MusicCast to skip song in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to play previous song in the [Room Name].
Repeat/Shuffle
Alexa, ask MusicCast to shuffle all songs in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn shuffle off in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to repeat one song in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to repeat all songs in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn off repeat in the [Room Name].
Input Selection
Alexa, ask MusicCast to switch input to [HDMI1] in the [Room Name].
Room Linking/Unlinking
Alexa, ask MusicCast to link the [Room Name] with the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to unlink the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to link the [Room Name] with all rooms.
Alexa, ask MusicCast to unlink all rooms.
Sleep Timer
Alexa, ask MusicCast to set sleep timer for [30, 60, 90, 120] minutes in the [Room Name].
Alexa, ask MusicCast to cancel the sleep timer in the [Room Name].
Now Playing
Alexa, ask MusicCast what's playing in the [Room Name].
Disklavier ENSPIRE Controls
Alexa, ask MusicCast to play the piano.
Alexa, ask MusicCast to stop the piano.
Alexa, ask MusicCast to skip the piano.
Alexa, ask MusicCast to play previous song on the piano.
Alexa, ask MusicCast to play [song name] on the piano.
Alexa, ask MusicCast to play the piano in Acoustic mode.
Alexa, ask MusicCast to play the piano in Quiet mode.
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn up the volume on the piano.
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn down the volume on the piano.
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn on the piano.
Alexa, ask MusicCast to turn off the piano.

Hi, I can’t find much on this. Are the DSP modes Atmos like? Dsp makes use of Atmos speakers to mimic height effects?

Hi, I can’t find much on this. Are the DSP modes Atmos like? Dsp makes use of Atmos speakers to mimic height effects?

Yamaha's proprietary DSP predate Atmos and DTS:X and Yamaha had AV receivers using presences speakers before Dolby came up with Pro Logic IIz or Audyssey devised DSX.

Yes, the presence speakers add additional dimension/presence to the audio.

The DSP Programs can utilise ceiling. upward firing and wall mounted height speakers as presence speakers and any conventional Atmos and/or DTS:X speaker setup will effectively portray the DSP Programs.

The DSP programs still rely upon third part upmixing though and cannot be applied to Atmos or DTS:X on the x50 models or any of the models below the top tier models released in subsequent years.

I personally find Programs such as SCI-FI far more immersive than Dolby Surround or Neural:X upmixing. The Programs also include far more options to customise them than the mainstream upmixing modes do.

Last edited:
I personally find Programs such as SCI-FI far more imersive than Dolby Surrpund or Neural:X upmixing. The Programs also include far more options to ctomise them that the mainstream upmixing modes do.

Thank you Dante, Me too find DSP programs better than upmixing. Not only because are more immersive but also because dialogues sound less tinny. Exactly as dialogues in STRAIGHT mode are. I use Adventure (but any DSP mode are the same once you customize them) with 0 delay, DSP 0 and room size 1. This way it removes the added echoes.

Streaming bit rate not displayed on Yamaha RX-A250

Hi all,

I have a NAS Buffalo LS220DR with my music files on it. I have some albums duplicated in FLAC and also DSD. The DSD may be DSD64 or DSD128 also the FLAC may be 192 KHz, 24-bits or less but I can not tell which one is which as there is no bit rate displayed!!!!!!

Any Ideas

Label your files stored on your NAS accordingly?

Label your files stored on your NAS accordingly?

I have over 4,000 files! Can we split the work load and I will send you half?

I'll write a small AppleScript sub routine that will automate the task and sell it to you :)

Could anyone give me some options on which banana plugs are suitable for the RX-3050 and which size they should be.

Almost any standard banana plug on Amazon will be adequate. I use the Nakamichi, but even the Amazon basics are good quality and have gold plated ends.

Standard 4mm banana plugs would be suitable for use with any Yamaha AV receiver.

I have a RX-A1050 and been having some problems with Dolby Atmos playback from my Apple TV for a long time. The problem is that it sometimes can take up to a couple of minutes (!) before I can hear any audio after I start a movie. The speaker icons don’t show up at all in the display during the audio blackout. My receiver is set to STRAIGHT. I don’t believe I had this issue when I first got the Dolby Atmos update.
Would very much appreciate any insight on what might be the problem.

I have a RX-A1050 and been having some problems with Dolby Atmos playback from my Apple TV for a long time. The problem is that it sometimes can take up to a couple of minutes (!) before I can hear any audio after I start a movie. The speaker icons don’t show up at all in the display during the audio blackout. My receiver is set to STRAIGHT. I don’t believe I had this issue when I first got the Dolby Atmos update.
Would very much appreciate any insight on what might be the problem.

Go into the INFORMATION / AUDIO menu while experiencing this issue. What does it sayi the audio coming into the receiver is? It sounds as though the receiver isn't actually receiving anything from the source. You'd ordinarilly get the DECODER OFF message displayed on the receiver's front panel in such instances though.

Is it just the ATV exhibiting this behaviour? TRy connecting the ATV to a different HDMI input to see if the same behaviour persists relative to a different input. Maybe try changing the HDMI cable between the ATV and the receiver to see if thos makes a difference?

The Apple TV uses Dolby MAT to output Atmos metadata. The ATV cannot bitstream the associated DD+ encoded audio associated with Atmos so uses Dolby MAT to convey the metadata in association with multichannel PCM. The receiver therefore gets the Atmos signal along with said multichannel PCM.

Apple did have issues last year in association with Atmos output from their ATV that were a result of the audio not being correctly flagged. Your issue could potentially be related to this so ensure that the ATV's firmware is fully up to date:

Non-compliant Atmos stream / lack of channel status information

According to Yamaha, PCM/Atmos streams are apparently non-compliant due to the source device (Apply TV) not transmitting channel status information. This is causing total signal failures on multiple devices (known to occur on Yamaha, Pioneer, and Onkyo amplifiers, have replicated on Yamaha RX-V2077 / RX-A1040 / RX-A2040 / RX-A3040). Replication details are below:

Summary:
Atmos streams sent from Netflix by the Apple TV 4K to the Yamaha RX-VX077 / RX-AX040 series of amplifiers fail to be recognised or decoded. When Atmos is set to "on" within the Apple TV settings and an Atmos media source is selected for playback (e.g. Lost in Space on Netflix), the amplifier fails to recognise the signal as a valid Atmos stream. The amplifier is Atmos certified and files and disc-based media played from other devices (e.g. WD-TV via SMB, Blu-ray discs with native content) are successfully recognised and decoded as an Atmos track by the amplifier.

Turning Atmos compatibility off within the Apple TV settings re-enables audio but is only recognised as a PCM track with no Atmos compatibility.

Steps to Reproduce:
Enable Atmos compatibility within the Apple TV 4K settings. Play an Atmos-enabled media source and output the audio to the Yamaha amplifier.

Expected Results:
The resulting audio track should be recognised as an Atmos track by the amplifier and decoded with positional metadata.

Actual Results:
The amplifier fails to recognise the soundtrack and outputs no audio.

Version/Build:
Apple TV 4K (tvOS 12.0.1). Amplifier firmware release 1.98.

By the way, the X50 models shipped with Atmos and it was DTS:X that was added via a firmware update. Your receiver has always had the ability to decode and portray Atmos and this wasn't added via an update.

Last edited:
Go into the INFORMATION / AUDIO menu while experiencing this issue. What does it sayi the audio coming into the receiver is? It sounds as though the receiver isn't actually receiving anything from the source. You'd ordinarilly get the DECODER OFF message displayed on the receiver's front panel in such instances though.

Is it just the ATV exhibiting this behaviour? TRy connecting the ATV to a different HDMI input to see if the same behaviour persists relative to a different input. Maybe try changing the HDMI cable between the ATV and the receiver to see if thos makes a difference?

The Apple TV uses Dolby MAT to output Atmos metadata. The ATV cannot bitstream the associated DD+ encoded audio associated with Atmos so uses Dolby MAT to convey the metadata in association with multichannel PCM. The receiver therefore gets the Atmos signal along with said multichannel PCM.

Apple did have issues last year in association with Atmos output from their ATV that were a result of the audio not being correctly flagged. Your issue could potentially be related to this so ensure that the ATV's firmware is fully up to date:

By the way, the X50 models shipped with Atmos and it was DTS:X that was added via a firmware update. Your receiver has always had the ability to decode and portray Atmos and this wasn't added via an update.

Many thanks for the help! I think I actually found the solution now. I read your comment and decided to have another look through the settings and found the Object Decode Mode setting was set to disable. I decided to google what this feature does and found it had something to do with Atmos. Turn it to Enable and BAM... now it started working after just a few seconds into the movie. Must have turned this off at some point for some clueless reason.

My god this has been irritating me for sooo long! Really hope this was not just a coincidence and it will continue to work from now on :)

The OBJECT DECODER MODE would ordinarilly be set to ON by default. It enables the receiver to process onject orientated formats such as Atmos and DTS:X. Turn it off and the receiver will cease to acknowledge the presence of the metadata that these formats use and you'd no longer be able to portray the associated obkect orientated audio. Turning it off wouldn't however prevent the receiver still detecting the audio the metadata is packaged with so you should still have been getting some audio as opposed to none.

When playing DTS-HD Master Audio films on the DTS Neural:X setting my 3050 amp window continuously flashes from DTS-HD to Neural:X. Is this normal or do I need to change an amp setting or a setting on my Oppo 203. My set up is 5.1.4.

When playing DTS-HD Master Audio films on the DTS Neural:X setting my 3050 amp window continuously flashes from DTS-HD to Neural:X. Is this normal or do I need to change an amp setting or a setting on my Oppo 203. My set up is 5.1.4.
The Oppo should be set to output in bitstream which sounds as though it is. The problem lies within the Yamaha.

When the Display is set to AUDIO DECODER mode then yes, the activity you are experiencing would be normall. All that is happening is that the receiver is informing you that the receiver is receing DTS-HD Master Audio formatted audio and then applying Neural:X to it. If and when applying upmixing modes, the receiver still indicates the format of the audio it is applying to it. You could change the display mode by using the INFO button on the remote if the display becomes a distraction.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right thread but when I play the test tones through my Yamaha 3050, the left and rights are separate but the rears have now merged i.e. I hear the tone from both speakers. Any ideas? I cannot spoke any wires crossing at the receiver side. Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom