YAMAHA Aventage - RX - 1050 - 2050 - 3050 - Club

Hi,

when I adjust the below two setting they don't seem to make a difference to atmos or dtsx dialogue.

dialogue level works well on all sources except atmos and dtsx?

dts dialogue is made for dtsx only if I am correct but does seem to make any difference.

I have the latest firmware installed on my 3050 with 7.1.2 speaker setup.

anyone else notice this?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Is there a way to change the name of SERVER to something else? I can see how to do it with other inputs, but not that one. When i go to inputs and select that one and then press the up arrow, all I have is DMC control. Can this be changed?

Thanks!

Is there a way to change the name of SERVER to something else? I can see how to do it with other inputs, but not that one. When i go to inputs and select that one and then press the up arrow, all I have is DMC control. Can this be changed?

Thanks!

There's no INPUT called SERVER and it is part of the NET (Network) sources.

No, but then again the name of your server or servers on your network will be displayed on the top/root directory menu of the onscreen display when you select the NET source.

There's no INPUT called SERVER and it is part of the NET (Network) sources.

No, but then again the name of your server or servers on your network will be displayed on the top/root directory menu of the onscreen display when you select the NET source.

Thanks, yes it just seems odd that I can change it on the app, but not the receiver.

When using the YPAO setting, it always sets my front and centre to large, despite there being an xxls400 connected. As I understand it, when set to large, all the bass is directed to the speakers and none to the sub, so my question is what is the point of that? Why detect the sub and set the levels and then change the fronts to large?

I've also been experimenting with crossovers as with 80hz, some music sounds a little hollow somehow. I have B&W 685 s2 and according to the specs, they have a range of 52Hz - 22kHz ±3dB, so does that mean I should be using a crossover closer to 52hz? I've sat listening to music while changing the crossover on the 1050 and 100hz up I hear more bass in general, but not much of a difference in lower numbers.

Thanks!

When using the YPAO setting, it always sets my front and centre to large, despite there being an xxls400 connected. As I understand it, when set to large, all the bass is directed to the speakers and none to the sub, so my question is what is the point of that? Why detect the sub and set the levels and then change the fronts to large?

I've also been experimenting with crossovers as with 80hz, some music sounds a little hollow somehow. I have B&W 685 s2 and according to the specs, they have a range of 52Hz - 22kHz ±3dB, so does that mean I should be using a crossover closer to 52hz? I've sat listening to music while changing the crossover on the 1050 and 100hz up I hear more bass in general, but not much of a difference in lower numbers.

Thanks!

It sets the speaker sizes in relation to the roll off of those speakers detected during the calibration. It is suggest you manually set speakers that have been set as being LARGE to SMALL after the calibration is complete. The inclusion of a sub is more to do with handling the LFE channel as opposed to handling frequencies redirected away from speakers you set as being SMALL. The fact you can set them as being SMALL and redirect frequencies at and below an associated crossover is simply a fringe benfit of having a sub and not the primary reason for having the sub.

It is suggested you use a crossover of 80Hz even with speakers rated as being full range. Full range is defined by the human auditory frequency range and this is 20 - 20,000Hz. 80Hz is suggested because this is the point at which most people start to localise frequencies. Some people start to detect the location of frequencies at and above 80Hz which can potentially make the location of the sub apparent. The vast majority of listeners can not detect the location of frequencies that are below 200Hz though so you can theoretically set crossovers even higher than the suggested 80Hz. The reason you redirect these frequencies is because they can sap the upper frequency drive units of power. Directing the lower frequencies away to the sub for it to handle can improve the associated speakers' upper frequency headroom because the receiver isn't having to exert as much effort powering those speakers handling those harder to reproduce lower frequencies.

Last edited:
It sets the speaker sizes in relation to the roll off of those speakers detected during the calibration. It is suggest you manually set speakers that have been set as being LARGE to SMALL after the calibration is complete. The inclusion of a sub is more to do with handling the LFE channel as opposed to handling frequencies redirected away from speakers you set as being SMALL. The fact you can set them as being SMALL and redirect frequencies at and below an associated crossover is simply a fridge benfit of having a sub and not the primary reason for having the sub.

It is suggested you use a crossover of 80Hz even with speakers rated as being full range. Full range is defined as the human auditory frequency range and this is 20 - 20,000Hz. 80Hz is suggested because this is the point at which some people start to localise frequencies. Some people start to detect the location of frequencies above 80Hz which can potentially make the location of the sub apparent. The vast majority of listeners can not detect the location of frequencies that are below 200Hz though so you can theoretically set crossovers even higher than the suggested 80Hz. The reason you redirect these frequencies is because they can sap the upper frequency drive unit of power. Directing them away to the sub for it to handle can improve the associated speaker's upper frequency headroom because the receiver isn't having to exert as much effort powering those speakers.

Ah, I see, that's very good info, thanks for taking the time to write all that, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

The thing that I'm struggling to get my head round is the frequency knob on the sub, should that be set somewhere close to the 80hz mark?, it goes from 40-120hz.

Ah, I see, that's very good info, thanks for taking the time to write all that, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

The thing that I'm struggling to get my head round is the frequency knob on the sub, should that be set somewhere close to the 80hz mark?, it goes from 40-120hz.

The sub's own filter should be set as high as it will go (120Hz in your case) or to a dedicated LFE setting prior to running the YPAO calibration. The phase should also be set to 0° and its volume to about one third prior to running the calibration. You set the frequency to its maximum to stop the sub's own filter from interferring with the already filtered output from the receiver. Only the receiver's own filtering and bass management need be used if the sub is used with an AV receiver.The dedicated LFE channel you get with 5.1 or 7.1 soundtracks has a 120Hz ceiling so if you were to set the sub's filter below this then you'd potentially be discarding part of the LFE channel.

The sub's own filter should be set as high as it will go (120Hz in your case) or to a dedicated LFE setting prior to running the YPAO calibration. The phase should also be set to 0° and its volume to about one third prior to running the calibration. You set the frequency to its maximum to stop the sub's own filter from interferring with the already filtered output from the receiver. Only the receiver's own filtering and bass management need be used if the sub is used with an AV receiver.The dedicated LFE channel you get with 5.1 or 7.1 soundtracks has a 120Hz ceiling so if you were to set the sub's filter below this then you'd potentially be discarding part of the LFE channel.

OK thanks again for the help :)

My xxls400 has just come back from BK after having a new amp fitted because the original one (less than a month old) was outputting a fraction of what it should have been. YPAO previously was adding +10 to the sub volume and it was still barely audible on half volume. Things seem to be much improved, but still the sub is very quiet when using the low level input. This time, YPAO has set the sub to +2 when the sub's gain knob is at half volume (12 oclock), which still seems quite low. The really odd thing is that the sub is barely audible with music while on +2 on the amp and 12 oclock on the sub. If I toggle between small and large speakers, there seems to be less bass when the speakers are set to small.

Just to make things even more confusing, if i hook up the low level input, the bass is incredible, powerful and as I think it should be, and that is with the sub's gain at quarter to or 10 to!

From that, it doesn't appear to be a placement issue as the powerful bass notes are present with the high level inputs. I'm not sure what else to try, I've swapped out cables, even used a different AVR (Marantz SR6010).

I do realise too, that the sub should be just gently supporting the music rather than dominating it, but it just seems that I'm having to use way too much gain for the bass that's coming from the sub. Hopefully that makes sense?

The room is smallish, square 2.4m ceilings, roughly 4m x 4.5m, solid oak floor on asphalt and a rug, the sub is on spikes.

Thanks.

OK thanks again for the help :)

My xxls400 has just come back from BK after having a new amp fitted because the original one (less than a month old) was outputting a fraction of what it should have been. YPAO previously was adding +10 to the sub volume and it was still barely audible on half volume. Things seem to be much improved, but still the sub is very quiet when using the low level input. This time, YPAO has set the sub to +2 when the sub's gain knob is at half volume (12 oclock), which still seems quite low. The really odd thing is that the sub is barely audible with music while on +2 on the amp and 12 oclock on the sub. If I toggle between small and large speakers, there seems to be less bass when the speakers are set to small.

Just to make things even more confusing, if i hook up the low level input, the bass is incredible, powerful and as I think it should be, and that is with the sub's gain at quarter to or 10 to!

From that, it doesn't appear to be a placement issue as the powerful bass notes are present with the high level inputs. I'm not sure what else to try, I've swapped out cables, even used a different AVR (Marantz SR6010).

I do realise too, that the sub should be just gently supporting the music rather than dominating it, but it just seems that I'm having to use way too much gain for the bass that's coming from the sub. Hopefully that makes sense?

The room is smallish, square 2.4m ceilings, roughly 4m x 4.5m, solid oak floor on asphalt and a rug, the sub is on spikes.

Thanks.

Changing the sub's gain will simply result in your receiver levelling it differently during the subsequent calibration. Changing it without calibration simply results in the sub and its output no longer being correctly levelled or calibrated.

An adjustment level of +2 whilst the gain is set half way is a perfectly acceptable calibration result and I see no reason to change anything.

Your sub is correctly levelled. It is only your expectations that are disappointed. You don't get masses of bass unless the content was mixed to give you that effect. A sub isn't there to add more bass than was originally present, it is there to handle bass that your other speakers are less able to handle.

If wanting more bass then you can try using the TONE CONTROL (BASS) and SUBWOOFER/BASS (TRIM and EXTRA BASS) settings located in the OPTION configurations. Altering any of these will result in a bias towards the lower end though. If you use these settings then it is a matter of personal preference as opposed to correcting an abnormality or creating a calibrated setup.

Another thing to try would be to engage YPAO VOLUME and ADAPTIVE DRC. This would help portray effects better at lower volume levels.

LOcation of the sub can be an issue and where it is in relation to the room's acoustics may be resulting in a low freqyency null? Try placing it some distance away frim where it is now and see how it sounds?

Last edited:
Changing the sub's gain will simply result in your receiver levelling it differently during the the subsequent calibration. Changing it without calibration simply results in the sub and its output no longer being correctly levelled or calibrated.

An adjustment level of +2 whilst the gain is set half way is a perfectly acceptable calibration result and I see no reason to change anything.

Your sub is correctly levelled. It is only your expectations that are disappointed. You don't get masses of bass unless the content was mixed to give you that effect. A sub isn't there to add more bass than was originally present, it is there to handle bass that your other speakers are less able to handle.

If wanting more bass than try using the TONE CONTROL (BASS) and SUBWOOFER/BASS (TRIM and EXTRA BASS) settings located in the OPTION configurations. Altering any of these will result in a bias towards the lower end though. If you use these settings then it is a matter of personal preference as opposed to correcting an anomaly or creating a calibrated setup.

Thanks again :)

I think the thing that was throwing me was that there was less bass with the sub than there was with just the front speakers. I had the extra bass enabled on the app when I ran YPAO but turned off when testing, would that affect the results? It wasn't intentional, but I have just run YPAO again with extra bass turned off, it seems the same, but I have upped the main sub volume on the 1050 to +3 and that seems to be the sweet spot for music in this room. The extra bass sounds great with just the speakers, but a bit too much with the sub.

EXTRA BASS isn't applied during calibration. No bass management, PEQ or DSP is applied during the calibration.

Given that you say that you preferred the bass without the sub then it could potentially be a timing issue with the sub? TRy adjusting the distance setting for the sub, preferably starting at a physically measured distance from your seated listening position to the sub's location.

LOcation of the sub can be an issue and where it is in relation to the room's acoustics may be resulting in a low freqyency null? Try placing it some distance away frim where it is now and see how it sounds?

Thanks, can this null be determined from the graphs that YPAO makes? The position of the sub at the moment is pretty much where it has to stay, unfortunately, mostly due to lack of space.

Given that you say that you preferred the bass without the sub then it could potentially be a timing issue with the sub? TRy adjusting the distance setting for the sub, preferably starting at a physically measured distance from your seated listening position to the sub's location.

Thanks again! It had set the sub 2.8m away which is actually a full metre to far. In fact, it got all the speakers (L/C/R/SW) distances wrong for some reason. I had adjusted them on the last run of YPAO but not on this morning's run.

Thanks, can this null be determined from the graphs that YPAO makes? The position of the sub at the moment is pretty much where it has to stay, unfortunately, mostly due to lack of space.

You'd need something like REW to be able to analyse the bass response.

Thanks again! It had set the sub 2.8m away which is actually a full metre to far. In fact, it got all the speakers (L/C/R/SW) distances wrong for some reason. I had adjusted them on the last run of YPAO but not on this morning's run.

Are you using a mic stand for the calibration mic?

You'd need something like REW to be able to analyse the bass response.

Are you using a mic stand for the calibration mic?

Ah I see, well that's one for another day then! No mic stand, I just put it where I usually sit and left the room. Thanks again for your help :thumbsup:

Ah I see, well that's one for another day then! No mic stand, I just put it where I usually sit and left the room. Thanks again for your help :thumbsup:

I'd suggest you either borrow or invest in a mic stand and boom. You'd be surprised what a difference it makes when it comes to the accuracy of the calibration. One of the most common causes of incaccurate calibration results is the poor placement of the mic. For a start, the mic needs to be at your head height and the surface you place a mic on can influence the results. You may find this thread of interest:

Answered - Which Mic tripod?

Can't get DTX to output on my 3050 which has the latest firmware.

So I downloaded some atmos & dtx lossless files from demo world eu and the atmos play fine but nothing from the dtx, so what am I doing wrong, files on a usb3 stick and playing on a Panasonic uhd player

I just select straight from the dsp and mine works fine. I bought a dtsx demo disc off ebay for £6 to try it.

I have some demos uploaded on my one drive you can use to test.

OneDrive

What's the latest firmware?

does anyone have the firmware version before 1.89 I want to test something out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom