YAMAHA Aventage - RX - 1050 - 2050 - 3050 - Club

Yes, looked at that and the 7200WA but no MusicCast equivalent and the 6300H is too dear/don't need 11 channels.
Still got to talk to RS next week so will see what they say/what they can do.

The box is down from the attic (had to laugh the YPAO mic stand never made it out of its bag!) so I'll say sayonara to the xx50 thread, but thanks folks for all the advice about the 3050.

Your entitled to do as you please but I am surprised your not going to keep it, mine sounds fantastic and if it did 5.1 in straight I would be looking to upmix it to 7.1 anyway so it just won't affect me or my setup.
Good luck with your next purchase though.

My 3060 is on 1.26. (updated a couple of hours ago)

I'm going to take this as a sign that the Dolby surround decode upmixing works as expected at least. I'm just now running the 5.1 dts hd (picture) test disc and when running it in STRAIGHT there's an equal output in the surround backs, but when using dolby surround decode the back speakers are dead quiet for the entirety of this disc.

Using Dolby surround decode on the "thx_terminator_2_lossless_dts_hd_ma_5.1" disc the surround backs are quite alive and it's as if there are discrete channels. With straight, however, the surround backs are just mimicking the surrounds, but with some delay.

Another +1 for using Dolby Surround decode at all times..

Thanks for this mate, it's exactly what I was trying to explain to Dante, what disc is that please ?

Martin.

I've got a 3050 and only run 5.1. Presumably all this sound decoding stuff is of no concern to me?! That said, I am looking into an atmos setup in the not too distant future?

I've got a 3050 and only run 5.1. Presumably all this sound decoding stuff is of no concern to me?! That said, I am looking into an atmos setup in the not too distant future?

This 'issue' won't effect the vast majority of people for the simply fact that most people would generally want to use all their speakers when watching a movie. Regardless of what it was recorded in.

Naturally you will also get a few 'purists' but having spent thousands on my system and have hundreds of blu Rays recorded in 5.1 - there's no way I'd want to miss out on using all my speakers (5.1.4)

This issue is however just affecting those people using back surrounds - but again even if I did. I'd still want to use them lol

This 'issue' won't effect the vast majority of people for the simply fact that most people would generally want to use all their speakers when watching a movie. Regardless of what it was recorded in.

Naturally you will also get a few 'purists' but having spent thousands on my system and have hundreds of blu Rays recorded in 5.1 - there's no way I'd want to miss out on using all my speakers (5.1.4)

This issue is however just affecting those people using back surrounds - but again even if I did. I'd still want to use them lol

Yeah definitely mate. I usually put content through all speakers anyway and when watching movies etc, I just let the master audio or whatever is being used, do the work. I'm not fussed much beyond that. Besides, at the same price point, I think you'll be hard pushed to match the quality of the music playback.

Completely agree. I don't think at the same price point you'd match movie playback either.

These Yammy's really are a beast.

V happy here! [emoji106]

Thanks for this mate, it's exactly what I was trying to explain to Dante, what disc is that please ?

Martin.

You can find all the discs (clips) in the URL I posted at the top of this page :) If you have a htpc or a pc you can connect to your avr via hdmi you can play them from there..

I thought for a minute there that the new f/w had sorted the 5.1 thing!, just chose a 5.1 DTS HD blu Ray off my shelf (Tim buttons Alice in wonderland ) and voila no back speaker audio in straight mode, I then checked the on screen information and it's actually a 6.1 track not 5.1!!. I might sue Disney lol.

I thought for a minute there that the new f/w had sorted the 5.1 thing!, just chose a 5.1 DTS HD blu Ray off my shelf (Tim buttons Alice in wonderland ) and voila no back speaker audio in straight mode, I then checked the on screen information and it's actually a 6.1 track not 5.1!!. I might sue Disney lol.

No fear.

Rumour has it that fisherprice are about to release a new AV amp that'll play back 5.1 tracks in just 5.1!! So all those people out there that have more than 5 speakers can start using those unused speakers as wall ornaments instead, which is perfect timing for all the Christmas decorations be hung from.

I better put my 3050 on classifies lol

[emoji12]

Yeah runs off hot air ;-)

Just updating the yammy now as it goes.

Yeah runs off hot air ;-)

Just updating the yammy now as it goes.

I did mine earlier on, took a few minutes. Can't see anything fresh and it's not up on the yam site yet to say what it does, well that's the 3060 :)

I have a question... I think this Affects the xx60 than the xx50 though.

After running Ypao the distances are between 4-6" short when measuring manually, I have tweaked them but I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do ?, is it possible the amp is taking into account reflections etc, maybe i should leave them as Ypao set them,
Thoughts ?

I'm under the impression that these should be left alone since the avr does corrections regarding phase / time aligning. I have run REW (with UMIK) quite a few times looking at the results after changing the distance on the sub, and I always end up back where the receiver has set the distance.

Changing the distance back and forth moves the dips I have in my response graph. I have been struggling with a -10'ish db dip at around 85-90hz and this gets moved up and down whenever I change the distance on my sub.

Mind you I'm fairly newbie when it comes to all of this, but I'm (hopefully) learning every other day..

I'm under the impression that these should be left alone since the avr does corrections regarding phase / time aligning. I have run REW (with UMIK) quite a few times looking at the results after changing the distance on the sub, and I always end up back where the receiver has set the distance.

Changing the distance back and forth moves the dips I have in my response graph. I have been struggling with a -10'ish db dip at around 85-90hz and this gets moved up and down whenever I change the distance on my sub.

Mind you I'm fairly newbie when it comes to all of this, but I'm (hopefully) learning every other day..

I never understood REW :facepalm:, I might run Ypao again then and leave the distances alone, I think my room is very bad for acoustics in general.

I have a question... I think this Affects the xx60 than the xx50 though.

After running Ypao the distances are between 4-6" short when measuring manually, I have tweaked them but I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do ?, is it possible the amp is taking into account reflections etc, maybe i should leave them as Ypao set them,
Thoughts ?

Don't worry about distances set by the receiver that are only a few inches out from physical measured distances. As suggested already, the distance is measured by how long it took the test tone to reach the mic from the speakers so it is correct when interpreted by the receiver applies the delay it applies, but wouldn't really be adverse or anything to worry about anyway unless the distances are several metres out.

Last edited:
Don't worry about distances set by the receiver that are only a few inches out from physical measured distances. As suggested already, the distance is measured by how long it took the test tone to reach the mic from the speakers so it is correct when interpreted by the receiver applies the delay it applies, but wouldn't really be adverse or anything to worry about anyway unless the distances are several metres out.
My centre came out at 5.05mts, actual measurement is 3.6 Mts. Is this an issue , should I physically alter to its true distance?

Yeah I did think a few inches wouldn't really make that much difference, I want to re run Ypao anyway sometime so I can get my sub db to near 0.0db, it's at -3db now with sub dial at 10oclock so thinking 9 o'clock should just about do it.

My centre came out at 5.05mts, actual measurement is 3.6 Mts. Is this an issue , should I physically alter to its true distance?

That is a big difference, how is your centre speaker located etc ?.

On a shelf just under tv, only place I can put it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom