Yamaha av61 or sony ht- ddw890?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Nassa, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Nassa

Nassa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im almost certain to go for one of these two, ive read some threads on the av59, (which I assume is a previous model to av61), though I cant find much info on the sony Ht ddw890 in comparison to the Yamaha. Any help much appreciated, Thanks.

2. positron

positron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am no expert, so take this with a pinch of salt - I read up a lot of posts on both systems here, and the impression I got was that 890 amp has a lot more input choices and features than the RX-V361 amp that comes with the AV61 / AV-3101 packages. HDMI switching etc. Also Sony is 6.1, where as AV61 is 5.1. Over all 890 has more connectivity options and features than AV61.

I compared the dimensions, and the Sony amp is slightly bigger that the Yamaha, and Sony sub (chunky, square) about 40% bigger than Yamaha (taller) way, and same with Sony speakers - Yamaha speakers are tiny! 890 is silver with wood/panel sub and speakers, where as I think AV61 is silver, and the European version AV-3101 is black.

AV61 is cheaper (in pixmania anyway, about €60 or £40). I don't know if one sounds better than the other.

I placed an order for AV-3101 with pixmania earlier this week and am expecting a delivery soon - can't wait! :D

3. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    MY sony ht- ddw890

Has just come.

Dont no what the sound will be like but it looks very nice.

I saw the Yamaha av61 in hughs and the speakers are very small.

And the sub is small.