1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha AV57 query

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Abbeygoo, Oct 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,953
    As a newbi, I need some help. I have a Toshiba 32ZP38 with Pioneer 575A (component) and Sky + via QED scart. I am really pleased with my picture - but want to do something about the sound. Read the What Hi Fi awards magazine which features the Yamaha AV57 - a speaker / receiver package for around £200. Would this signifcantly improve the sound to replace the Toshiba's external speakers? Or should I save up some more and get the Denon DHT550 (about £500)?. Or save up even more and get separates like the Denon 1920 plus Denon AVR 1906 and KEF KHT1005 (about £1000)?. My front room is about 10 x 18 feet - so I think the Yamaha is not just the cheapest but best value for money as the others I think would be too much - help. Cheers. :lease:

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi Abbeygoo

The Yammy AV57 would be a very good purchase, it seems you already have a well balanced system visual wise. The Pio dvd player is very good.

The DHT550 system is superb too, and yes, is the better sounding, but may not be as good value for money.

For your room size, the AV57 might struggle a little, and the sub is a little weedy and boomy. But if you go the Denon route then your Pioneer DVD player becomes redundant.

Unless your TV can accept HDMI or HDCP compliant DVI, then the Denon 1920 won't offer much over the Pio 575A.

Peter Tyson are selling the Yammy system for £159: http://www.petertyson.co.uk/hifiyamahadeals.shtml

And for that price, it's a bit of a steal :). The amp in the AV57 package is better than the speakers though, so one may be able to upgrade the speakers at a later date. In my very humble opinion, I think that should be the best way to go.

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I think the yamaha system will be a very nice starter and with the speakers only the sub will let it down. When I first started i got a yam 620 amp and a nsp 220 speaker system, the speaker where fine quality that would not distort and were decent wih music but also very clear with dialog. The sub on the other hand had a habbit of 'farting' when it was pushed too loud, of couse turning down the volume sorted it out but its not the best solution, it only ever happend when it was pushed quite alot though (much higher than normal volumes).

Value for money wise you can't beat the yammy system, but i think in about 2 years you would upgrade it if you got serious with HC. If not though it'll be better than pretty much any all in one and give you years of enjoyment.

I can't comment on the denon all in one system, although it is ment to be up there with the best but £500 is quite a bit of money over the yammy system so demo if you can.

Like i say in a years time if you get the home cinema bug then go out and buy a full midrange system, but you never know the yammy system may be more than your requitremnts, if not you can always use it as a bedroom system.

4. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,953
    :thumbsup: Thanks for your help.I've decided to ditch the yammy av57 in favour of the Denon AVR1906 and KEF Kht 1005 as a partnership. A little more spend but makes more sense long term and stops the wife from spending it. Great assistance - cheers again boys. :clap:

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would recommend you look at the Canton special offer in the speakers forum before splashing out on the Kefs.

6. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    :hiya: Abbeygoo, good choice by the looks of it - have you had this passed by the commitee?? :lesson: Have you seen this deal? - http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HCS_DEN1906_KHT1005.htm

Looks v competitive. Are you keeping the pioneer dvd player or upgrading to the denon 1920? As it look like you could get the Kef kit+Denon1906+Denon 1920 for circa £700-£750.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Ps Note that the KefKHT1005 does not come with wall brackets, you can buy these for £20 for 3 brackets from the same site - just scroll down.

7. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Make that £739 including the Denon 1920 - I just scrolled down a bit more on the "Creative Audio" site and there is an option to add the 1920 to the package. You will need a DVD with HDMI once the LCD is purchased - EPP, EPP, EPP, RegSavings, Regsavings, Stakeholder for you-know-who, stakeholder, stakeholder, stakeholder!!!!!

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    what the fudge :confused: :lease:

9. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,953
    lol
    Woodywizz seems to think I can spend my commission earned on selling such products on a new LCD tv. Point one - wish I earned that much and point two - everyone knows that your wife gets hold of your bonus way before you do

10. miffsmith

miffsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a new member with a similar predicament to Abbeygoo. Have heard the AV57 set up at Sound and Vision and it sounds excellent for the price. Have also seen the deal that Woodywizz recommended (Denon 1906 and Kef speakers) and thought about spending the extra cash (it's easy to get the bug!) Would this set up really be streets ahead of the Yamaha package? How do the Kefs perform with audio from CD? Can anyone tell me why they can't ship Kef speakers by mail order? :confused: Could do without the long drive .

Sorry if these are really obvious questions. :lease:

Would be putting the new kit with a JVC 32 DS6 LCD and Toshiba RD XS32 DVDR

11. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Have also seen the deal that Woodywizz recommended (Denon 1906 and Kef speakers) and thought about spending the extra cash (it's easy to get the bug!) Would this set up really be streets ahead of the Yamaha package?

yes :smashin:

12. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,953
    Woodywizz is right to the point there! I need more specifics - Yamaha AV57 v the Denon / Kef arrangement? I expect the Denon / Kef to be better quality but it is priced around £400 more! The Yammy can be bought for around £150/£160 - the best I've seen the Denon/Kef is on the link Woodywizz left to creativeaudio in Shrewsbury which has an outstanding package deal at £520 - which includes all cables as well.

So, can anyone give some clear reasons why I should spend this much more on a system in my front room - could the Denon/Kef be a bit much for a standard living room? Thoughts are appreciated

13. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    What sort of tv do you have, how much did you spend on that, what is decent sound worth vs. vision. In truth only you can decide, best to demo or make a desition based on what people have said here and in reviews, then what you want to spend.

Most people here don't have a home cinema room, and remember music and explotions can get the heart weeping or racing faster than the visual impact.

14. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,953
    thanks for your response Gaz. I have a Toshiba 32zp38 crt tv which i paid £1100 for in Dec 03. They go for about £800 now. I'm really happy with picture and my pioneer 575a. I've booked a demo at Superfi in Manchester tomorrow - let's see how the Denon / Kef performs, eh? Suppose I'm getting a little bit of cold feet.......

15. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Yep no problem, if the demo doesn't 'heat your feet up' then maybe its not for you, if the sound doesn't strike you as "i want that", go for the cheaper one. Then at least you know you have made the best decision.

16. rythmix

rythmix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can you JUST add audio inputs to this, or do you have to add visual ?

Thanks

17. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,953
    well, been for the demo. All i can say is the Denon / KEF kicks lumps out of the Yammy AV57 - clarity of sound, bass depth, spread - all very impressive. Taxi to Shrewsbury anyone? Anyone seen any great deals on the Denon / KEF package nearer home? that's manchester by the way

18. Gumbe

Gumbe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was thinking of getting the AV57 for my bedroom (not my main system). I will be using it mostly for XBOX 360 and the occasional DVD's in bed!

Do you think this is the best system for this purpose around this price (seems very good value).

Also what is it like with music?

Thx all

19. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Had a look on'tinternet and cannot find any deal as good as creative audios' in the Mcr area. I suugest you look at this :

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/inc/planner_places_redirect.jsp?showMap=true#map

Hope this helps :smashin: :smashin: