Yamaha AV Receiver to 2ch Integrated - options and opinions

DansterRS

Novice Member
Hi all, I am looking for some options and opinions on what my next move is for moving from an AVR to 2ch Stereo setup.
I decided that I do not watch enough movie content and did not use my surround setup, so bought a Sonos Beam for the TV which is more than adequate for that purpose.

Now to focus on the 2ch stereo element... I have just bought a BlueSound Node 2021 and hooked it up to my Yamaha RX-A3060 with Chord RCA's. I run the Yamaha in Pure direct mode to my Monitor Audio Silver RX8 floor standers, and REL T5i via high pass cable. Nothing else is hooked to the AVR receiver.
I generally play FLAC from my NAS, Spotify or Amazon HD Music.

Now this sounds pretty good, but I am always thinking about the next step. What could a decent 2ch Amp offer me? I am really looking for better "musical" amp, better instrument separation, sound stage, placement etc.. This has lead me to the Yamaha A-S1200 (2K budget). I do enjoy the Yamaha sound, and I like the idea of a completely analogue amp with the retro looks. I just don't want to sink money into something that does not improve on what I have.

Thanks, Dan.

gibbsy

Although Yamaha AV amps are regarded as being better for music than a comparable Denon it will still not be able to complete with an integrated amp costing the same, or even less, as the AV amp. I have a Denon X6500 and although it was reviewed as having a good music performance it fails miserably against my Rega Elicit-R which cost roughly the same.

An integrated has one job to do, product a stereo sound unlike an AV amp which has to produce audio from as many as 11 channels.

Khazul

In general the move from an avr to a quality stereo amp will yield better clarity and better bass control of larger speakers which in turn gives you more defined image etc.

However, the room, speaker setup and listening position all have a significant part to play as well as do the capability of the speakers.

I have a Yamaha A-S2100 amp and it is an excellent amp and was a vast difference from my Yamaha AVR. However, since then I have spent time with the room setup and recently added decent room correction DSP as well which has further revealed with this amp can do.

An option you have with these amps is to use them with an AVR in HT bypass mode, so if you wish, you could return to running the AVR with your TV with this amp driving the front speakers for AV use and remaining independent for stereo music use. This is basically how I use mine.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
If you have 2 grand I’d start and stop right here.

The Lyngdorf amp is quite the astonishing thing. And Room Perfect is even more so.

A quick review here.

And better still, Tom at Cinehome here can a arrange a home loan. The only way to be sure.

DansterRS

Novice Member
Thanks for the feedback. The Lyngdorf does look to get good press, and the room correction looks favourable at this price point. I might look to test both that and the Yamaha.

gava

Also around that price point is the new NAD C399. I have one on order and I'm hoping it will be with me this week.

If you have your stereo speakers either side of your television, you may be very pleased to hear how a Lyngdorf amp handles television programmes and films. I have had my stereo speakers either side of my television for many years, but with previous hifi amplifiers (both from Marantz) the sound of programmes and films were not well “located” with respect to the television screen so it all sounded a bit artificial. Therefore I only used those amps in conjunction with the television when watching music videos.

When I moved to a Lyngdorf 2170 in 2019 one of the first things I noticed was how well it handled television sound. Most likely due to RoomPerfect, the sound is very well “located” with respect to the television screen sitting between the speakers. Therefore my television is permanently set to a volume of 0 and the Lyngdorf handles all television programmes and films on DVD/BluRay.

I hope this helps.

gava

If you have your stereo speakers either side of your television, you may be very pleased to hear how a Lyngdorf amp handles television programmes and films. I have had my stereo speakers either side of my television for many years, but with previous hifi amplifiers (both from Marantz) the sound of programmes and films were not well “located” with respect to the television screen so it all sounded a bit artificial. Therefore I only used those amps in conjunction with the television when watching music videos.

When I moved to a Lyngdorf 2170 in 2019 one of the first things I noticed was how well it handled television sound. Most likely due to RoomPerfect, the sound is very well “located” with respect to the television screen sitting between the speakers. Therefore my television is permanently set to a volume of 0 and the Lyngdorf handles all television programmes and films on DVD/BluRay.

I hope this helps.

Even though I haven't taken the Lyndorf beyond the trial, I have to say that the way it played my TV sound was pretty spectacular. Highly recommended from that point of view.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom