1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha AV Package 57 - Is it any good??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by martind, Aug 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. martind

martind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I am new to the AV world and have recently got a Samsung LE26R41BDX LCD screen for the bedroom and now would like to have cinema surround sound experiance without going too mad on price. I am looking to pay between £150 - £200 and have found this package http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_26210.html
    for £149 plus delivery, as it includes an AV receiver (Yamaha RXV357) plus speakers i am very very tempted!!!

Can anyone recommend this package or at least advise me on another one??

I want to be able to connect my PS2 to the AV receiver using PS2 component leads and connect the receiver to the LCD using component extension leads giving me surrond sound on my PS2 too.

Thanks

Martin

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    There are a few owners of the older system on here who use them for the ame purpose you are interested in and are very happy with the price and performance :D

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    For the money, you can't really go wrong, it isn't going to challenge some of the big boys for outright ability, but then you pay a lot more.

I have the previous gen system in the bedroom currently (although it doesn't get used much unfortunately, thinking of giving it to my parents tonight, as they are currently making do with my old Videologic Digitheatre DTS). And at least the Yamaha set up will be used properly over there as opposed to gathering dust in the bedroom at my place :).

Great little system though, and for the money, it is an absolute bargain :)

4. simpsod1

simpsod1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have this system in my house....I have onr thing to say......buy it.

I have heard systems costing 10 times as much but do you get 10 times better sound??

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Errrrm...................yes :D :cool: :devil:

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Errrrrm..... no ! It's called "The Law of Diminishing Returns". A £2000 amplifier does not sound 10 times as good as a £200 amplifier. :lesson: :nono:

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    In most cases yes, but in my opinion, the speakers let this particular package down, so to all intents and purposes, one could quite possibly improve the sound tenfold by spending tenfold.

Don't forget, we are talking about an entire package here, not just the amp.

The Law of diminishing returns is more appropriate to high end gear, again, in my opinion :p.

For example a £200 subwoofer could well be over shadowed tenfold by a £2,000 subwoofer, whereas a £1,000 subwoofer would probably not be overshadowed by twice the amount.

EDIT: I should also state that my comment was slightly tongue in cheek, if you care to observe the smilies :D