Yamaha-audio cuts randomly only on hdmi out (tv arc)

hitpoint

Novice Member
Hi!

I have a Samsung smart tv, Yahama rx v681 reciever, and a mi tv box.
Everything was working jist fine until I disconnected all the wires/cables from the reciver in order to move something and then I connected everything back. Did the same 3 times to try to fix the issue.

The problem is that the audio now cuts randomly for a second and the speaker icons on the reciver dissappear and reappear after 1 second. This happens only when I watch Netflix/Youtube on my tv. Of I ise the tv box, spotify or bluetooth on the reciver than there are no problems. I bought 2 new hdmi cables, pretty good ones, but that didnt resolve the issue.
Anynet and hdmi arc are enabled. Arc and control are enabled on the recievr. Tried reseting the AVR but no luck.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any advice please?

EDIT: Everything is ok when PCM is chosen on the tv. But thats stereo. AUTO and Passthrough cuts the audio. Tried changing the Dynamic range, no effect.

Thank you,
Deni

Last edited:

Davoid

Standard Member
Hi!

I have a Samsung smart tv, Yahama rx v681 reciever, and a mi tv box.
Everything was working jist fine until I disconnected all the wires/cables from the reciver in order to move something and then I connected everything back. Did the same 3 times to try to fix the issue.

The problem is that the audio now cuts randomly for a second and the speaker icons on the reciver dissappear and reappear after 1 second. This happens only when I watch Netflix/Youtube on my tv. Of I ise the tv box, spotify or bluetooth on the reciver than there are no problems. I bought 2 new hdmi cables, pretty good ones, but that didnt resolve the issue.
Anynet and hdmi arc are enabled. Arc and control are enabled on the recievr. Tried reseting the AVR but no luck.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any advice please?

EDIT: Everything is ok when PCM is chosen on the tv. But thats stereo. AUTO and Passthrough cuts the audio. Tried changing the Dynamic range, no effect.

Thank you,
Deni
I have been having the same problem now for a while when using the Netflix app (LG tv app or my Apple 4kTV Netflix app). Receiver is the Yamaha RX-A1080.
The only way I get it to stop is to pause what I am watching switch off the receiver and then restart it again, I don't have it happen again after doing this.

David

hitpoint

Novice Member
I have been having the same problem now for a while when using the Netflix app (LG tv app or my Apple 4kTV Netflix app). Receiver is the Yamaha RX-A1080.
The only way I get it to stop is to pause what I am watching switch off the receiver and then restart it again, I don't have it happen again after doing this.

David
I tried that too, but no luck :/

dante01

Distinguished Member
Most obvious thing to try is to try a different HDMI cable between the TV and the AV receiver. The most common cause of HDMI ARC issues is the cable.

Want makes you think the cables you've bought are "good ones"? If it is due to the [price you paid then this is not an indication of quality or re;iability. I prtdonally use Amazon's own Basics HDMI cables and I've never had any issues relating to ARC with them. The fact is I've never had any issue what so ever with these cables. They are very affordable.

The last thing to try is to disconnect both the AV receiver and the TV from the mains electroty supply, disconnect the HDMI connection between them, reconnect it and then reconnect the mains supply.

hitpoint

Novice Member
Most obvious thing to try is to try a different HDMI cable between the TV and the AV receiver. The most common cause of HDMI ARC issues is the cable.

Want makes you think the cables you've bought are "good ones"? If it is due to the [price you paid then this is not an indication of quality or re;iability. I prtdonally use Amazon's own Basics HDMI cables and I've never had any issues relating to ARC with them. The fact is I've never had any issue what so ever with these cables. They are very affordable.

The last thing to try is to disconnect both the AV receiver and the TV from the mains electroty supply, disconnect the HDMI connection between them, reconnect it and then reconnect the mains supply.
Your comment gave me an idea to try my old 4k hdmi cable which is 1.5m long, and guess what, no audio cuts! The other one is 5m long and the last one is 3m long. I googled some about it and it looks like that 4k cables shouldnt be more than 3 m long which brings the question why my 3m 4k cable with golden connectors gives audio cuts? I will return it and buy something else, but also 3m long, because anything under that wouldnt work for me.
Thank you. I will write an update after I do that.

dante01

Distinguished Member
HDMI cables can be 3m or more in length. The issue ios that you are more likely to experience issues caused by poor cables the longer the length of that cable. The length to avoid is anything more than 8m and HDMI org suggest trying to keep cable lengths below this and use other means by which to convey the signal is needing to convey it over longer distances. Alternatives such as using HDBaseT to send the HDMI signal over cat5e or cat6 cabling are okay with lower bandwidth resolutions, but using HDMI over hybrid fibre has now beome the norm when wanting to send 4K signals over longer distances.

In your case, a good quality HIGH SPEED or PREMIUM (18Gbps(HDMI cable would be fine even if 3m long. This doesn't however mean that the cable has to be expensive. Amazon'a own Basics HDMI cables are some of the most reliable yet afforfable cables you can buy. My AV receiver is connected to my TV using a 3m Amazon cable and I've never had any issues with it relative to ARC or eARC. IN fact I've never had any probleaems with any of Amazon's HDMI HDMI cables and I;ve been using them for over 10 years in one form or another.

Amazon product

The price you pay or the precious metal they plate the plug with means nothing. Gold plating will not improve the quality of the signal and is basically done to help prevent corrosion and or the build up of deposits caused by oxidisation of the metal the plug is made from on the plug's surface that could in time effect the function of that plug to convey the signal. It doesn't improve the signal or the associated quality of the video or audio being cpnveyed. Gold is used simply because it is a good conductor ot current and doesn't corrode or oxidise.

Last edited:

hitpoint

Novice Member
HDMI cables can be 3m or more in length. The issue ios that you are more likely to experience issues caused by poor cables the longer the length of that cable. The length to avoid is anything more than 8m and HDMI org suggest trying to keep cable lengths below this and use other means by which to convey the signal is needing to convey it over longer distances. Alternatives such as using HDBaseT to send the HDMI signal over cat5e or cat6 cabling are okay with lower bandwidth resolutions, but using HDMI over hybrid fibre has now beome the norm when wanting to send 4K signals over longer distances.

In your case, a good quality HIGH SPEED or PREMIUM (18Gbps(HDMI cable would be fine even if 3m long. This doesn't however mean that the cable has to be expensive. Amazon'a own Basics HDMI cables are some of the most reliable yet afforfable cables you can buy. My AV receiver is connected to my TV using a 3m Amazon cable and I've never had any issues with it relative to ARC or eARC. IN fact I've never had any probleaems with any of Amazon's HDMI HDMI cables and I;ve been using them for over 10 years in one form or another.

Amazon product

The price you pay or the precious metal they plate the plug with means nothing. Gold plating will not improve the quality of the signal and is basically done to help prevent corrosion and or the build up of deposits caused by oxidisation of the metal the plug is made from on the plug's surface that could in time effect the function of that plug to convey the signal. It doesn't improve the signal or the associated quality of the video or audio being cpnveyed. Gold is used simply because it is a good conductor ot current and doesn't corrode.

I thank you for the time and effort in writing that!
I will now order one from Amazon eve though mine have the same specs, or that is just written on the cable but not true, obviously :)
Will update as soon as I get it and try it, so other people will know the solution.

frigidiceman916

Novice Member
I thank you for the time and effort in writing that!
I will now order one from Amazon eve though mine have the same specs, or that is just written on the cable but not true, obviously :)
Will update as soon as I get it and try it, so other people will know the solution.
Hi Hitpoint. I'm having something similar happen with me except it's when I'm only streaming media from my PC (as DLNA) on my TV (my post is here). I'm kind hoping that it isn't the cabling as it's in my walls and cannot change them up.

I'm interested in knowing if new cabling worked for you!

hitpoint

Novice Member
Hi Hitpoint. I'm having something similar happen with me except it's when I'm only streaming media from my PC (as DLNA) on my TV (my post is here). I'm kind hoping that it isn't the cabling as it's in my walls and cannot change them up.

I'm interested in knowing if new cabling worked for you!
Hey!
I haven't bought a new cabke yet but it works with my old one. So it is the cable. You have a problem only woth music? Like via bluetooth to tv?

frigidiceman916

Novice Member
Hey!
I haven't bought a new cabke yet but it works with my old one. So it is the cable. You have a problem only woth music? Like via bluetooth to tv?
My issue is very odd....the audio works for everything (cable tv, blu ray player, xbox one and nintendo switch) except when i stream content from my PC via the tv.

Sometimes, audio will play and will work for a few days, then it'll randomly drop. I've had occasions where audio won't even start play at all. Video works fine. Oddly enough, I unplugged the HDMI cable from the wall jack (i have a multi media outlet in the wall as my cables run in the walls) and it's working now. I'm going to update my post to see if anyone else has any ideas (along with some other findings)

Still interested in knowing if it's your cables though :)

hitpoint

Novice Member
My issue is very odd....the audio works for everything (cable tv, blu ray player, xbox one and nintendo switch) except when i stream content from my PC via the tv.

Sometimes, audio will play and will work for a few days, then it'll randomly drop. I've had occasions where audio won't even start play at all. Video works fine. Oddly enough, I unplugged the HDMI cable from the wall jack (i have a multi media outlet in the wall as my cables run in the walls) and it's working now. I'm going to update my post to see if anyone else has any ideas (along with some other findings)

Still interested in knowing if it's your cables though :)
So a quick update: I bought a new 4k Amazon basics cable but it was the same. Then I replaced it with a new 8k Amazon basics cable and now it works. So the bandwith was the problem, I guess. I watch 1080p and 4k videos/movies only.
Good luck! :)

MrBlibby

Novice Member

Amazon product

The price you pay or the precious metal they plate the plug with means nothing. Gold plating will not improve the quality of the signal and is basically done to help prevent corrosion and or the build up of deposits caused by oxidisation of the metal the plug is made from on the plug's surface that could in time effect the function of that plug to convey the signal. It doesn't improve the signal or the associated quality of the video or audio being cpnveyed. Gold is used simply because it is a good conductor ot current and doesn't corrode or oxidise.

Thanks for the post - had been having an ongoing issue with my RV-X585 with intermittent drop out - changed ports/cables/TV and was on the point of buying a new AV Receiver - £7 dropped on 2 new 3m Amazon basics cables and the issue seems to have been fixed :)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom