Question Yamaha ats1050/yas 105

jkenn

Novice Member
Reaction score
Does anyone one of these? Pretty sure they are the same as the specs are identical. Ats1050 is on sale in richer sound and was going to buy, I assume any sound bar would improve on my TVs sounds? Panasonic 58ex700b
Thanks

Sorry about the late reply – had to join the forum first!

I have an ATS 1050, recently inherited from my late grandfather (I believe it was his last ever A/V purchase). From what I've seen on the 'net, the two sound bars are identical.

Mine is about the same width as the screen on my old 40 inch Samsung LCD TV, which might make it look a bit narrow in front of a 58 inch. That said, its surround mode certainly makes it sound wider, and is surprisingly effective in a room which was not at all set up for surround sound. It's clear voice function can significantly improve the clarity of any dialogue, although it is not adjustable. While it has an output for an external sub woofer, the on board sub woofer is incredible, and can cause actual vibrations. It is certainly better than the very cheap Bush sound bar I had before.

I suppose there are only two real drawbacks with it. Firstly, it's simple LED lights based display, which can be unclear, especially when making adjustments. It is clearly visible when wall mounted, but not visible if deck mounted unless you are standing over it. Also, it has no HDMI inputs. Instead, it has both types of S/PDIF connectors (optical and coaxial). This means it cannot receive HD audio bitstreams directly. In fact, it's can only read two sound formats, two channel PCM and Dolby Digital. It cannot read DTS, even in its core compressed form, which means that most BD movies would have to be re-encoded in the player (I believe all players can do this).

All that said, it is a satisfactory low profile sound bar, especially with devices that output Dolby Digital sound. Mind you, you might need a few minutes to synchronise it with the TV picture if connecting to external devices. This is probably the case with all sound bars.

Does anyone one of these? Pretty sure they are the same as the specs are identical. Ats1050 is on sale in richer sound and was going to buy, I assume any sound bar would improve on my TVs sounds? Panasonic 58ex700b
Thanks

Hi OP - Did you buy this soundbar? I recently got this from RS and trying to programme the Panasonic remote but with no luck? I hoping to avoid another remote but apparently it is not picking up the signal from the panasonic remote.. Wondering if this is a fault or incompatibility issue... Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated..

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom